Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best aftermarket turbo for an EVO X?

 
Old Apr 28, 2019, 03:08 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
KillaYayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best aftermarket turbo for an EVO X?

Whatís up folks, i have a full bolt on Evo X, tuned of course and have been doing research for the next step which would be a bigger turbo. I was wondering which aftermarket turbo would be BEST for an Evo X, meaning the most HP and comparability is best for an EVO X. Please let me know what you guys think
KillaYayo is offline  
Old Apr 28, 2019, 04:27 PM
  #2  
Evolved Member
 
Biggiesacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 3,613
Received 240 Likes on 225 Posts
You need to give more information about what your goals are. There is no one size fits all anything. So the more detail you can provide about what you have, what you want, and what you can spend the better the advice will be.
Biggiesacks is online now  
Old Apr 29, 2019, 08:17 AM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
KillaYayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks View Post
You need to give more information about what your goals are. There is no one size fits all anything. So the more detail you can provide about what you have, what you want, and what you can spend the better the advice will be.
so my car has all bolt ons stock engine and Iím currently pushing about 320 HP and 27 PSI(i lost 30 HP when i re tuned my car to 91 octane to come to the west coast.) i want more HP but i can still daily drive the vehicle and not go to crazy with it. I know Evoís hold up to 500 HP on a stock engine block. I already have injectors, i purchased a fuel pump and fuel rails. I guess they donít make FP Black for Evo X so Iím looking into a GEN 2 GTX3071R turbo.
KillaYayo is offline  
Old Apr 29, 2019, 08:36 AM
  #4  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (6)
 
PhantomBlackEVOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 177
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you switch to E85 and throw an FP red on there you should be able to make 500 WHP or close to it with little turbo lag. But I am sure there are many other ways and other turbos to do so just mho.
PhantomBlackEVOX is online now  
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:25 AM
  #5  
Newbie
 
Metal_AF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 74
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you check out a few build threads, looks like the MHI-18k's get you into low 400's.
Might want to check out a BW EFR 76/70 setup too.

Don't know what your goals are or how deep you want to go though.
Metal_AF is offline  
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:17 AM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
KillaYayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iím trying to stay away from E85, because of the strain it may cause on the engine from what i hear. Nothing crazy just some power for me but i already have all the bolts ons so the next step would be the turbo along with the fuel pump and fuel rails thatís why Iím doing research
KillaYayo is offline  
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:51 AM
  #7  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Allendale, MI
Posts: 706
Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Street? Drag? Auto-X? Road Course? Rally? Are you looking to stay way from clutch and other drivetrain upgrades? Stock frame/manifold or are you fine going tubular/aftermarket? Budget? I mean, you can get your stock turbo built to make 400whp on pump gas with cams and supporting fuel mods or you can go with turbos that will support 5-6-700hp+ What are your goals other than "some more power"?

The easy answer is the MHI18k upgrade but you would be disappointed if you're looking for 100+hp over where you're at.....
splattj is offline  
Old Apr 29, 2019, 05:10 PM
  #8  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
KillaYayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by splattj View Post
Street? Drag? Auto-X? Road Course? Rally? Are you looking to stay way from clutch and other drivetrain upgrades? Stock frame/manifold or are you fine going tubular/aftermarket? Budget? I mean, you can get your stock turbo built to make 400whp on pump gas with cams and supporting fuel mods or you can go with turbos that will support 5-6-700hp+ What are your goals other than "some more power"?

The easy answer is the MHI18k upgrade but you would be disappointed if you're looking for 100+hp over where you're at.....
i have a Evo X gsr. I looked into getting a Gen 2 GTX3071R. My goals right now is just more power thatís why Iím just getting the turbo and upgraded fuel pump. In the future i May start upgrading everything else around the engine thatís why i want to stay under 500 WHP if possible since the stock engine block can hold that. This turbo Iím getting is pretty beast.
KillaYayo is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2019, 06:21 AM
  #9  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (6)
 
PhantomBlackEVOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 177
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KillaYayo View Post
Iím trying to stay away from E85, because of the strain it may cause on the engine from what i hear. Nothing crazy just some power for me but i already have all the bolts ons so the next step would be the turbo along with the fuel pump and fuel rails thatís why Iím doing research
If you do some quick research on E85 youll see some benefits of it more then negatives. Ill post a link to E85 on this forum where you can check it out. The only real con with it is you lose some fuel economy but gain power, less chance of knock and detonation, but youll need the fuel system to handle it. Check it for yourself if you run properly its a solid transition. Friend of mine is running an FP red with 272 cams on e85 and is sitting around 515 WHP with almost factory spool on the turbo. (key word ALMOST factory spool still a little more lag then stock but not by much)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e8...going-e85.html

Either way Subscribing to see the route you eventually go!
PhantomBlackEVOX is online now  
Old Apr 30, 2019, 08:29 AM
  #10  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 12,541
Received 758 Likes on 711 Posts
Originally Posted by KillaYayo View Post
Iím trying to stay away from E85, because of the strain it may cause on the engine from what i hear. Nothing crazy just some power for me but i already have all the bolts ons so the next step would be the turbo along with the fuel pump and fuel rails thatís why Iím doing research
E85 doesn't strain the engine. More HP and torque does.

An MHI 18k would be the best option for a bolt on turbo.

Otherwise I'd move to a turbo kit with a gen2 precision 5558. But you really need to lay out your power goals.
letsgetthisdone is offline  
Old Apr 30, 2019, 08:37 AM
  #11  
Evolved Member
 
Biggiesacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 3,613
Received 240 Likes on 225 Posts
well OP said he wants to keep the stock shortblock so IMO a bolt on turbo is going to be the simplest, cheapest, most reliable option. E85 is a superior fuel in every way but energy density. It compares to gasoline to the tune of 105 octane give or take the blend. The two big road blocks are availability and consistency. If you have those, then just look at it as government subsidized race gas.
Biggiesacks is online now  
Old Jun 7, 2019, 03:41 AM
  #12  
Newbie
 
gintense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 5
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely go E85.
The fuel alone doesn't strain the engine, increased peak cylinder pressure from ignition advance and boost does though!
gintense is offline  
Old Jun 19, 2019, 06:07 PM
  #13  
Silver Sponsor
iTrader: (3)
 
Aristocrat Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Yorba Linda & Rancho Cucamonga
Posts: 197
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP is E85 readily available in your area?
Aristocrat Dave is offline  
Old Jul 11, 2019, 01:12 PM
  #14  
Newbie
 
Siikevox11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: new jersey
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've ran a few turbos on my ex. my first set up was FBO with full race exhaust manifold and an FP black. second setup i ran fully built motor with ETS 6266 Vband kit. the FP black was bad, just laggy with stock interals and 93 oct. My current setup i absolutely love. its a perfect balance (IMO) Like everyone is saying, it depends what you goals are, you can run a garret gen2 3076r, or you can go bigger. Do you plan on building your motor?
Siikevox11 is online now  
Old Jul 11, 2019, 01:18 PM
  #15  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 12,541
Received 758 Likes on 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Siikevox11
I've ran a few turbos on my ex. my first set up was FBO with full race exhaust manifold and an FP black. second setup i ran fully built motor with ETS 6266 Vband kit. the FP black was bad, just laggy with stock interals and 93 oct. My current setup i absolutely love. its a perfect balance (IMO) Like everyone is saying, it depends what you goals are, you can run a garret gen2 3076r, or you can go bigger. Do you plan on building your motor?
It's not an ex. It's Roman numeral X (10).

Baffling this still has to be explained lol
letsgetthisdone is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.