Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Yay! My handbrake cover popped off!

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's called leaving your car in gear once it's been turned off. I think it's user related to an extent, somethings are going to take place (that aren't user related), but before you go and post on a message board you need to contact your dealer first, I've seen no issues so far where the dealer hasn't taken care of our problems. It's a brand new car from the ground up, what did you think you were buying? A car made of carbon fiber and kevlar.
Old May 10, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Are these shift knobs and e-brake handles the port added up level trim pieces or just the plain jane base plastic oem handle that you get on the base GSR? I hadn't noticed any cheese factor with mine yet (except for the fact that the handle isn't leather wrapped).
Old May 10, 2008, 02:06 PM

yeah i had my ebrake handle came off the first week i had it. THe screw on the bottom must have been put in in a hurry, but i just screwed it back on. sorry to hear yours is stripped. either way, its gone to come off with a hard pull... very bad design
Old May 12, 2008, 10:16 PM

Mine came off too. But, this is a super easy fix. There's just one screw on the bottom that's a recessed allen key type. At first glance, it looks like the screw is missing, but it's in there. The two on the top are just cosmetic -- If you attempt to tighten those, they'll likely think you're stripping them since it's just aluminum trim cast into the handle.

This is nothing major at all -- not even worth a trip to the dealer.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:12 PM

mine hasn't fallen off
Old May 13, 2008, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

People have to realize concessions must be made for cars in this price range.

Go to your local BMW or Audi dealer and write the check if you want better materials.

People want, want, want. 300hp, AWD, Recaros, BBS rims...and then sell it me for 35k. And then complain all day on forums how cars are too expensive.

Where do think cuts have to be made?

There's always going to be a certain amount of cheapness in japanese/asian cars like these when it comes to materials.

Lean to live with it, or spend more money for something nicer.
Old May 13, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

There's always going to be a certain amount of cheapness in japanese/asian cars like these when it comes to materials.

+1111111111!! Nicely said my friend, I agree completely.
Old May 13, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Resist the syst
My aero rocker panel has dropped a few cm on the one side, and no, no one's stepped on it to enter the car! My passenger recaro seat also met it's maker a few days back, I have an appointment Monday at 9 a. Big whoop, we have a few small issues, I like being a test bunny as long as it's nothing major (i.e. Corvette). This is a new car from the ground up, I expected this.
Remember when I told you to wait for that seat to pop No harm. Thats why I'm waiting . I'm fine with my ix even though i almost traded it in like 3 times

Last edited by kobi2002; May 13, 2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old May 13, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06 MR
well i had the same problem with my e brake handle too and i cant find the damn screw i thought it was only me having this problem.. same thing happened to my shift knob when it was cold out the adhesive that holds the shift knob on the plastic thing with the threads kept coming off so now i have a arc shiftknob and a bare metal ebrake handle until i go to mitsu for a new screw. and also something is wrong with my trans it wont go into first gear anymore. 1100 miles. damn.
Old May 13, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

If I'm not mistaken...aren't the shift knob and ebrake handle dealer installed?

Mine fell off...and I had them fix it when I took it in for the re-flash. Haven't had an issue since.
Old May 13, 2008, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
People have to realize concessions must be made for cars in this price range.

Go to your local BMW or Audi dealer and write the check if you want better materials.

People want, want, want. 300hp, AWD, Recaros, BBS rims...and then sell it me for 35k. And then complain all day on forums how cars are too expensive.

Where do think cuts have to be made?

I paid 27k for my ix se with now 16k on it and have yet to have any problem. Many people paid 35k for there 9 with bbs , better recaro's and AWD with close to 300 hp and did not have these problems. I know of many cars that are not called nice but are built better. Like i told my wife, when you pay over 30k for a car you would expect to have a decent car. Not perfect but decent. When you are paying 600 a month in some cases and all this $hit happens then that person has every right to be pissed. last i check 30k is not easy to come by. I feel this car was rushed . it's a great car, but Ill pass till next model year. And by the way the X's don't have bbs rims yet so that throws that argument out the window

Last edited by kobi2002; May 13, 2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old May 13, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kobi2002
I paid 27k for my ix se with now 16k on it and have yet to have any problem. I know of many cars that are not called nice but are built better. Like i told my wife, when you pay over 30k for a car you would expect to have a decent car. Not perfect but decent. When you are paying 600 a month in some cases and all this $hit happens then that person has every right to be pissed. last i check 30k is not easy to come by. I feel this car was rushed . it's a great car, but Ill pass till next model year.

I think it's a lot of the "squeaky wheel" effect on forums as well. People rave about German cars (which for the most part are great) but both my Audi A4 and S4 had repeated issues with coil packs...and I paid $36K and $44K respectively. Bottom line is that no car is going to be free of problems, no matter how much you pay. Just ask the TVR owners .
Old May 13, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boostd4
I think it's a lot of the "squeaky wheel" effect on forums as well. People rave about German cars (which for the most part are great) but both my Audi A4 and S4 had repeated issues with coil packs...and I paid $36K and $44K respectively. Bottom line is that no car is going to be free of problems, no matter how much you pay. Just ask the TVR owners .
Your right that no car would be perfect but You as a person have the right to accept it or not. if people get pissed and move from mitsu, thats their choice. maybe thats why mitsu only sell less than 10k cars a month.
I do remember mitsu sell more cars back in 2000 than they do now so I guess people who had a choice and did not buy from mitsubishi agian

Year
2000 314,417
2001 322,393
2002 345,111
2003 243,592
2004 139,270
2005 115,168
2006 124,508

Last edited by kobi2002; May 13, 2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old May 13, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kobi2002
I paid 27k for my ix se with now 16k on it and have yet to have any problem. Many people paid 35k for there 9 with bbs , better recaro's and AWD with close to 300 hp and did not have these problems. I know of many cars that are not called nice but are built better. Like i told my wife, when you pay over 30k for a car you would expect to have a decent car. Not perfect but decent. When you are paying 600 a month in some cases and all this $hit happens then that person has every right to be pissed. last i check 30k is not easy to come by. I feel this car was rushed . it's a great car, but Ill pass till next model year. And by the way the X's don't have bbs rims yet so that throws that argument out the window
I agree, and I don't understand where this "Lean to live with it, or spend more money for something nicer" attitude is coming from, because, I SPENT $40,000!! How much more do I have to spend?!

I love the car, and I'm not saying it's crap...it's just..come on, even if it's "a new "generation, that's no excuse for something as simple as a brake cover coming off - that's something that should have been perfected long ago imo.

But I'm not here to argue...and I got it fixed a couple days after and I'm happy again. (screw on the bottom, didn't notice until someone mentioned!)
Old May 13, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 628
I agree, and I don't understand where this "Lean to live with it, or spend more money for something nicer" attitude is coming from, because, I SPENT $40,000!! How much more do I have to spend?!

I love the car, and I'm not saying it's crap...it's just..come on, even if it's "a new "generation, that's no excuse for something as simple as a brake cover coming off - that's something that should have been perfected long ago imo.

But I'm not here to argue...and I got it fixed a couple days after and I'm happy again. (screw on the bottom, didn't notice until someone mentioned!)
There is a guy that can't get the car in 1st gear now after 1100 miles. So i guess everyone will tell him just deal with it

Quick Reply: Yay! My handbrake cover popped off!