Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X Impressions - From Cayman Owner

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 09:30 AM
RiG
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice comparison. If you like the way the EVO X shifts, then I would hate to feel a Cayman shifter. I think the EVO is worse then my 96 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Mitsu trannys just plain suck. The seats in the EVO start to hurt my back after 3 hours or so, I dont find them very comfortable at all, but they do hug you real nice. My GTO on the other hand has amazingly comfortable seats, I drove it on the Route 66 Road Rally for 5 8 hour days and felt fine at the end. Thanks again for your write up, as I have looked at the Cayman S as something to get possibly in the future. I would have to test drive one to be sure though.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:13 AM

nice write up, so when are you getting one,+ evo has 4 doors +5 seater
Old Dec 3, 2010, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

I have driven both Evox and the Cayman S before, and I agree! AWD ftw?

Since Porsche is a more expensive car, so my evo needs to stay outside in the cold most of the time =(
Old Dec 3, 2010, 09:54 PM

It does not suprise me you find the EVO suspension more livable than the Cayman. My EVO feels way softer than my air cooled 911.
The manual transmission in my EVO has gone from one of my least favorite manuals to one of the best. It's really gotten better with age and shifts are super smooth and reasonably precise when the car is pushed.
At some point I'd like to get a Cayman S or the new Boxter Spyder (when it's depreciated 50% ideally).
Interestingly I agree on the feel of the brakes. Unless you really stomp on them I don't notice much difference between the Brembos and standard disc brakes on my wife's VW. Also, the EVO is coping with a fair amount of weight which I suspect impacts the perception of agility and stopping power.
For the ultimate in responsive handling and precise shifting, the Miata is still the car to beat in my book.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 07:10 PM

Best car need for speed: most wanted....Cayman S
Old Dec 6, 2010, 07:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Phil - nice writeup.

I reckon you would have bought the X over the Cayman, if:
a) you had swaybars put in the X (or at least stiffer springs)
b) you had a basic tune

I don't know about in the states, but here in Australia Porsche's are horribly expensive... and the "upsell strategy" is pretty evident. At least with Mitsu, the X is the be-all-and-end-all of sports saloon
Old Dec 7, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
"After living with the Cayman for nine months, I have found it to be an exceptional car. There is no mistaking the precision steering, slot car like handling, balance, stupendous brakes, high grip, power, and speed (171 mph actual). It goes about its business with a disarming calm and competence. The Cayman has an overall level of quality, materials, build construction, precision, and refinement that the EVO does not match…in my opinion. The EVO focuses most of its engineering efforts under the hood, and there, it delivers. I felt the Cayman was a bit more surgical and precise in performance, but also found the EVO offered something which is central to performance cars. The car to me, feels like it is an eager partner. While the Cayman is a calm, cool, collected car, the EVO comes across more as an unabashed in-your-face performance car, wanting to mix it up and have fun. Imagine a puppy that wants to get out and play. The menacing front end look, turbo engine, and racy seats all conspire to sort of make me want to do things the police would rather not see. The Cayman rather seems above all that, not withstanding the fact that many people DO track the Cayman."

i really liked you review , but this above made it really good for me
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:42 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoX5spd
Whatev, Jeremy Clarkson was considering buying an Evo X for his wife just so HE could own one. That's enough for me. Love my EvoX as much as my CRX.
What are you responding to?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Cayman S and Evo X comparrison. Are you kidding?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:23 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrex1977
Cayman S and Evo X comparrison. Are you kidding?
Road and Track must have been kidding, as well, with a cover featuring an Evo vs a CaymanS. There are car guys (like the OP) and then there are....
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:29 PM

Nice Write up
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Oh...a slam against me, yea!

Last edited by Wrex1977; Dec 8, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

I almost bought a Caman S. Much stiffer suspension experience. VERY loud drivetrain, and I don't mean exhaust but mechanical noise from the flywheel and gearing..
Old Dec 8, 2010, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

cayman was also one of my options prior to my buying of evo. I went to the dealership and left after 15 minutes of walking around. I guess I am in my late 20s and in my honda civic didn't create an impression that I could make the purchase. I asked the salesperson kindly for a possible walk around of the vehicle and he gave me the despised look.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

It varies by dealer. I went to one that copied my license and then handed me keys to a base Cayman, a modified Cayman S and a stock Cayman S. Driven alone, told to take my time. Great one off experience.

Quick Reply: EVO X Impressions - From Cayman Owner