Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Several Gallons Later...I Still Have Air in the Brake System

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several Gallons Later...I Still Have Air in the Brake System

First and foremost, I am happy to say that I have access to virtually unlimited quantities of brake fluid.

Back it 2011 I shipped the Brembos from my VIII off to be powder coated. The turnaround time was massive, and when I got them back most the fluid had leaked from the system. I spent countless hours... say 12-14 trying to get the air out of the system. To this day the brake sponge is not completely gone... maybe at 75% firmness compared to the untouched system.

Recently had my girlfriends X calipers coated, but this time I had a core set, so no drainage happened.

I hooked up my Motive power bleeder, filled up the calipers, and did a quick swap with a couple PSI on the system hoping it would reduce air from entering.

Here are the methods I have tried for bleeding:

-Motive Power Bleeder
-Pedal (helper) bleed
-Motive on master, and Mityvac on nipple
-Motive and pedal
-Motive, Mityvac and pedal
-Mitsu recommended bleeding sequence
-Old fashioned bleeding sequence (RR,LR,RF,LF)
-Both nipples open
-One nipple at a time

I am still getting air after approximately 3 gallons, and the brake feel is dissapointing.
It is just odd that I had a similar issue with my 8.
I am going to bleed the lines at ABS module this evening, as that seemed to help with my 8.

What else can I do?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I assume you do recognize this is the wrong order.
Old fashioned bleeding sequence (RR,LR,RF,LF).

If you have worked on two cars with the same results--something your doing is wrong. Since you have worked thru the system and have most of the air out-- hear is the question, when you crack the bleeder--and start to bleed do you see air bubbles? Are you pumping the pedal between bleeds to a single caliper to push all the air to the caliper? If so, and I assume your working this in the correct order to bleed, try just cracking the bleeder screw slightly to release just the air at the top of the caliper to get the last bit out, instead of just trying to push fluid thru it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude
-Motive on master, and Mityvac on nipple
Not sure why this isn't working for you.

I have painted so many calipers and replaced them using my mityvac to bleed and not once have I ever gotten air into the system.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
I assume you do recognize this is the wrong order.
Old fashioned bleeding sequence (RR,LR,RF,LF).

If you have worked on two cars with the same results--something your doing is wrong. Since you have worked thru the system and have most of the air out-- hear is the question, when you crack the bleeder--and start to bleed do you see air bubbles? Are you pumping the pedal between bleeds to a single caliper to push all the air to the caliper? If so, and I assume your working this in the correct order to bleed, try just cracking the bleeder screw slightly to release just the air at the top of the caliper to get the last bit out, instead of just trying to push fluid thru it.
With the X, it looks like the beginning of a Star Wars movie, inside the hose: hundreds of tiny bubbles.
With the 8, the air does not make it to the bleeders... but some will come out of the ABS connections.
All but 2 cycles I bled according to the FSM which if memory serves correct is LR,RF,RR,LF. Using the outer bleeder first. I have gone through a couple quarts on one nipple before, cracking it what seemed to be 100 times, with what seemed to be no improvement.

Originally Posted by nvmaddog
Not sure why this isn't working for you.

I have painted so many calipers and replaced them using my mityvac to bleed and not once have I ever gotten air into the system.
Well that's reassuring :-P I don't get it either. When I worked for GM I replaced a brembo caliper on both a CTSV and Z06... never even needed more than a few strokes of the master cylinder.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Must be another leak somewhere!
Old May 1, 2015, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think those threads at the bleeder no longer sealing.
Old May 1, 2015, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Yea ive had an issue before with the beeders going bad. You should just replace those first see if that helps your problem. Cheap fix. And mine would only weep when they got hot so it was just a slight leak but still annoying.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Yea ive had an issue before with the beeders going bad.
This. Bleeders got cross threaded or not seating properly etc.
Old May 1, 2015, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

At first I had generic bleeders in it and the taper of the seat was slightly different, but it did however seal.
I replaced all the bleeders with OEM Brembo ones.

This morning I inspected all connections/hoses/hardlines for leaks. All was good. I cracked every fitting on the ABS module/master and got some air to initially come out but it cleared out, after a few seconds...unlike the caliper.

Today I have put over a gallon through the LR outside nipple and air is still pouring out.

I am very curious if the power bleeder is aerating the fluid? I am using it at the reccomended 10psi, which I would think is way too low of pressure to cause air to get in the fluid.
Old May 1, 2015, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

i wouldnt think the bleeder is causing the problem. I actually just pump mine up to 15 or 20 and ive used my motive power bleeder many times. So i dont see how it could be putting any more air into the system i mean its a pretty simple system. But i guess you could just try it the old fashion way with help and someone pumping the brakes!
Old May 1, 2015, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
i wouldnt think the bleeder is causing the problem. I actually just pump mine up to 15 or 20 and ive used my motive power bleeder many times. So i dont see how it could be putting any more air into the system i mean its a pretty simple system. But i guess you could just try it the old fashion way with help and someone pumping the brakes!
This-- its not a thread issue, unless you cross threaded something, the seal for the bleeders as the shoulder at the bottom. I too also used a power bleeder, and I still go old school and bleed by hand and pump with a second party for the final--all air out--of the system. BTW if your cracking the system at the abs on the fire wall you let air in to the system and will need to start completely over every time and bleed several feet of lines as a result--hence the gallons you have already used. Good luck.
Old May 1, 2015, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yea not sure why you quoted me lol im not the one useing a ton of brake fluid. I was just putting my opinion out there. I too also read that its better to not mess with the abs bleeder. So i just stick to what i know and bleed the calipers lol.