Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X rear fog lamp

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X rear fog lamp

The sun shined on the right spot and I saw a rear fog lamp indicator on the dash. I was wondering where it goes on the evo x?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:34 PM

In the UK the right side taillight contains the rear fog light, I believe they only have one reverse light, and its on the left side.

Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that looks weird having only one reverse light, i wonder why that is
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So sick
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:02 PM

that does look weird....
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:12 PM

In here finland we have also one reverse light and rear fog lamp.
Finland car law say that every car must have rear fog lamp.

You can see that right is reverse light and left is fog
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Europe and other countries adhering to ECE Regulation 48, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear fog lamps" (or "fog taillamps"), which serve as high-intensity rear position lamps to be energised by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to enhance vehicle conspicuity from the rear. The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candelas,[15] which is within the range of a U.S. stop lamp.[5] For this reason, some European vehicles imported to the United States have their rear fog lamps wired as stop lamps, since their European-specification stop lamps may not be sufficiently intense to comply with U.S. regulations, and in North America rear fog lamps are not required equipment. However, they are permitted, and are found almost exclusively on European-brand vehicles in North America — Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, MINI, Land Rover, Porsche, Saab and Volvo provide functional rear fog lights on their North American models. The final generation Oldsmobile Aurora also had dual rear fog lights installed in the rear bumper as standard equipment.....

To provide illumination to the rear when backing up, and to warn adjacent vehicle operators and pedestrians of a vehicle's rearward motion, each vehicle must be equipped with at least one rear-mounted, rear-facing reversing lamp (or "backup light"). These are currently required to produce white light by U.S. and international ECE regulations.

It's all part of the ECE regulations. The U.S. doesn't mandate a rear fog light like the U.K. does. So in the picture of the FQ400 the left side clear lens is the reverse light and the right side red lens is the rear fog light, because U.K. requires rear fogs on the street side, not the curb side.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:26 PM

thanks for all the great info!! so what would it take to do this in an USDM evo? also could you post a switch picture if able to do so?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDTerror
It's all part of the ECE regulations. The U.S. doesn't mandate a rear fog light like the U.K. does. So in the picture of the FQ400 the left side clear lens is the reverse light and the right side red lens is the rear fog light, because U.K. requires rear fogs on the street side, not the curb side.
this is going to bother me sooooo much now, like Megan Fox's thumbs...you'll only stare at it regardless of how amazing the whole picture looks lol
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get it installed with a switch. Seen people in the US convert one of their reverse lights to a rear fog light with a switch. This is a TSX btw. The taillamps were still the OEM lamp so their taillamps matched, just the bulb was brighter.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:22 PM

where can i buy the switch/tail lamp?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone else here in the usa want an fq-400 as much as i do?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AWDTerror
Yea and the Finland requires it on the other side right? Oh wait... They also have LHD and drive on the other side of the road...
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:21 AM

where can I score the switch, because I can score a EDM taillight for 100 dollars
Old Apr 10, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Why would you want the rear fog light? I understand the crazy urge for all things JDM but now this. I just don't get it but to each their own.

Quick Reply: Evo X rear fog lamp