Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X Test On a Closed track part DEUX!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2007, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet! But i'm still getting the 5-speed for fun factor.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 08:35 PM

It looks like in S-Sport mode it does a great job of keeping the revs up and downshifting in the turns but did anyone notice at around 4:00 he appears to force a manual upshift and there's a noticeable lag before you hear the engine revs change? Tough to say if it's a video sync issue or something else going on or maybe he wasn't really manually shifting there? and there's a video edit cut a few seconds later for some reason.

The fully automatic modes look great and gear changes sound fast but I hope the manual shift response isn't that slow.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 09:02 PM

Are the paddle shifters stationary, behind the steering wheel or do the move with the steering wheel like are they attached to them?

Because just the other day i drove an 03 M3 with a SMG tranny and paddle shiffter attached to the steering wheel and it's a pain in the *** to turn and shift the paddles because your arm gets all twisted

EDIT: NVM just watched the video completely and i understand japanese. At 2:54 he mentions that in s-sport manual he recommends using the stick instead of the paddles because it's a pain to shift and turn w/ the paddles.

Maybe mitsu should have made the paddles shifters stationary

if anyone want to know what he's saying pm me.

Last edited by Advent7; Oct 27, 2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

paddles ARE stationary.. you misunderstood him.. he said its not easy to shift the hands to the paddles.. not twist..
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Advent7
Are the paddle shifters stationary, behind the steering wheel or do the move with the steering wheel like are they attached to them?

Because just the other day i drove an 03 M3 with a SMG tranny and paddle shiffter attached to the steering wheel and it's a pain in the *** to turn and shift the paddles because your arm gets all twisted

EDIT: NVM just watched the video completely and i understand japanese. At 2:54 he mentions that in s-sport manual he recommends using the stick instead of the paddles because it's a pain to shift and turn w/ the paddles.

I can see where having the paddles on the wheel might be a problem on the street (ala M3) when drivers saw (hand over hand) at the wheel but for track use you rarely need to remove your hands from the '10 and 2' position, which is exactly where the paddles are positioned. Besides, when indulging in some 'spirited' driving almost all shifting should be done before or after a turn so as to not upset the car during mid-turn. I've driven both types on track (fixed to the wheel and column mounted) and with a little practice both work just fine.
Now a positive note on the new SST system in the Evo X is that it was designed to allow shifting mid-turn (if you have to) and not upset the car. Nice...

Last edited by eddie; Oct 27, 2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

"My SST tranny crapped out on me from launching and my dealer won't cover it under warranty."

I can see it now.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't seen this one posted either, it popped up watching the first video. Nice demo of the ASC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ySBc0_3ml4
Old Oct 28, 2007, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

I think the only thing that car needs is optional earplugs for its driver. What an unpleasant exhaust note. I have no doubt about the X's abilities though.

Having stationary paddles makes absolutely no sense. All paddles should follow the steering wheel.

Last edited by NJ Drive; Oct 28, 2007 at 05:21 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Advent7

The paddles are stationary.
They are used more for the purpose for str8line driving. Use the stick shift for bends and use the paddles for str8lines.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

if you're shifting mid-turn, you're in the wrong gear. simple as that.

if any of you guys ride motorcycles, you'd know what i mean. try mid-corner shifting on a bike and you'll end up on the ground under a truck tire, a van tire, a car tire, or wherever the rest of your bits are...
Old Oct 28, 2007, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by madfast
if you're shifting mid-turn, you're in the wrong gear. simple as that.
Oh really? I always go from 3rd to 2nd and clutch kicking when I turn.... Just kidding.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HeLLA JDM y0
"My SST tranny crapped out on me from launching and my dealer won't cover it under warranty."

I can see it now.
Wait? You bought a new X and it already blew-up? What happened? How many launches did you attempt?
Old Oct 28, 2007, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eddie
Wait? You bought a new X and it already blew-up? What happened? How many launches did you attempt?
read alittle slower
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Week 1:New paddle shifters weee... Just like F1!

week 2: Oh wait I can't steer and shift, so I use the console shifter...

week 3: Ignore the console and paddles and drive an automatic...It shifts itself perfectly well on it's own...
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wingless
Week 1:New paddle shifters weee... Just like F1!

week 2: Oh wait I can't steer and shift, so I use the console shifter...

week 3: Ignore the console and paddles and drive an automatic...It shifts itself perfectly well on it's own...

Never played with paddle shifts before ??

There's pros and cons in attaching the paddles to the wheels ..

Pros are obviously the shifters are there whenever you need it..

Cons are when you're coming out of a 135 degree corner and hitting the rev limiter and you're confused which is the upshift and which is the downshift as the steering is upside down now

With the paddles mounted stationary on the column, you'll still be able to reach the paddles with the tip of your fingers in WHATEVER position your hands are at.. probably limiting position is the 6-12 o clock position ..
Attached Thumbnails EVO X Test On a Closed track part DEUX!!!-paddleshift.jpg  

Quick Reply: EVO X Test On a Closed track part DEUX!!!