Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

STI Owner Considering EVO X - Would Appreciate Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation STI Owner Considering EVO X - Would Appreciate Advice

Hello all!

I've had an 11 STI Sedan since Nov 2010. After getting it I found out about the ringland problems and have been living in that fear ever since, especially taking long drives that's required of me being in the military. In essence, stock reliability is a factory for me of which the STI is not greatly known for. Aside from the ringlands, I hate the seats lol everything else about it is pretty good and I've enjoyed the car.

But it's come to a point where I'm tired of living in fear that my pistons will pop for no reason while I'm driving with a stock engine.

So I'm considering an Evo X.

Coincidentally I know of an 08 Evo X MR black with 23k miles on it being brought into carmax today for direct buy from them. If I bought it, I would be the 3rd owner. It's originally from Columbus, Oh, now owned in Dayton Oh. Vin: JA3AW56V18U050816.

From the pictures it looks to be in great condition aside from some curb rash on the BBS wheels.

I have been poking around the forum for over a day now so I'm not completely oblivious and read most of the things you should know stickies

My overarching question for you all is what are some of the benefits/detriments between getting a MR over a GSR? Is there something severe like the ringland piston problem that plagues the Evo MR/GSR? What's different between MY08 and later model years?

Thanks in advance for you answers
Old May 13, 2012, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

no major issues like that on the evo.. some just question the reliability of the sst and how costly it is to replace it, but i havent read anything too serious yet.. for me i chose the gsr because theres nothing like having that third pedal for me, even if i do have to drive in traffic for a bit when i have 8am classes.. as far as differences between the years, nothing really other than the better tune with the 11s and up and the 11s and up get the tall wing i believe. but those are just cosmetics, nothing is changed as far as suspension, drivetrain or engine.
Old May 13, 2012, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, beware the TC-SST transmission in the MR!!!

I have a TC-SST in my 2009 Ralliart and it went out at 18,000 miles. It was covered under warranty but it would have been a $10,000+ repair otherwise. Read the thread here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...r-results.html

If you plan on modding the car then avoid the MR, IMO. You will hit the limits of the transmission pretty quickly, it's not really the hp so much as the torque. There has been a lot of speculation as to the transmission ecu causing the gears to open/disengage under heavy torque as a safety factor to prevent damage to the transmission. This means not only would you have to upgrade the clutch packs but also tweek the ecu. I'm not sure how much success people have had with that, but at the end of the day you are safer going with the GSR.

If you do go with an MR and keep it stock or lightly modded you will need an aftermarket transmission cooler if you plan on doing any hard driving. Also maintenance is more expensive for the TC-SST in the MR.

Again, I recommend you stick with the GSR.

I love my Ralliart, and plan to upgrade and mod the car, but if I had bought an Evo I would have gone for the GSR over the MR because of the transmission limitations.

I hope helps.
Old May 13, 2012, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The OP is considering an 08. He is paranoid about the ringlands in his STi. Maybe we ought to warn him about the timing chain.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
Yes, beware the TC-SST transmission in the MR!!!

I have a TC-SST in my 2009 Ralliart and it went out at 18,000 miles. It was covered under warranty but it would have been a $10,000+ repair otherwise. Read the thread here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...r-results.html

If you plan on modding the car then avoid the MR, IMO. You will hit the limits of the transmission pretty quickly, it's not really the hp so much as the torque. There has been a lot of speculation as to the transmission ecu causing the gears to open/disengage under heavy torque as a safety factor to prevent damage to the transmission. This means not only would you have to upgrade the clutch packs but also tweek the ecu. I'm not sure how much success people have had with that, but at the end of the day you are safer going with the GSR.

If you do go with an MR and keep it stock or lightly modded you will need an aftermarket transmission cooler if you plan on doing any hard driving. Also maintenance is more expensive for the TC-SST in the MR.

Again, I recommend you stick with the GSR.

I love my Ralliart, and plan to upgrade and mod the car, but if I had bought an Evo I would have gone for the GSR over the MR because of the transmission limitations.

I hope helps.

Thanks, that's good to know.

The OP is considering an 08. He is paranoid about the ringlands in his STi. Maybe we ought to warn him about the timing chain.
Yea I'd read a little about that but couldn't find a thread that explained why it happens. The ringlands in the STI fail due to the rings not having enough clearance between the two ends when inside the cylinder, so after heating they end up touching and flexing back and forth, the flexing is what breaks the ringlands.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:12 PM

If your using your Evo for long road trips the MR has a 6 speed and the GSR has 5. My 08' Evo X MR is stock but amazes me every time I drive it.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:14 PM

You Tube has several posts with 500+ HP Evo X MR's and they seem to be fine. I'm not sure what the truth is about it except that the transmission is expensive.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
The 4B11 does have a timing chain and a few have had issues. But all manufactures that use timing chains have a few cars that have chain problems. There are always going to be defects. But the percentage of X's that have chain problems are what? Less than 5%? It's not as big of issue as it is made out to be on the forums IMO. A lot of times it is due to neglect/missed maintenance on the owners part..

The only concern that I would have is the SST. Not because it is unreliable, it has actually shown to be a great tranny so far, but IF it failed, I would be screwed if it was out of warranty.

