Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Blue Smoke, oh oh!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Blue Smoke, oh oh!!

Ok so i drove to work this morning and everything was fine car felt great etc. I left an hour after i got there to do some errands , just as i am getting onto the highway i look back and see a big cloud of blueish smoke i know black smoke is normal because the car runs so rich but this blueish smoke kinda freaked me out. I was not under heavy throttle i was in 4th gear around 4000 revs getting ready to shift to 5th and the car behaved normaly no hesitation or strange noises. After i saw the cloud i saw a small trail of blue smoke comming from my exhaust and all of a sudden it disappeared. I continued to drive the car not boosting it and no problem no more smoke. I even did a 3rd gear pull to see if i would get some more blue smoke and nada!!!!! I called my mechanic and he said it could be because we overfilled the oil level on my last change which was done a week ago told me to let the car rest and check the oil level in an hour or so. Any thoughts on what might it be???? please help!! ohh one more thing when i opened my engine bay i smelled a little burned oil smell just for a sec and then it went away.
While my car idles exhaust smells normal and no smoke.
Any mods that might be causing this?? just installed a week ago hks ic pipes, bushur intercooler, and injen short ram intake
Old Sep 28, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Too much oil could be why you are burning some. Blue smoke is the clear indication.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thats what i say. agree with above
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice guys, car cooled down and i checked the level its way too high im gona have to suck a little out of there. No harm to the engine for having the level too high right?? i cant believe i changed it a week ago and its all ready pitch black!!! I need a tune asap!!!
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

You will probably be ok, but I would take some out asap.

There is a reason why manufacturer's specify an exact amount of oil to put in the car.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

yes overfilling oil can cause damage
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
too much oil there buddy.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jamdread
yes overfilling oil can cause damage
what can happen???
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

^^ too much oil can break your seals...like oil seals...gaskets etc etc...keep it in the normal level...
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Problems with this is that the next time the engine is run, the windage in the crankcase and other pressures generated by the oil pump, etc. place a great strain on the seal on the rear main bearing.
Eventually, if your main bearing seal ruptures, and the engine becomes a 'leaker'. If you've got a manual gearbox, this means one thing: this oil goes right onto the flywheel and the face of the clutch disc. A lubricated clutch is A Bad Thing. If this still goes unnoticed, the front seal is the next to go, and the engine then becomes a 'gusher' (or to be more colourful, it starts pissing oil all over the place).
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:32 AM

i sometimes get a blueish smoke when i start the car but then stops. its happens randomly and only when i start it up. i am not overfilled with oil either. anyone know whats up with that?
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pcasso87
I called my mechanic and he said it could be because we overfilled the oil level on my last change
i would probably avoid a mechanic who can't follow simple oil levels...geez

Originally Posted by tonyboy
^^ too much oil can break your seals...like oil seals...gaskets etc etc...keep it in the normal level...
+1234, could become a big problem
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much extra? A full liter or just slightly over the line? It's not a big deal to be slightly over the full mark but when it gets close to half a liter you should drain it out for reasons stated above.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
How much extra? A full liter or just slightly over the line? It's not a big deal to be slightly over the full mark but when it gets close to half a liter you should drain it out for reasons stated above.
its not little or much its less than half an inch. Will that break anything?? i filled it up with the 5.24 quart mobile one bottle and poured it all in there. i did check after the oil change if my oil level was fine and it seemed to be right at the second hole maybe just a little bit more but nothing compared to what i saw today.

Last edited by pcasso87; Sep 28, 2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pcasso87
Thanks for the advice guys, car cooled down and i checked the level its way too high im gona have to suck a little out of there. No harm to the engine for having the level too high right?? i cant believe i changed it a week ago and its all ready pitch black!!! I need a tune asap!!!
dont worry too much about the color. If you used a synthetic oil (which I am hoping you did), most of them change their color in the first few miles. It is not a sign of bad oil if you changed it recently. There are however some oils in the market that do not do this, please direct your questions to the oildoc in this regard.

As for the over-fill, its definitely bad as others have posted, but if you did not put too many miles and did not drive it too hard, you are probably fine. just get the extra stuff out of there ASAP.

You mentioned the mods but not a tune. Highly recommend a tune if you haven't done it yet.

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke, oh oh!!