Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Where is all this dust coming from

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is all this dust coming from

I'm not quite sure whats going on with my car but the other day I cleaned & vacummed the interior & drove it around for a bit. Today i get into my car and there is little dust and dirt particles all over front console by the shift knob area, could it be coming from the outside throu the vents?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

yes, and this will sound gross, but also dead skin flakes (less so than the dust from outside but still there.)
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
You also could have put them in the air, as they circulate in the car while driving around when there is no action they settle again.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

dust is everywhere even in the air you breathing right now. You can spend hours cleaning your car then the next day dust again. it comes from your vents and every time you open the door then after awhile of no activity it settles on everything once again. So just enjoy how the car looks right after you clean it cause the next day or even a few hours after it'll be dusty again.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Static electricity is often the culprit. I have found that when I wax with a carnauba wax, as soon as I go out for a drive, dust clings to the back bumper. I use Chemical guys anti-static detailer to stop the static electricity. There are also detailing sprays for the interior that have that same quality. Also, it seems like microfiber increases static cling. I try and use cotton towels more for the dash and interior. Regardless, dust is a fact of life. Minimize it through the correct products.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

I read this and almost face palmed through my skull.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 02:24 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by get rad
i read this and almost face palmed through my skull.
+1
Old Dec 3, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fjf
+1
+2
Old Dec 3, 2011, 02:58 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Might as well turn this thread into something positive:

Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
Static electricity is often the culprit. I have found that when I wax with a carnauba wax, as soon as I go out for a drive, dust clings to the back bumper. I use Chemical guys anti-static detailer to stop the static electricity. There are also detailing sprays for the interior that have that same quality. Also, it seems like microfiber increases static cling. I try and use cotton towels more for the dash and interior. Regardless, dust is a fact of life. Minimize it through the correct products.
Excellent points all around, Samson [I just realized an acronym of your username equates to SEX; that would not have sounded right].

I also prefer to use cotton on the interior for the same reason - less static. It's a cotton microfiber that was manufactured and sold by DH Towels. The product was also carried in a few online detail shops, and then poofff, it was gone. I still see some pop up on (detailing) forum classifieds.

Like you mention, paint also benefits from an anti-static treatment. I like to use Finish Kare 415 and 146, but most polymer-based QDs are fine for this. CG SW is very good, as you said, and I'd also suggest CG's Synthetic QD. It's very similar to FK415. Really, a pleasure to use.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 3, 2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 3, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Might as well turn this thread into something positive:

Excellent points all around, Samson [I just realized an acronym of your username equates to SEX; that would not have sounded right].

I also prefer to use cotton on the interior for the same reason - less static. It's a cotton microfiber that was manufactured and sold by DH Towels. The product was also carried in a few online detail shops, and then poofff, it was gone. I still see some pop up on (detailing) forum classifieds.

Like you mention, paint also benefits from an anti-static treatment. I like to use Finish Kare 415 and 146, but most polymer-based QDs are fine for this. CG SW is very good, as you said, and I'd also suggest CG's Synthetic QD. It's very similar to FK415. Really, a pleasure to use.
Too funny. Given my age, you might want to use lower case letters!

Last edited by SamsonEvoX; Dec 3, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:52 PM

Just be glad you don't live in the middle of the desert if a little bit of dust bothers you lol. Though having a dirty car right after you clean it is quite annoying.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

With the above comments as well, changing your in cabin filter is about all you can to do minimize this.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Make sure the plastic cover in front of the cabin filter didn't pop off.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Have you checked you in cabin air filter? I would check that or replace it with a better one if you have done so already and keep the windows rolled up. No matter what your going to get some kind of dust......but doing these should help. I keep a micro-fiber towel in the glove compartment just for dust.

Quick Reply: Where is all this dust coming from