EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   injen intake vs. aem intake (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/368913-injen-intake-vs-aem-intake.html)

jirro22 Sep 11, 2008 07:05 PM

injen intake vs. aem intake

hello,
i wanna ask some of u guys opinion on which intake would gain me more power, i saw a thread here before that an aem intake gained 30whp(plus other bolt ons and tune), but i havn't yet seen an injen intake that has some proof on real power gains...

my plan on tuning the evo x isnt much coz its my daily so for now i just wanna get an intake that will yield me the most hp possible w/o the ecu tune...

hopefullly someone can give some insights...i am not for the looks, i am for the power, and i careless for the sound, for me the more power the better but again this car is for daily use so i am not going to go crazy on aftermarket parts, just wanna change the intake for extra power and i want the most hp possible i can get for an intake....

thanks....

have a nice day....

flw_thewht_evo Sep 11, 2008 07:08 PM

You should take a look at AMS's intake...apparently it yields significant power gains and like all intakes it leans the car out which is good since we run pretty rich.

VincentX Sep 11, 2008 07:19 PM

Combine the AMS intake with the AEM cold air box.

Massappeal Sep 11, 2008 07:20 PM

AEM is the best! Why? cause I have it!:lol: most of the intake brands are going to be close to the same power increases. I chose aem because it will be carb legal soon, has a dryflow filter and a box to keep air cool. either way you cant go wrong!

JoeyM3 Sep 11, 2008 07:22 PM

personally i went with aem, a bit stealthier for us socal guys. im not a fan of badging, i have all matte black nisei pipes as well. if an average joe looked under my hood im pretty sure they would think it was stock {thumbup}

Guru Sep 11, 2008 08:21 PM

I'm not a big fan of either. Save yourself some moolah and just grab an AMS or UR intake. Both seem to give fantastic increases for not a lot of coin.

achoquechulin Sep 11, 2008 08:38 PM

AMS the best

ZEUS EVOX Sep 12, 2008 05:57 AM

Both are about the same. I have the injen and love it!

TTP Engineering Sep 12, 2008 06:05 AM

We will have a dynotested review of the INJEN Intake system up soon.

griffeyr Sep 12, 2008 06:13 AM

i have the injen and all their piping, and love it

jirro22 Sep 12, 2008 02:36 PM

thanks for the replies guys...
so far aem is winning... but i wanna hear more input..maybe someone can give some dyno proven results for the injen intake...

thanks again...

Defenseplaya89 Sep 12, 2008 02:48 PM

aem

nonschlont Sep 12, 2008 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by griffeyr (Post 6108766)
i have the injen and all their piping, and love it

+1

steinvb12 Sep 12, 2008 03:43 PM

I don't think any of them will yield much different gains....

It's a cone filter on a hard pipe......

dierr Sep 12, 2008 06:17 PM

i got the aem. i love mines

EVOxStuntin2008 Sep 12, 2008 06:44 PM

Pick your poison

maxx13 Sep 14, 2008 03:11 AM

aem,its a little louder than stock but not overboard, as far as gains go i havent dynoed it but it feels like a little gain, i love it, just my .02

triso Sep 14, 2008 04:51 AM

How much louder is the AMS intake from stock?

jirro22 Sep 14, 2008 06:13 PM

looks like aem is winning over injen....

element2zz Sep 14, 2008 10:28 PM

almost all intakes are going to give you the same sound...

your going to hear spool, and the stock bov aswell....

really brings the sound to life......i have just a cone filter right now, but i think im going to go with the injen... I have always found good results with them in the past...

fusionofideas Sep 25, 2008 03:54 PM

AEM destroys Injen intake proven by dyno

trust me go with the AEM. It looks like a stock unit and sounds boring but I pulled a solid 26whp on the dyno. I actually had the dealer install the injen with their claims of 28whp Later I went and worked with Mike at Road Race Engineering. We dyno'd the inje, Aem and stock. I ran 250whp with the stock intake, 252 with the Injen a whopping 2whp. (needless to say I was Pissed) and then we put the AEM on and threw down 26 whp (no BS). On the road there was a substantial difference between the two intakes. The AEM was a solid power with solid low end.
Also to mention that while I was running the Injen for about a month I also had the Greddy Full cat back. I removed the greddy and placed the stock exhaust when we installed the AEM because RRE custom fabricated a full turbo back exhaust. During the week with the stock exhaust and the AEM intake it was better than the months of the Injen and the Greddy exhaust.
Bottom Line if you get any mod get the AEM Intake it is worth it

EvoX_SA Sep 25, 2008 05:16 PM

I have the AEM and love it. Nothing to compare it too, but it looks good, CARB legal, and it has an airbox for around the same price as the other.

superman37r1 Sep 25, 2008 08:37 PM

Aem intake is quite as crap I can't hear spool and the bov can barely I mean barely heard...Nothing wrong with that but people are smoking crack if they think it loud...Its just like stock...

jirro22 Sep 26, 2008 05:44 AM

ok..i ordered an aem already and will keep u posted on how was it

Sicks Sep 26, 2008 07:14 AM

good choice. {thumbup} and before you ask, yes, there's supposed to be 2 holes on the suction pipe! :lol: the wastegate solenoid hose you pull off the OEM pipe, follow it back a couple inches and take out the splice adapter and plug directly in with your new lines.

