Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice

Just purchased a 2012 MR a few days ago. I love it.

I've decided to actually give motorsports a go, so I've signed myself for a local autocross event going down a few weeks from now. Any one have any advice for a first timer? Should I buy another set of tires ( car doesnt have stock tires, there are some micheline tires on currently). Do I run sport manual? auto? super sport? Do I mash the accelerator pedal as hard as I can at every opportunity? ETC...
Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:29 AM

BUMP!

Does no one here do these sorts of things?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:46 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Mash that sh*t through the floor son

On a serious note. I'm sure someone will chime in. I'm planning on doing the same, next season. So far, I've been to the dragstrip and drfit events (different car). This is next on my list.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't touch do anything to the car at first. Simply go out and have fun, explain to the guys running the event that it is your first event and have an instructor sit with you EVERY single run. After the first 3 or 4 runs ask him/her to drive your car and show you the difference between your style and theirs. Observe where they brake, how they accelerate and where they look, soak it all in. You will have to learn how to handle the car with all the traction nannies off but a short press of the traction button might be better the first time out.
The Evo is an awesome car for any motorsports related activity, I am sure you will have a blast.

This is a good read BTW:

http://autox4u.com/file/check.htm

Check out all the links on that site as well:

http://www.autox4u.com/novices/

Originally Posted by root@localhost
Just purchased a 2012 MR a few days ago. I love it.

I've decided to actually give motorsports a go, so I've signed myself for a local autocross event going down a few weeks from now. Any one have any advice for a first timer? Should I buy another set of tires ( car doesnt have stock tires, there are some micheline tires on currently). Do I run sport manual? auto? super sport? Do I mash the accelerator pedal as hard as I can at every opportunity? ETC...
Thanks

Last edited by TPMS N.G.S.; Oct 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:28 PM

Did my first autocross yesterday with my X. The biggest thing I learned to do is drive smoothly. The fastest guys are the ones that look like they're going slow.

Oh, and your tires aren't going to be very happy with you. You're going to tear them up pretty well no matter what you do.

I found leaving the AYC brake on was the best thing to do for my driving style at the moment. I know I could run quicker with it OFF, but I wound up going off course a few times.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by TPMS N.G.S.
Don't touch do anything to the car at first. Simply go out and have fun, explain to the guys running the event that it is your first event and have an instructor sit with you EVERY single run. After the first 3 or 4 runs ask him/her to drive your car and show you the difference between your style and theirs. Observe where they brake, how they accelerate and where they look, soak it all in. You will have to learn how to handle the car with all the traction nannies off but a short press of the traction button might be better the first time out.
The Evo is an awesome car for any motorsports related activity, I am sure you will have a blast.

This is a good read BTW:

http://autox4u.com/file/check.htm

Check out all the links on that site as well:

http://www.autox4u.com/novices/

These links are golden. Thanks m8!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisWantsBoost
Did my first autocross yesterday with my X. The biggest thing I learned to do is drive smoothly. The fastest guys are the ones that look like they're going slow.

Oh, and your tires aren't going to be very happy with you. You're going to tear them up pretty well no matter what you do.

I found leaving the AYC brake on was the best thing to do for my driving style at the moment. I know I could run quicker with it OFF, but I wound up going off course a few times.
Do you use manual or auto? Any 'slow down' issues?