Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Odd noise while driving

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd noise while driving

Hoping to get some input on this since I've been unable to pinpoint where the noise is coming from, sorry for the long story.

A month or so ago after we had just gotten a fresh 6" or so of snow, my wife was driving to work and attempted to make a right hand 90 degree turn doing about 45 (no slide). She just cranked the wheel all the way to the right so of course the car didn't turn and ended up going straight, smacking the curb dead on destroying the driver side wheel:

Attachment 337389

I told her to call road side assistance which she did, and they put the spare on so she was able to drive it home that night. When I got home I took it for a drive around the block to see how bad it was and it was all over the place. The steering wheel had to be turned about 35 degrees to go straight, so I knew I'd need at least an alignment.

After picking up a new wheel off the forums, I took it in to have the tire and tpms moved over and to get an alignment done. I wish I had the report here to show the before/after, but they were able to get everything back in spec except the driver side caster was about .2 degrees out of spec. I'm not sure what this will cause in the long run but he said it shouldn't affect tire wear.

Long story short, car drives straight again but whenever the wheel is turned more than a hair to the right at 40+ speeds I start hearing a pulsing/vibrating noise from the front. I can't tell which side it's coming from, but it sounds like you're hitting small strips on the road. The speed of the pulsing increase the more the wheel is turned to the right (even a few degrees), but if the wheel is straight or to the left there is no noise.

Any ideas to point me in the right direction? This is driving me nuts since I think about it anytime we go around a right curve in the road. It's kind of hard to simulate since I can't hear it at low speeds. Before the accident car was mint, 20k miles stock suspension/wheels/tire size.

Last edited by evolv; Mar 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel bearing? Did the tire get damaged?

I actually put a wheel bearing to rest after taking a HARD turn with very grippy tires. After that it made a noticeable noise while cruising. Replaced it and all was good. This was on a IX BTW.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:17 PM

Bearing was my first guess but didn't make sense to me why I'd hear it only when turning one direction. Then again I've never had to replace front bearings before.

Guess I'll be going that route if I can't figure anything else out. I take it the bearings up front are pressed?

Last edited by evolv; Mar 27, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

you wouldnt happen to know the SAI when you did the alignment? that would tell you if you have bent parts. caster will not do that and its true its not a tire wearing angle.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Caster is a non-pulling, non wearing angle unless it is very far out of spec and very different from the caster on the opposite side of the vehicle. If you post your alignment printout I can let you know how it looks (I work in an auto shop and align vehicles). If its not making noise when your going strait, but makes noise when turning, it is most likely a CV axle not a bearing. A bearing should make noise at all times regardless.
Take it to a auto shop or the dealer and have them evaluate it, or if you are a do-it-yourself kind, put the car onto jack stands, and put your hands on the right and the left side of the tire and alternate pressures with your hands (that should determine any tie-rod play).
Then repeat the procedure with your hands on the top and bottom of the tire (that will check for bearing play).
If you have no bearing play, replacement of your CV axle would most likely take care of the issue.
Regardless of the above, any good alignment shop should check for ANY bearing play or Tie-rod play or damage prior to doing an Alignment.
Does the noise get louder when speeding up on the freeway? Or does it make no noise even when going fast strait on the freeway?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:36 PM

@EvolutionX: No noise when going straight (at any speed), only when going around a right curve along the highway. I can't hear it when say making a slow right turn at a stoplight.

@Snake: Don't know the SAI unless it's somewhere on the report, but I'll post that up tomorrow when I have a minute to scan it.

Maybe I'll try to go to a parking lot tonight and see if I can hear it at slower speeds or when doing a circle.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Check for the bearing play on jack stands and you can probably eliminate that from your list. A bearing will usually make more noise the faster that you go. I would put my money on a CV Axle on the side the vehicle impacted. Taking it into a parking lot and doing some circles will let you know for sure.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:14 PM

Where/what would have happened to the CV? Anything visible that I can look for?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

The CV axle has bearings inside of it, it is unlikely that the boot tore due to the impact but the ball bearings could have been damaged. It is typical for an axle to not make noise when going strait but when turned you can hear a grinding noise, due to the bearings being stressed more.

In Short, no, not something you can visually diagnose.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like bearings to me! And yes, do you hear any noises at any given speed? If you hear the noise when turning just to 1 direction and not the other thats for sure bearings
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

You need to take this is a good shop to sort this out. Driving in circles is, at best, only going to give you some ideas as to what might be wrong. Hitting a curb hard enough to break the wheel broke or bent some other pieces too. Honestly though, these parts are not too expensive.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alex the great
Sounds like bearings to me! And yes, do you hear any noises at any given speed? If you hear the noise when turning just to 1 direction and not the other thats for sure bearings
Please don't be a post *****... Read the entire thread before you say something That contributes nothing.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

We had a customer in a regular Lancer that hit a pothole hard enough to break his wheel hub in half. That impact also damaged the bearings in his CV axle, so I'm going to agree with EvolutionX to have your CV axles looked at. It also bent the tie-rod end and the lower balljoint. Normally, damage to tie-rod ends and balljoints cause alignment issues (obviously) and may also generate some sounds going over bumps, but not a vibration like you describe. EvolutionX hit it on the head when he talks about the bearings vibrating under stress when turning.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
Please don't be a post *****... Read the entire thread before you say something That contributes nothing.
What are you talking about? I just told him that when he hears a noise when turning to 1 direction only is cause by damaged bearings. How do I know? it happened to me and you can do some research!

And no bearings do not make noises in all speeds for your info bud. Stop postines wrong info please

Last edited by alex the great; Mar 28, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:38 AM

Here is a link to the alignment. This was the first alignment I've had to do so I don't have anything before this:

https://i.imgur.com/K7Jgk.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Odd noise while driving-align.jpg  

Quick Reply: Odd noise while driving