EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   Best aftermarket turbo for an EVO X? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/754174-best-aftermarket-turbo-evo-x.html)

KillaYayo Apr 28, 2019 03:08 PM

Best aftermarket turbo for an EVO X?

What’s up folks, i have a full bolt on Evo X, tuned of course and have been doing research for the next step which would be a bigger turbo. I was wondering which aftermarket turbo would be BEST for an Evo X, meaning the most HP and comparability is best for an EVO X. Please let me know what you guys think

Biggiesacks Apr 28, 2019 04:27 PM

You need to give more information about what your goals are. There is no one size fits all anything. So the more detail you can provide about what you have, what you want, and what you can spend the better the advice will be.

KillaYayo Apr 29, 2019 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11870406)
You need to give more information about what your goals are. There is no one size fits all anything. So the more detail you can provide about what you have, what you want, and what you can spend the better the advice will be.

so my car has all bolt ons stock engine and I’m currently pushing about 320 HP and 27 PSI(i lost 30 HP when i re tuned my car to 91 octane to come to the west coast.) i want more HP but i can still daily drive the vehicle and not go to crazy with it. I know Evo’s hold up to 500 HP on a stock engine block. I already have injectors, i purchased a fuel pump and fuel rails. I guess they don’t make FP Black for Evo X so I’m looking into a GEN 2 GTX3071R turbo.

PhantomBlackEVOX Apr 29, 2019 08:36 AM

If you switch to E85 and throw an FP red on there you should be able to make 500 WHP or close to it with little turbo lag. But I am sure there are many other ways and other turbos to do so just mho.

Metal_AF Apr 29, 2019 10:25 AM

If you check out a few build threads, looks like the MHI-18k's get you into low 400's.
Might want to check out a BW EFR 76/70 setup too.

Don't know what your goals are or how deep you want to go though.

KillaYayo Apr 29, 2019 11:17 AM

I’m trying to stay away from E85, because of the strain it may cause on the engine from what i hear. Nothing crazy just some power for me but i already have all the bolts ons so the next step would be the turbo along with the fuel pump and fuel rails that’s why I’m doing research

splattj Apr 29, 2019 11:51 AM

Street? Drag? Auto-X? Road Course? Rally? Are you looking to stay way from clutch and other drivetrain upgrades? Stock frame/manifold or are you fine going tubular/aftermarket? Budget? I mean, you can get your stock turbo built to make 400whp on pump gas with cams and supporting fuel mods or you can go with turbos that will support 5-6-700hp+ What are your goals other than "some more power"?

The easy answer is the MHI18k upgrade but you would be disappointed if you're looking for 100+hp over where you're at.....

KillaYayo Apr 29, 2019 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by splattj (Post 11870500)
Street? Drag? Auto-X? Road Course? Rally? Are you looking to stay way from clutch and other drivetrain upgrades? Stock frame/manifold or are you fine going tubular/aftermarket? Budget? I mean, you can get your stock turbo built to make 400whp on pump gas with cams and supporting fuel mods or you can go with turbos that will support 5-6-700hp+ What are your goals other than "some more power"?

The easy answer is the MHI18k upgrade but you would be disappointed if you're looking for 100+hp over where you're at.....

i have a Evo X gsr. I looked into getting a Gen 2 GTX3071R. My goals right now is just more power that’s why I’m just getting the turbo and upgraded fuel pump. In the future i May start upgrading everything else around the engine that’s why i want to stay under 500 WHP if possible since the stock engine block can hold that. This turbo I’m getting is pretty beast.

PhantomBlackEVOX Apr 30, 2019 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by KillaYayo (Post 11870497)
I’m trying to stay away from E85, because of the strain it may cause on the engine from what i hear. Nothing crazy just some power for me but i already have all the bolts ons so the next step would be the turbo along with the fuel pump and fuel rails that’s why I’m doing research

If you do some quick research on E85 youll see some benefits of it more then negatives. Ill post a link to E85 on this forum where you can check it out. The only real con with it is you lose some fuel economy but gain power, less chance of knock and detonation, but youll need the fuel system to handle it. Check it for yourself if you run properly its a solid transition. Friend of mine is running an FP red with 272 cams on e85 and is sitting around 515 WHP with almost factory spool on the turbo. (key word ALMOST factory spool still a little more lag then stock but not by much)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e8...going-e85.html

Either way Subscribing to see the route you eventually go!

LetsGetThisDone Apr 30, 2019 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by KillaYayo (Post 11870497)

E85 doesn't strain the engine. More HP and torque does.

An MHI 18k would be the best option for a bolt on turbo.

Otherwise I'd move to a turbo kit with a gen2 precision 5558. But you really need to lay out your power goals.

Biggiesacks Apr 30, 2019 08:37 AM

well OP said he wants to keep the stock shortblock so IMO a bolt on turbo is going to be the simplest, cheapest, most reliable option. E85 is a superior fuel in every way but energy density. It compares to gasoline to the tune of 105 octane give or take the blend. The two big road blocks are availability and consistency. If you have those, then just look at it as government subsidized race gas.

gintense Jun 7, 2019 03:41 AM

Definitely go E85.
The fuel alone doesn't strain the engine, increased peak cylinder pressure from ignition advance and boost does though!

Aristocrat Dave Jun 19, 2019 06:07 PM

OP is E85 readily available in your area?

Siikevox11 Jul 11, 2019 01:12 PM

I've ran a few turbos on my ex. my first set up was FBO with full race exhaust manifold and an FP black. second setup i ran fully built motor with ETS 6266 Vband kit. the FP black was bad, just laggy with stock interals and 93 oct. My current setup i absolutely love. its a perfect balance (IMO) Like everyone is saying, it depends what you goals are, you can run a garret gen2 3076r, or you can go bigger. Do you plan on building your motor?

LetsGetThisDone Jul 11, 2019 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Siikevox11
I've ran a few turbos on my ex. my first set up was FBO with full race exhaust manifold and an FP black. second setup i ran fully built motor with ETS 6266 Vband kit. the FP black was bad, just laggy with stock interals and 93 oct. My current setup i absolutely love. its a perfect balance (IMO) Like everyone is saying, it depends what you goals are, you can run a garret gen2 3076r, or you can go bigger. Do you plan on building your motor?

It's not an ex. It's Roman numeral X (10).

Baffling this still has to be explained lol