Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Track day results

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OH yeah...with the asc in full control, can you run most of the course flat-out? i was following my friend's X around the long turn from cedar hills to 26W, the road was wet, and he's never done any performance driving...yet he managed to just mash on the gas and leave me in the dust while i was on the edge of sliding into the wall! i felt like i was in the twilight zone...
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Man, you should have introduced yourself Machron!

If the ASC is on, and it detects wheel slippage, it will kill the throttle. With ASC off, you get the braking control, but no throttle cut. With ASC disengaged, you get no braking or throttle cuts.

I just put up another video of the instructor having an issue with the AYC system. I like to call it the "Dont try to correct the car" maneuver

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a...55002868d7.htm

My lap times Averaged 1:37, and I had a couple in the 1:36 range, but most were 1:37 - 1:39
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXEvo

If the ASC is on, and it detects wheel slippage, it will kill the throttle. With ASC off, you get the braking control, but no throttle cut. With ASC disengaged, you get no braking or throttle cuts.

I just put up another video of the instructor having an issue with the AYC system. I like to call it the "Dont try to correct the car" maneuver

My lap times Averaged 1:37, and I had a couple in the 1:36 range, but most were 1:37 - 1:39
Care to share what other cars were running for reference?
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

I wish I knew man. Does it help if I told you I was passing everyone? I know the Performance group was running a bit faster, but they were also doing 150 in the straights, where I was only getting up to 120-130. The track is still so new, no one really has a base reference time yet. We will know more towards the end of the year. However, on the last track setup, which didnt have the hair pin for turn 7, you were a fast car around 1:31, and really fast anytime below 1:30. Track record, for a stock car, was 1:26, which was run in a fully race suspension built Vette. My fastest time ever was 1:31 on that track, and I averaged 1:33 on the stock Advans.

Last edited by PDXEvo; Mar 4, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

I wish I knew man. Does it help if I told you I was passing everyone?
That is quite enough PDX, quite enough
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

I had a guy I know running his 400WHP STi wagon out there. Ill find out what his times were. That should give us some sort of baseline. He is a good driver too, so it will be a decent baseline. And no, I wasnt passing him, he was in the advanced group. I don't have enough power to be in that class without just being in the way.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

I had a guy I know running his 400WHP STi wagon out there. Ill find out what his times were. That should give us some sort of baseline. He is a good driver too, so it will be a decent baseline. And no, I wasnt passing him, he was in the advanced group. I don't have enough power to be in that class without just being in the way.
That would be nice, thanks a lot
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

I can't really hear what the instructor is saying... lol.. i hear laughing and THis is AWESOME.. but that's bout it.. and my speakers are maxed
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Camera doesnt pick up much sound because its in a water proof case. The motor comes through real well because the sound vibrates along the body, and into the camera casing.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 01:38 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I went over to check out your car but you weren't near it at the time. I got there toward the end of the day and saw 2 sessions total, including yours. I drove down to the chicane and left from there. BTW I'm that guy who had nearly the same license plate number as you when you had your VIII. Dunno if you remember, but we were BS-ing at clutch doctors while having our clutches put in one day. I believe you know my friend Jeff with the white X as well. Small place this.

Can't wait to get on that new track. Just for comparison's sake, it would be interesting to see how a mildly-modded (TBE, EBC, Flash, & Springs) VIII stands up to a stock X. Watching that video, man those diffs look like they really work well to rotate the car. I bet it's fun as hell to play with.

And about the ASC, I understand the operation in theory, but what parts of the track can you run absolutely flat-out with the ASC in "maximum nanny" mode? Like, after the chicane, can you pretty much just floor it, shift as necessary, and let the ECU figure out how much throttle/brake to give it till maybe the end of the back straight? Seems like such an aggressive power cut combined with the active braking, it could very well just act like a racing game with all the driving aids turned on if you wanted it to. I'm not suggesting that's a fun thing to do, I'm just curious as to how effective the system is when the nannies are in charge of maximum attack...
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Where you using stock brake pads?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

I think he mentioned all he did for the brakes was add the air guides. that's amazing seeing as how my first track day in the VIII it was bone stock and it took all of 1 stopping event on the front straight of this very track to cook the brakes, and i had to adjust my braking point back to just before the braking zone markers lol. i think about 600 iirc. what's worse, i accidentally put on hawk hps pads one day thinking they were hp+ and i had to adjust it all the way back to the start finish line! don't know why those pads are so popular. even for mild street duty they suck. for reference, it looked like PDXevo was braking around the 400-300 mark. for what it's worth, with hawk blues and 300 or so less pounds, my point was not much closer than that if any, depending on whether i was hard on the brakes after just passing someone fast.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

damn, straight pimpin'!
Old Mar 5, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

I loved the laughing in your video. You guys must have had a blast.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Man I really want a MR now, watching that video was like when I went from my NSX to my evo, 100% different. In the evo you keep in the gas and steer that way, do that in the NSX and you spin around. So in this evo do you just keep in the gas to keep the car planed or trail break?

Quick Reply: Track day results