Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo with just a little work..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo with just a little work..

Hey guys,
Been lurking on here for about 5 months now and finally decided to post something. Anyways, new to the Evo scene about 5 months ago and have just a little work on my car.

2012 GSR, EVO X-
26,xxx miles
No idea what power I'm making.
I beat stock X's, and I'm estimating 330 @ the wheels with my mods.
Daily Driver.
Spirited driving is a must paired with weekends at autoX.
Sight and Sound package comes on it, yeah the Extended Wing is factory, we all know the Recaros are stock. yadayadayada, what we tell EVERYONE.

Modifications:
ETS short ram intake
ETS full exhaust system
AEM AFR & PSI gauges
NO TUNE ATM
Tint black as night
Tinted tails

Different springs and bottom end engine work by a previous owner, says my Mitsu mechanic.
"Possibly" a stage 2 clutch by how different it feels compared to another X.
I don't like doing engine work, don't know a whole lot about it either, so I try to stay out if I can. All I know is it runs very good for being different, and I'm glad I got one that has the perfect amount of Mods for me.. To start with..

#Anyways, I'm here to say I have some money put aside and would like to do things to this car. But I'd like to do everything right the first time around. Can anyone tell me about engine work and what I should worry about\not worry about, it seems very stable, definitely a different sound than other X's put out. More like a Subaru that hums, loudly.. I'm looking into self tune, have a laptop and I have a good idea of what to do. Also looking for any pointers or tips, anything I really need to know other than to get a tune.

Anyways my few questions for you guys--
1-Boost controller recommended?
2-Front air splitter recommended?
3-Vortex Generator recommended?
4-Front canards recommended?
5-Michelin Super Sports any good?
6-Should I change intercooler piping?
7-Should I buy mounted rims off of CARiD, or is it a junk site?

Thanks guys!
Here's some car **** for all the help..

Smoked Tails ft. ETS cannon.

Cruised to a meet yesterday with these guys.

And meet.

Carbon Fiber Gauge pod & AEM gauges.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try searching all of the topics. Known issues are covered at the top of this subforum in the sticky.

Last edited by hydro334; Apr 14, 2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost controllers are a pretty essential thing to have. Electronic boost controller solenoids (EBCS) seem to be able to hold boost levels a little more consistently than manual boost controllers (MBC), but the MBC's are a bit more responsive sometimes. I would prefer the consistency. But then, in the end , it really depends on your tuner. FYI, if you get a boost controller, you should definitely get a tune. You wont be able to take advantage of it without one. If your tuner is good, you will relatively the same results with either.

I havent seen any real gains from putting a vortex generator, but it loosk cool, so I'm all about it haha. I'm sure there are some aerodynamic related gains (like itll keep your car to the ground), but apart from that I dont know.

I just got a set of super sports for this summer and I love them. I'm tossing out the factory tires because they were loud as hell. The super sports are on par with the yoko's as far as performance go from what i've read and about half the price. It's a good buy for anybody who a weekend road warrior or a dd. Get them, money well spent.

Id definitely get some aftermarket IC piping and a new front mount IC. You get larger piping and a larger cooler itself and the turbo wont have to do as much work to produce the same amount of power as opposed to if you used the stock parts. It's a pretty easy install, and if you ever end up going to a larger turbo, you'll be set.