Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quiet Exhaust without Retune

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quiet Exhaust without Retune

Hey everyone, been a while since I've posted at EvoM. I just bought a 2011 MR-T, and the first thing I need to do is figure out how to quiet down the exhaust. It's straight piped, so my first thought was throw in a high-flow cat or a resonator. But doing searches online suggest that I might need to get a re-tune if I get a high-flow cat. If I do that is fine, it's just going to delay the process. So I am reaching out to see the thoughts or gain knowledge form others who know more, and wondering if I do need a re-tune with the cat, would I need one for a resonator?
Old Sep 13, 2021, 12:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
What system is on the car now?
Old Sep 13, 2021, 01:48 PM

It appears to be an Invidia single exit cat-back exhaust, with what I assume is a custom welded straight pipe to replace the cat.

Maybe the Invidia Titanium racing N1?
Old Sep 13, 2021, 03:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by gabessdsp
It appears to be an Invidia single exit cat-back exhaust, with what I assume is a custom welded straight pipe to replace the cat.

Maybe the Invidia Titanium racing N1?
The single exits are usually louder than the dual. Resonator won't do much for the loudness. I would look at a mini-muffler. Those make much more of a difference. They even sell Mini-muffler test pipes that bolt right in. Would not need a re-tune.

If you really want to quiet it down, a cat plus a mini-muffler. Or two mini-mufflers. I had two mini-mufflers on mine, one in the cat section and one in the mid-pipe section, and it made a substantial difference. I got used to it and I recently replaced my mini-muffler test pipe with a GESI HP cat and the car got substantially louder.
The following users liked this post:
gabessdsp (Sep 14, 2021)
Old Sep 13, 2021, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
The single exits are usually louder than the dual. Resonator won't do much for the loudness. I would look at a mini-muffler. Those make much more of a difference. They even sell Mini-muffler test pipes that bolt right in. Would not need a re-tune.

If you really want to quiet it down, a cat plus a mini-muffler. Or two mini-mufflers. I had two mini-mufflers on mine, one in the cat section and one in the mid-pipe section, and it made a substantial difference. I got used to it and I recently replaced my mini-muffler test pipe with a GESI HP cat and the car got substantially louder.
The mini-mufflers look pretty promising, just slap it in there were the cat would've been and that's awesome that it wouldn't need a re-tune. I guess I could also just switch to a dual exit axle-back or cat-back whichever makes more sense. Thank you for your help!

I want to have a nice sound when I'm on the throttle at speed, but when I start up in the morning and go 15mph towards the main road I see no need to have it be where it's at. I'll have to mess around with the options I suppose to get it just right
Old Sep 13, 2021, 04:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by gabessdsp
The mini-mufflers look pretty promising, just slap it in there were the cat would've been and that's awesome that it wouldn't need a re-tune. I guess I could also just switch to a dual exit axle-back or cat-back whichever makes more sense. Thank you for your help!

I want to have a nice sound when I'm on the throttle at speed, but when I start up in the morning and go 15mph towards the main road I see no need to have it be where it's at. I'll have to mess around with the options I suppose to get it just right
No problem, hope it helps. Here is a reference of where I put the second mini muffler in the midpipe, right between the fuel tank saddle. This location should work for pretty much any catback out there.

The following users liked this post:
gabessdsp (Sep 14, 2021)