Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Fog Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
oops sorry guys. i did not see this was for the X
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gotrnet
here is a link to a pdf showing the wiring diagram for the foglights.
http://webpages.charter.net/gotrnet/...glight_mod.pdf
i put a note on the pdf as to where to hook in. it is on C-312 plug on wire 4 and is blue and black. it this plug is located on the bottom of the fusebox that is behind the flap near the drivers door. you have to access this plug from the floor board area not this flap but that is the box. i took a few pictures but i don't have them with me at work. i will see what i can do about putting them up later. this is all on the ground side so all you have to do is hook into this wire and run it to a switch and then run a wire from the switch to a grounding point. if you cut this wire and wire in a switch then you will ONLY be able to turn on the fog lights with that switch. if you piggyback this wire then they will work as usual with the foglight switch on the steering column (when the low beam lights are on) or when ever you flip the switch that you wire in. one note of caution, the foglight will come on ANY time switch is on, meaning when the car is off so it could be easy to kill your battery unless you wire in a relay that only allows it to work when the car is on. enjoy.
Nice discovery and good write-up!

Let me clarify:

So find this wire on c312... expose it (dont cut) and run a wire from it to a 3-prong switch? then ground the switch and it should work?

If i have the fogs on and I turn on my headlights, and use the original switch, will it short out with the other switch i wired in? or will it simply reverse the function of the original switch and turn off my fogs?

Thanks in advance and look forward to your clarification!

Does this look right?

Im not too sure what you mean by "piggyback". Thanks in advance!

Last edited by antics22; Jul 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

the switch i used only had 2 wires hooked to it so that is why my diagram looks a little different. something more like this

it is really simple and works great. keeps stock functionality but with ability to override it to the ON position anytime. since you are NOT cutting the stock wiring harness you are just tapping into one wire and leaving the current connection as well. Actually last nite i hooked the negative wire on the switch to a relay and then hooked power from a switched power source to it as the trigger. that way i can no longer have the lights on when the car is off so i don't have to worry about killing the battery.
like this (assumes you know how a relay works)

clear as mud?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

super sweet clarification... thanks a million... gonna try this tonight when i get home!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by antics22
super sweet clarification... thanks a million... gonna try this tonight when i get home!
how did it go?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

MAN, i had a f'ed up day yesterday... didnt get home from work until 9pm! im gonna try again tonight but its starting to look like a weekend thing. I might try to source an oem fog light switch from the IX. They should fit nicely in one of my blanks on my dash.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 04:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by antics22
MAN, i had a f'ed up day yesterday... didnt get home from work until 9pm! im gonna try again tonight but its starting to look like a weekend thing. I might try to source an oem fog light switch from the IX. They should fit nicely in one of my blanks on my dash.
did you try it yet? how did it go?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

lol, sadly im totally laggin on this... its on my list of things to do this weekend.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

by the way, All I have laying around is a 5-prong 30a 12v bosch relay... that should work, right? Let me know if I have this right since I'm a bit rusty with relay wiring.

Memory serves me like this:

30 pin - wire from new fog switch tapped from c312 wire #4
85 pin - switched power
86 pin - ground
87 pin - ground
87a pin - leave blank

does that look right? Not sure about pins 30 and 87... and whether it makes a difference if they are inverted or not.

Are our fogs ground-to-turn on? or power-to-turn on?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

looks good to me. i used a 4 prong relay. but they all look correct. i am not an expert with relays either i had to read the box and then look online to make sure i got it right. it is ground to turn on. that is why you can wire in a switch and then just ground the other side. well good luck.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 09:10 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We used to do this on the 2g Eclipse/Talons by jumping a prong in the fusebox.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By doing this mod can you have the Fogs and high beam on?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

if you wire in the relay, then you can turn the fog lights on at any time that the ignition is on. if you do not wire in the relay then you can literally turn them on any time you want. so to answer you specific question yes you can have the fog lamps and the high beams on at the same time.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

has anyone found a switch that would fit into the dash and look like it belongs there? an older evo switch maybe?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

What about having the foglights turn on the same time as the DRL? I changed my DRLs to LEDs for low power consumption (plus I like hyper-white), and plan to do the same with my Foglights. I hate dealing with switches and would like these conditions instead (bypassing the need for another switch):

(w/ SSS package)
- DRL turns on / Foglights also turn on
- Foglight has the option of being turned off anytime (using the steering wheel switch; ie. stock functionality)
- Will also have the capability to turn on when Headlights are on (using the steering wheel switch; ie. stock functionality)

Can this be done?

Quick Reply: Fog Light Switch