The Evo X has a lot less reliability issues than the newer STi's.. And it is the better performing vehicle.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:44 PM

Good information. The STI's only big reliability issue is the ringland. But as issues go, it's damn big one...
Old May 13, 2012, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Only thing to keep in mind, especially if you're going from a hatch STI, is that you lose quite a bit of utility going to an evo without fold down rear seats.

I cross shopped both (including the WRX and GTI), the evo was clearly a better car in almost every way except:

1) STI drive train (not including engine) is IMO much more robust than the evo's.
2) STI is a much more practical car since you can actually fit things like baby strollers and such in the back

If you can get over these two things (and don't plan on outright abusing the drive train to the point of failure), I think you'll be very happy with the X. Good luck!
Old May 13, 2012, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my Evo but I would never trade in a 2011 STI for a used 08 MR
Old May 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

I traded my 11 STI for an 11 GSR (also had an 07 STI as you can see in my sig)..never looked back and can't be happier
reliability issues should be just a fraction of of the STIs' blown motors, if compared .. and time chains have been updated after 2011(unlike Subaru , mitsu listens to its niche market and addresses those issues), so I would definitely consider getting a 2011 or 2012 Evo and GSR mainly because it's lot cheaper compared to SST tranny and make more power..at the end Evos are far more reliable and make more power mod for mod, also handles a lot better . .not to mention the seats, better audio system(FYI, I don't have the upgraded stereo but it's still 100 times better than STIs) and easy to work on (boxer engines are PITA when it comes to work on them)

The only good thing about STI is due to limited availability it has a little better resale value which is good in your case because you should be able to trade your car for at least $29-30k and a new base GSR can be purchased for $31-32k ..a lot of people pay either sticker or close to sticker price (plain stupid for a car that might explode any time if you ask me, to each his own).. I only lost about $1500 during the trading process, and it's really hard to say it's a loss since I stepped into a brand new car

Good luck

Last edited by glamcem; May 13, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:39 PM

I had an 06 evo IX that god rest its soul got totaled replaced it witha an 07 sti, that year same issues with the ringlands. It was stage 2 tuned had a puff of blue smoke on a friday traded in on monday on an 07 Traiblazer SS. Last wednesday got rid of the Trailblazer for a 08 X GSR with only 13,000 miles on it. That being said having both cars I feel like they are for two different purposes but I am back with the evo so obviously something brought me back. Imo the sti's are easier to make faster with just bolt on's and a tune, but you will NEVER make an sti handle like and evo.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by sirsol
Only thing to keep in mind, especially if you're going from a hatch STI, is that you lose quite a bit of utility going to an evo without fold down rear seats.

I cross shopped both (including the WRX and GTI), the evo was clearly a better car in almost every way except:

1) STI drive train (not including engine) is IMO much more robust than the evo's.
2) STI is a much more practical car since you can actually fit things like baby strollers and such in the back

If you can get over these two things (and don't plan on outright abusing the drive train to the point of failure), I think you'll be very happy with the X. Good luck!
I owned a 350z before this so I can deal with that lol. Unfortunately now I'm married so my wife may not agree. But our second date was autocross so then again she might .

But yes as you said, everything but the engine is rock solid, which is why, if I had the money to update the internals, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Originally Posted by Kendogg
I love my Evo but I would never trade in a 2011 STI for a used 08 MR
This is something that I'm trying to legitimize, so I'm looking for a 2010 or newer good deal.

Originally Posted by glamcem
I traded my 11 STI for an 11 GSR (also had an 07 STI as you can see in my sig)..never looked back and can't be happier
reliability issues should be just a fraction of of the STIs' blown motors, if compared .. and time chains have been updated after 2011(unlike Subaru , mitsu listens to its niche market and addresses those issues), so I would definitely consider getting a 2011 or 2012 Evo and GSR mainly because it's lot cheaper compared to SST tranny and make more power..at the end Evos are far more reliable and make more power mod for mod, also handles a lot better . .not to mention the seats, better audio system(FYI, I don't have the upgraded stereo but it's still 100 times better than STIs) and easy to work on (boxer engines are PITA when it comes to work on them)

The only good thing about STI is due to limited availability it has a little better resale value which is good in your case because you should be able to trade your car for at least $29-30k and a new base GSR can be purchased for $31-32k ..a lot of people pay either sticker or close to sticker price (plain stupid for a car that might explode any time if you ask me, to each his own).. I only lost about $1500 during the trading process, and it's really hard to say it's a loss since I stepped into a brand new car

Good luck
Glad to hear that someone has gone through my EXACT situation and loves it. Question though. My last two cars have been 6 speeds (including the STI), do you miss it, honestly? Do you find there's somewhat of a performance disadvantage accompanied with that?
Old May 13, 2012, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

The only thing I'll give Subaru over Mitsu is their lay out. Replacing a clutch in a GSR is like 10 billed hours because the layout is ***! You can get the clutch in and out of an STI in like 2-3 hours. That, and lifter clicking. Mitsu's are notorious for this around 150k miles. But Mitsu dealers also have a tool to help fix this problem without having to take the whole thing apart. So it's cheap and easy to fix if you take it to a dealer.

But since you're looking at an MR the clutch replacement won't be a problem. That is unless you're going to do any modding. The Dual Clutch (SST) that Mitsu uses for the MR and the Ralliart are only stable up to about 350WHP before they start overheating like a mother****er. At which point you'll either need a tranny cooler or new clutch pack.

Quick Reply: STI Owner Considering EVO X - Would Appreciate Advice