Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mudflaps and 3M, any other options?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mudflaps and 3M, any other options?

Ok. After doing a search, I have found that there are the Rally armor, Ralliart, OEM, Sparco, and generic flaps available on the market. Any one have any experience with any of these? Or any more insight?

I'm looking to pick up a base gsr in a few months, if any are left on the lots. I want to be prepared, and I do not want to go through the bad paint experiences that everyone else has already has gone through.

I really can not stand the look of the mudflaps on the car. Are they really necessary for street only driving? What about the 3M kit, is this a necessity as well? How does the 3M kit hold up to high pressure car washes? Or by the sounds of it, what about the paint, will it with stand a high pressure car wash. Is the factory paint job really that awful?

Any information is appreciated.

Last edited by doghead; Mar 16, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

if you like the aero kit, ive heard that it does a good job of keeping rocks off. But ive also heard the aero kit dosnt line up.

The paint is fine in a car wash.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 04:09 AM

IMO... mudflaps make the car looks ugly,just clear bra the whole doors.Besides, the cost of mudflaps and getting clear bra is about the same.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3M kit will hold up extremely well and the only issues you may see is slight yellowing over time. Mudflaps don't look the greatest but if you drive in areas where they gravel or sand the roads in the winter they are a must unfortunately. I would also advise putting a quality acrylic sealant on your paint such as Jeffworkstatt Acrylic Jett Trigger or Klass Sealant Glaze can help as a protective layer on your paint.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
some people hate the mudflap look but i personally love it. I think it makes our cars look 10x more aggressive. Rallyarmour ftw
Old Mar 20, 2009, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

I dont care for the mudlaps, but after driving (city/highway only) for about 1000 miles I saw a lot of little nicks in the paint (most are abot the size of a pencil tip). When I say lots its probably about 15per side

I bought the mad flaps and even though I am not a huge fan, they are helping with the issue and I think once the car is lowered even less rocks will get by the mudflaps.

If you dont like those ideas you can also go with the Jun or Rexspeed (or anyother companies that make them) CF side skirts they stick out about as far if not a little further than the OEM ground effects and they should help prevent chips too.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Get them both. 3M will stop from getting scratches and mudflaps will stop dents and chips.
Comman courtesy, get some flaps so i dont get a cracked windsheild when i am following you.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

i plan on getting the Rally Armor flaps, since i washed my car last week noticed a bunch of little nicks on the rear end of my sideskirt. especially will help when my wider wheels and lowering springs come in the mail. i think they look awesome on a lowered car.

the roads here in hawaii can be pretty crappy, so hopefully these will counteract that pretty well.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
After 9 months total and 12k miles that inlcuded winter driving, I have zero rock chips or any kind of damage in the rear quarter panels. The factory Aero kit may not line up perfectly on the passenger side but it sure does a great job at keeping your paint looking good.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 03:49 PM

Aero kit works great. A little spendy, but a good solution.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

How much of the aero kit? Are we talking the whole thing? How much money does this kit run?

Just guessing prob out of the range of what I want to spend. I am looking for a bare bones gsr.

Last edited by doghead; Mar 21, 2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

On the 3M kit. Is it an adhesive sticky material that enables it to stick to the exterior or is it achieved by static electricity? Do you have to take the kit off when washing your car, any worries with getting water trapped? Any special tools needed to apply? How long does it take to yellow over time?

Thanks for all of your comments.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:42 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I hate the aero kit. So I guess mud flaps it is.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Rally Armor mudflaps as well as a 3m bra. I couldn't be happier. I'm not worried about chips every time I go out to drive the car, plus its not very noticeable.

Old Mar 21, 2009, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

not very noticeable!...I can't even tell where the 3M one is

can you highlight where the seam is? Thx

Quick Reply: Mudflaps and 3M, any other options?