Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

need your opinion GSR and MR guys

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need your opinion GSR and MR guys

I live in the Caribbean. We have the option of bringing in JDM RHD cars and I am looking to purchase an EVO X. In Japan, the trim levels are different from you receive in the USDM. The GSR come as either a 5fwd or TC SST each with different upgrade options for both be it leather, stylish exterior package, high performance package ( blistein shock absorbers, eibach springs etc) or the premium ( equivalent to your MR but with either 5 fwd or TC SST)

I have read all the reviews and nearly everything there is to read on the advantanges and disadavantages of TC SST and I would like people to give me their opinions based on the following pro's and cons of me buying a TC SST as opposed to 5 fwd

Pro's

1. No need for clutch pedal as I face heavy traffic daily, two and from work - EVERYDAY

2. I have owned three STI's and a 350Z all manual gear boxes

3. The fully auto option with three different modes is cool and i am eager to try it.

4. Good for DD

5. Tuning available by ECUTEK and co. Would be able to drive the car hard and not feel paranoid about messing up the tranny.

6. I do not track the car at all

Cons:

1. Verdict still out on what power levels this car can handle. I am not a tuner but would do basic bolt ons like CBE and Intake and with a tune would easily reach 50 hp above stock?

2. We have no support here from Mitsubishi if anything was to go wrong with this transmission. Costly to replace.

3. Verdict is still out on the ability of tuners to properly tune the ECU on these SST models? Would have to mail in flashes as well cause we have limited or no tuning here for this model

4. Would be paranoid all the time.

5. Very afraid that if something goes wrong with tranny and i would be stuck with an expensive bill

Help please. Thanks guys
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

I think people worry too much about the tranny. Obviously the SST is very popular and Im sure aftermarket companies see that. Ill bet within a year there will be various companies that take apart this new tranny start selling their own parts for cheaper then Mitsu would charge. Ive seen a few people on the forums with an MR throw a bunch of bolt-ons on the car already with no problems so far. Mitsu spent a lot of time perfecting this tranny before releasing it so I have some trust in it. You've been driving manual cars for years. Take a break and let this next car do some of the work for you.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

If ur just gonna do the basic bolt ons, the MR will do you just fine.. Good luck..
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Who knows what the limits are on the MR transmission. But it is a really cool transmission. Plus not having to worry about heel/toe and focusing on braking/line is priceless.

Although I would miss driving a 5 speed with a clutch. I kept stepping on the invisible clutch when I was test driving the MR.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

I was in a similar situation as you except I don't need a DD. I went with the MR and couldn't be happier. I have never owned an auto tranny and I still wouldn't consider this an auto. Once you drive it becomes apparent this is something different. Good luck with your decision but I have a feeling you will be happy whichever car you decide on.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

I say any version EVO X is nice for DD. It's all comes down to, do you want stick shift or paddle shift? Then you decide. GL with your decision.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice a next Trini!

i used my car daily for driving too and that is POS and back....an hour + of traffic to go and come back.

its not that bad the stock clutch should not be too hard.

wrt the Evo X auto tranny or whatever it is called...i read its unbelievable!

this coming from the drift king in street compact car mag.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

The big decision for me is when we bring these cars in from Japan for ourselves, we have no warranty so there is risk for everything. Meaning, if something does go wrong with the tranny, i am out of pocket for the entire thing. If we bought these cars from dealers, i would have no issues in buying the TC SST.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The big decision for me is when we bring these cars in from Japan for ourselves, we have no warranty so there is risk for everything. Meaning, if something does go wrong with the tranny, i am out of pocket for the entire thing. If we bought these cars from dealers, i would have no issues in buying the TC SST.
yeah it is a risk you will have to take, thats one of he major reasons i did not hold out for the Evo X.

here parts are swappable with the Evo 7, 8 and 9 (with minor differences).

Also the evo 9 has been out for a while so there are couple good reviews and test on...
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

I may just have to settle for the 5fwd as we have no support for the TC SST here and i will have no warranty when i buy the car. But i sure was looking forward to a TC SST!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:25 PM

i have a GSR but i would go for the MR if i had the chance. The transmission of that thing is a amazing. Drives like a manual with out having to worry about shifting gears in traffic for daily driving.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
MR for sure.
"4. Would be paranoid all the time. "
won't matter which model you pick, the Evo owners are usually parking away, from everybody anyway ...

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 7, 2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

I am still skeptical about driving an MR. I've been used to driving manual transmission cars, and it's hard for me to drive an auto, even after having one for the past two years. Every now and then, I subconsciously push in the imaginary clutch pedal on my SUV for some reason.. and I can't get rid of it. I used to commute about a total of three and a half hours a day between work, school, and home. I drove a WRX with a Cusco Hyper Single clutch and it was a pain in the ***, but well worth it now that I look back at how much fun I had with the car.

I'm not saying that the MR/SST transmission won't hold up or anything, but if you are used to driving a car with a manual gear box, then it MIGHT be a hard transition... maybe not. The option of having both a automatic car and ALMOST manual car all in one sounds great, but I'd have the same problem as I did driving a friend's M3 with SMG... no clutch and less control.

Jerry
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

dont get a mr week tranny get 5 speed alot better for power long gears too
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
guys we dont know yet how the MR tranny will hold up. Hope fully will hold fine around 350whp. As a DD i trully don't think you need more than that.
He dont want to track it, so who cares if its doesnt hold 400 whp. How many times you need all the 400 whp anyway on the street ? And how many times are you sitting in the traffic?
There is the sacrifice for the good cause.
I would vote for the MR for sure, no doubt.

Quick Reply: need your opinion GSR and MR guys