Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Greasy stripes on side if car

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uscbryan
I don't get it. I just wanted to make sure something wasn't coming out of the front of the car. Seemed like a simple question.

But I did get that PM you sent me about your mom washing my car for me in her g-string, I think I'll take you up on that offer. Have her wear a white t shirt as well.
shoot i'll pay for that one, please PM me a price as well. will pay extra for no t-shirt
Old May 16, 2012, 09:04 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dek0026
^that's really the only thing it could be if it isn't something for detailing the car/tires. it would have to be a pretty serious loss of grease and would have to be flinging around in the wheel well for quite a while to get as far as the vents. plus it would be gray/silver in color.
yeah, I've had 2 X's and only one did it, was nasty!

If the grease is only going horizontal down the car then dripping at the end, that means its only something that happens when you're driving
Old May 16, 2012, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Two comments:

1) The vents are functional.

2) It's hard to get a g-string to stay on a skeleton.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread = lol!!!
Old May 16, 2012, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have grease stripes too....**** happens...you are not the only one on the road. Could be from another vehicle or flung up from your tires....new pavement and that could be tar...etc...

Wash your car like others have said and be done with it.

EDIT: I've since washed my car.. All gone.
Old May 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
I have grease stripes too....**** happens...you are not the only one on the road. Could be from another vehicle or flung up from your tires....new pavement and that could be tar...etc...

Wash your car like others have said and be done with it.

EDIT: I've since washed my car.. All gone.
All gone until you hit the brakes and the dust flings all over the side of your car. I like to power wash my vents and watch all the nasty brake dust drip down onto my brake dust caked wheels.
Old May 16, 2012, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EuroEclipse
All gone until you hit the brakes and the dust flings all over the side of your car. I like to power wash my vents and watch all the nasty brake dust drip down onto my brake dust caked wheels.
Sounds like you have a problem if you have brake dust flinging all over the side of your car by simply using them .... I've had many cars and not one flung brake dust all over the side of it, not even on a white car....On the wheels yes....not the side.

I doubt his streaks are from brake dust...I would bet it is grease or tar or something else he kicked up off the road...
Old May 16, 2012, 03:09 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you using tire shine? It's possible that it's slinging all over the side of your car. That's normal for the cheap stuff.
Price has zero correlation with quality when it comes to automotive detailing products, dressings included. Zero. In essence, it's a choice between water-based and silicone-based products. Both can sling, though silicone-based products require a bit more attention. They do last longer, so it's a tradeoff either way.

Exactly. If you want to condition your tires to keep them looking nice you should spray them with APC and brush them off before rinsing. To finish, just wipe a rubber and vinyl dressing on it with a soft sponge. It won't look greasy, and definitely won't sling all over the car.
Actually, to finish, one should go over the dressed tire with a dry applicator to remove the excess dressing and to even out the finish. This is the step, aside from its cosmetic befits, that insures a lack of slinging.
Old May 16, 2012, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

brake dust FTW
Old May 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you have a problem if you have brake dust flinging all over the side of your car by simply using them .... I've had many cars and not one flung brake dust all over the side of it, not even on a white car....On the wheels yes....not the side.

I doubt his streaks are from brake dust...I would bet it is grease or tar or something else he kicked up off the road...
my 11 GSR gets a little spot on the driver and passenger door above the skirt that gets brake dust. Little water splash and it looks like grease but it's definitely brake dust.

Of course I only see this when my car is really over due for a wash
Old May 16, 2012, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Price has zero correlation with quality when it comes to automotive detailing products, dressings included. Zero. In essence, it's a choice between water-based and silicone-based products. Both can sling, though silicone-based products require a bit more attention. They do last longer, so it's a tradeoff either way.

Actually, to finish, one should go over the dressed tire with a dry applicator to remove the excess dressing and to even out the finish. This is the step, aside from its cosmetic befits, that insures a lack of slinging.
Thanks for the tips, man. I've been using a tire sponge with luck, but I'll look around for other stuff.

By "cheap stuff" I meant poor quality.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

You missed my post where I suggested tire dressing.

I do get brake dust on the side of mine which is annoying. I will wash the car, clean the wheels, vents, and trim so that everything is nice and shiny. But the minute I tap my brakes I've got brake dust all over my wheels and sides of my car. It winds up looking like I didn't wash it after about 10 min of driving.
Old May 18, 2012, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Two comments:

Damn @ #2

and LOL at the rest of the thread!
Old May 18, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

The strippers there are too skinny
Old May 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Two comments:

You're a good sport!

Not being sarcastic either.

Quick Reply: Greasy stripes on side if car