Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Stalls on Start

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2008, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X Stalls on Start

Hey everyone,

I have a problem and wanted to see if anyone here has had a similar problem. The other day I went to start my X for work it fired up first time in the freezing cold. I get to work and around 5 hours later I go to leave for lunch and try to start my X dies out. I try it again and it barley started like if it wasnt getting any fuel. It sputtered around 100rpm till it finally got up to 1500 rpm (it was very cold out). I went to lunch parked the car and when I left lunch it started fine but when it was time for me to go home it did the same thing.

I have the latest ECU flash. And drive a stock MR with 3400 miles on it. The dealer cant replicate it of course and now its seems fine.

Any suggestions.

PS this has happened once before when it died out and I had to restart it but not this bad were it takes a good 15-20 seconds to start when cranking the engine.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GSR here and mine has been doing the same thing. I am checking a few things and will post an update in a couple days.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Mine does this also. Sometimes it takes another 3-4 cranks to get it going and then it lags. Its not because of lack of fuel but I believe because of too much fuel on start up. Of course it only does this occansionally and it would be hard to get a dealer to replicate it.

PS I also have both flashes.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:30 AM
JEP
Evolving Member

My wife has complained of the same thing I have not had the problem yet so I dont know whats up but Im glad someone has backed up her statements. Now I can contact the dealership...
Old Dec 26, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
Mine does this also. Sometimes it takes another 3-4 cranks to get it going and then it lags. Its not because of lack of fuel but I believe because of too much fuel on start up. Of course it only does this occansionally and it would be hard to get a dealer to replicate it.

PS I also have both flashes.
Bingo! My car came with both flashes as well and it does it occasionally (like once a month).
Old Dec 26, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Mine does almost the same thing, but again, only occasionally. It doesn't die out, but it takes a few seconds of extra cranking to actually start.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 03:25 PM
NMX

If you already have the latest flash, you might want to try the ETV relearn procedure. Here is my post from the "reflash thread."

If you got both reflashes and are still having problems, it is likely the dealer did not properly perform the idle relearn procedure. Here it is from the TSB:

ETV RELEARN PROCEDURE
1. Start the engine and let it warm up. Use the MUT-III to confirm that the engine coolant temperature
exceeds 85o C (185o F). The A/C switch should be OFF for this procedure.
2. Repeat the following steps 3 times:
 Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait at least 10 seconds.
 Restart the engine.
 Leave the engine running after the third start.
3. Allow the vehicle to idle for a minimum of 15 minutes.
The ETV Relearn Procedure is complete.

As you can see, this is a pretty time consuming procedure, so I bet most dealerships skip this step. Try it out yourself. Since you don't have a MUT-III tool to confirm coolant temperature, just make sure it's warmed up all the way to the mid-point. Good luck!
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

I have the first reflash from the dealership. As far as the problem being described...i've never had this issue. It's fires up everytime and has never died.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

I've had this occur once before I had the factory reflash done. The car started up, idle was very very low and there was a shuddering that could be felt as if the car was about to stall. It did about a few seconds later. I fired it up again, hit the gas a few times and went on my way.

Strange, but after the factory reflash I've not encountered the problem since.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by NMX
If you already have the latest flash, you might want to try the ETV relearn procedure. Here is my post from the "reflash thread."
my local dealer did this about 2 months ago after i brought it in for the same problem... they said i had the latest update but did a idle relearn.

but i am still having problems
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My car did this once also. I'm pretty sure it's related to the cold.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just use your cellphone to take a video when you start your car. You'll eventually catch it...
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

haven't had this problem yet.. but I'll check this out..
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

I've had this happen very rarely doesn't seem to matter if it is cold or very cold. Although when its -25C or lower the car takes longer then any new ones ive owned before it turns over.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:16 PM

My GSR just did this..started up fine than a sec later rpm stutter and engine shut off(wearger wasn't too cold, might be I didn't warm up my car first but was in a hurry.)

Last edited by EvoXCrazy; Dec 29, 2008 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo X Stalls on Start