Kisada Sep 28, 2008 05:27 PM

just installed my AEM today ... sounds good, feels good on the butt dyno, looks good, and carb legal is a bonus.

pretty easy install except for mine not having the proper size vacuum hose.

dierr Sep 28, 2008 05:40 PM

same here. the hose is too big and the clamp won't go on. so i maneuvered it so i can still use the stock hose but its a really tight fit. gotta go to napa or something to get the same hose just couple inches longes.

Stephen@Harman Sep 29, 2008 07:12 PM

AEM is a good intake because of the R&D done before the product is released. Our Harman Motive Intake is great also because of this reason. Great HP and TQ gains and also an optional Airbox is available that lowers intake temps 12-15 degrees at WOT! Check our intake out...https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=372229

sti_killa Oct 20, 2008 05:34 PM

Did you get it yet?

George@ICS Oct 20, 2008 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Defenseplaya89 (Post 6110640)
aem

I have the same intake and really like the way it looks, but most important performs. :)

-George Kakaletris

dcasandman Oct 20, 2008 06:01 PM

I have AEM its the first Mod that I have that I actually feel the power.

RicerX1 Oct 20, 2008 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by fusionofideas (Post 6158437)
trust me go with the AEM. It looks like a stock unit and sounds boring but I pulled a solid 26whp on the dyno. I actually had the dealer install the injen with their claims of 28whp Later I went and worked with Mike at Road Race Engineering. We dyno'd the inje, Aem and stock. I ran 250whp with the stock intake, 252 with the Injen a whopping 2whp. (needless to say I was Pissed) and then we put the AEM on and threw down 26 whp (no BS). On the road there was a substantial difference between the two intakes. The AEM was a solid power with solid low end.
Also to mention that while I was running the Injen for about a month I also had the Greddy Full cat back. I removed the greddy and placed the stock exhaust when we installed the AEM because RRE custom fabricated a full turbo back exhaust. During the week with the stock exhaust and the AEM intake it was better than the months of the Injen and the Greddy exhaust.
Bottom Line if you get any mod get the AEM Intake it is worth it

That convinced me, I'm going with AEM.

philamthebest Oct 23, 2008 09:25 AM

I have AMS and you can feel significant power..... love it.

dbrooks05@yahoo Oct 23, 2008 10:24 AM

I have the injen intake with the upper intercooler piping and it great. I feel power gains and you can hear the stock BOV!!!!!! Mine is polished and it looks great to me

JaCe Apr 26, 2010 02:33 AM

Hope I don't regret my Injen > AEM decision lols

WWIXMR Apr 26, 2010 12:29 PM

I'm looking at getting an intake soon and am also debating whether to get the AEM or Injen.
From what it looks like the AEM looks more favorable, but has anyone tested them both recently?

monkey_187 Apr 26, 2010 05:28 PM

All these guys are just giving you a brand and no data to back it up. An intake is only as good as the tune behind it. If you dont get a good tune you will see little to none of a difference. Dont listen to the guys just naming a brand, look in the dyno section and see the difference in each. Its your money you can listen to the name callers if you like, I go for results not what the groupies are after.

stEVOLUTION_X Apr 26, 2010 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by JaCe (Post 8240908)

Same thing

JaxRRevoX Apr 26, 2010 05:52 PM

Im surprised no one mentioned ETS's intake.....

danielskshin Apr 26, 2010 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by JaCe (Post 8240908)

You won't. :thumbup:

Wrex1977 Nov 30, 2010 11:19 AM

I am also in the market for an intake and this post has been helpful. But like JaxRRevoX said, what about ETS. I do like the fact the AEM has the box and makes good power. I have never really like Injen (more show than go) from my experiences with my Subby.

AEM is also cheaper than AMS by far but AMS like AEM does alot of R&D.

Don't know confused as well.

Chang_Wufei_05 Dec 5, 2010 11:38 AM

In the market as well. What about Harman Motive's? Very similar/maybe knockoff of AEM's but much cheaper.

StreetGasm Maus Dec 6, 2010 12:32 AM

im in the market too.

at this moment i'am very much attracted to the injen combi ( air intake + uicp )

i dont hear to much reviews on this one!! ???

anyone who is able to tell some more about the big differences..

NOte :

I REALLY LIKE the noise of spooling turbo and blowing BOV's , so as far as i have read the AEM isn't what i should go for ?