EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   Quiet Exhaust without Retune (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/762116-quiet-exhaust-without-retune.html)

gabessdsp Sep 13, 2021 11:38 AM

Quiet Exhaust without Retune

Hey everyone, been a while since I've posted at EvoM. I just bought a 2011 MR-T, and the first thing I need to do is figure out how to quiet down the exhaust. It's straight piped, so my first thought was throw in a high-flow cat or a resonator. But doing searches online suggest that I might need to get a re-tune if I get a high-flow cat. If I do that is fine, it's just going to delay the process. So I am reaching out to see the thoughts or gain knowledge form others who know more, and wondering if I do need a re-tune with the cat, would I need one for a resonator?

RazorLab Sep 13, 2021 12:50 PM

What system is on the car now?

gabessdsp Sep 13, 2021 01:48 PM

It appears to be an Invidia single exit cat-back exhaust, with what I assume is a custom welded straight pipe to replace the cat.

Maybe the Invidia Titanium racing N1?

RazorLab Sep 13, 2021 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by gabessdsp (Post 11941176)
It appears to be an Invidia single exit cat-back exhaust, with what I assume is a custom welded straight pipe to replace the cat.

Maybe the Invidia Titanium racing N1?

The single exits are usually louder than the dual. Resonator won't do much for the loudness. I would look at a mini-muffler. Those make much more of a difference. They even sell Mini-muffler test pipes that bolt right in. Would not need a re-tune.

If you really want to quiet it down, a cat plus a mini-muffler. Or two mini-mufflers. I had two mini-mufflers on mine, one in the cat section and one in the mid-pipe section, and it made a substantial difference. I got used to it and I recently replaced my mini-muffler test pipe with a GESI HP cat and the car got substantially louder.

gabessdsp Sep 13, 2021 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab (Post 11941178)
The single exits are usually louder than the dual. Resonator won't do much for the loudness. I would look at a mini-muffler. Those make much more of a difference. They even sell Mini-muffler test pipes that bolt right in. Would not need a re-tune.

If you really want to quiet it down, a cat plus a mini-muffler. Or two mini-mufflers. I had two mini-mufflers on mine, one in the cat section and one in the mid-pipe section, and it made a substantial difference. I got used to it and I recently replaced my mini-muffler test pipe with a GESI HP cat and the car got substantially louder.

The mini-mufflers look pretty promising, just slap it in there were the cat would've been and that's awesome that it wouldn't need a re-tune. I guess I could also just switch to a dual exit axle-back or cat-back whichever makes more sense. Thank you for your help! :)

I want to have a nice sound when I'm on the throttle at speed, but when I start up in the morning and go 15mph towards the main road I see no need to have it be where it's at. I'll have to mess around with the options I suppose to get it just right

RazorLab Sep 13, 2021 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by gabessdsp (Post 11941179)
The mini-mufflers look pretty promising, just slap it in there were the cat would've been and that's awesome that it wouldn't need a re-tune. I guess I could also just switch to a dual exit axle-back or cat-back whichever makes more sense. Thank you for your help! :)

I want to have a nice sound when I'm on the throttle at speed, but when I start up in the morning and go 15mph towards the main road I see no need to have it be where it's at. I'll have to mess around with the options I suppose to get it just right

No problem, hope it helps. Here is a reference of where I put the second mini muffler in the midpipe, right between the fuel tank saddle. This location should work for pretty much any catback out there.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...d55587b2d.jpeg