Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Just got 2010 MR and would appreciate some guidance.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got 2010 MR and would appreciate some guidance.

I have owned a 98 gsx and a 06 MR but when it comes to this car I don’t have much of a clue. I saw some threads about the timing chain but not sure if its mainly in the 08 model. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by Hector913; Mar 21, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:07 PM

reserved because i don’t know how to delete,

Last edited by Hector913; Mar 21, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Advice about the timing chain? It's prolly fine if it has been taken care of. I have a 2008 with 48k miles and never had an issue.

You have the same chain as the 2008s. It wasn't replaced until the middle of the 2011 production models.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:46 PM

Thank you, im just looking for anything in general I should watch out for. That I can see car has turbo back exhaust, ams fmic, upper and lower ams piping, gauges (but the power wires were cut), oil catch can, and rear stabilizer bar. So im not not sure how well it was tuned or exactly what im looking at, I love it though at only 26,000 miles
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hector913
Thank you, im just looking for anything in general I should watch out for. That I can see car has turbo back exhaust, ams fmic, upper and lower ams piping, gauges (but the power wires were cut), oil catch can, and rear stabilizer bar. So im not not sure how well it was tuned or exactly what im looking at, I love it though at only 26,000 miles
Congrats on the X!!! The MRs are awesome

As far as the timing chain, you should be fine since I keep seeing threads only about the 08's having the real issues (even though the 2010 chain is the same). You should call a local Mitsu dealer and see if there was a TSB for the chains. I would also suggest taking it to a reputable tuner to see if the car was tuned for those bolt ons. That's just my opinion though.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:48 PM

Honestly - if you don't abuse the car there isn't a whole bunch to watch out for specific to the MR.

However, I'd read up on the general X problem list. Little things like fuel pump relays, fuel pressure return vacuum lines etc are a bit of an issue. The last thing you want is to detonate something due to such a small issue.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:22 PM

Thank you yeah I Blew the engine in my GSX because the hose That connects to the wastegate tore off and I wasn't watching the boost gauge
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Zip tie the FPR hose on, change the relays, and start saving up to do alot of SST fluid and filter changes. I would recommend changing it around every 15k miles. I would almost go ahead a do it now so you know it's changed. It's not a cheap service by any means.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ugakirk
Zip tie the FPR hose on, change the relays, and start saving up to do alot of SST fluid and filter changes. I would recommend changing it around every 15k miles. I would almost go ahead a do it now so you know it's changed. It's not a cheap service by any means.
Thank you
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
Advice about the timing chain? It's prolly fine if it has been taken care of. I have a 2008 with 48k miles and never had an issue.

You have the same chain as the 2008s. It wasn't replaced until the middle of the 2011 production models.
I've also had no problems.

My biggest sugestion is know that the "weak" point in your MR is the transmission. It is an awesome piece of German engineering... I've driven Mercedes and Porsches with wors transmissions... But it is only rated for 347ft/lbs of torque..... So if you want to go mod crazy be careful. SSP offers a 400 & 500 HP clutch pack for the SST but I don't know if the transmission internals can handle it even if the clutch pack can. I know the Works guys rally a lancer rally art and also sell the SSP pAck they could provide info. Don't contact SSP they Re useless.... I contacted them with questions they never got back to me. SSP also makes clutch pack for the GT-R.

All that said I love my MR and I plan on running the wheels off it. My wife was iffy at first but now she likes driving so much she likes to take it more than her car. So I dont get to drive it as much as in want. So depending on your situation be careful.

Last edited by WolvieDC; Mar 21, 2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rik84
Honestly - if you don't abuse the car there isn't a whole bunch to watch out for specific to the MR.

However, I'd read up on the general X problem list. Little things like fuel pump relays, fuel pressure return vacuum lines etc are a bit of an issue. The last thing you want is to detonate something due to such a small issue.
If you search fuel pump relay in this forum there will be a couple of good "stickey" threads to explain... I personally didn't have any issues but replaced mine with a "blue" relay ($20) at local Mitsubishi dealer just in case. There was a bad batch of relays that would go bad in cold weather which might be an issue in WA. Mitsubishi issued TSB-10-13-002 (I think the 10 and 13 may be transposed) about the relays.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by WolvieDC
I've also had no problems.

My biggest sugestion is know that the "weak" point in your MR is the transmission. It is an awesome piece of German engineering... I've driven Mercedes and Porsches with wors transmissions... But it is only rated for 347ft/lbs of torque..... So if you want to go mod crazy be careful. SSP offers a 400 & 500 HP clutch pack for the SST but I don't know if the transmission internals can handle it even if the clutch pack can. I know the Works guys rally a lancer rally art and also sell the SSP pAck they could provide info. Don't contact SSP they Re useless.... I contacted them with questions they never got back to me. SSP also makes clutch pack for the GT-R.

All that said I love my MR and I plan on running the wheels off it. My wife was iffy at first but now she likes driving so much she likes to take it more than her car. So I dont get to drive it as much as in want. So depending on your situation be careful.
Yeah my wife likes driving it but she said it's too bumpy. No I'm Not going to do anything heavy it's just my daily driver.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by WolvieDC
If you search fuel pump relay in this forum there will be a couple of good "stickey" threads to explain... I personally didn't have any issues but replaced mine with a "blue" relay ($20) at local Mitsubishi dealer just in case. There was a bad batch of relays that would go bad in cold weather which might be an issue in WA. Mitsubishi issued TSB-10-13-002 (I think the 10 and 13 may be transposed) about the relays.
Thank you.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:13 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats on your mr !! Getting mine within 2-3 months, still having a hard time to decide between mr or gsr and thinking about the ssp (400-500hp in the long run) heard good and bad things about ssp.

Wish you all the best with your new mr !!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Moe_evo
Congrats on your mr !! Getting mine within 2-3 months, still having a hard time to decide between mr or gsr and thinking about the ssp (400-500hp in the long run) heard good and bad things about ssp.

Wish you all the best with your new mr !!
Thank you

Quick Reply: Just got 2010 MR and would appreciate some guidance.