Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Trying to pick a new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to pick a new exhaust

Currently i have a UR duel axle back and want something different.

Im going to be buying an AMS downpipe and an AMS test pipe (possibly resonated)

My last car was a wrx that had an N1 style exhaust for a long time which i thought got a little loud then changed it out for a gms catback to be a little more grown up.

I'm looking for a catback that wont be crazy loud but not silent. I'm looking at a tomei expreme, invidia q300, ams catback, and lastly hks super turbo.

I dont want something thats going to **** off the neightbors but my current UR axleback seems quiet to me.

Any insight would be awesome!
Old Jul 19, 2015, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
There aren't such an exhaust that is "not silent" and also will not "**** off the neightbors." If it's not silent, it is surely going to **** off your neighbours. Unless you go like the M5 and turbo Mustang, playing fake engine noise with your audio.

Among the four you mentioned, I might pick the HKS Super Turbo since HKS gave it a price drop and you can get one nowadays for less than $1,000. Its quality speaks of an exhaust of more than $1,500, and it's only marginally louder than stock. Tomei Expreme is extremely loud, which is going to **** off not only your neighbours, but also cops.

You may also take a look at Amuse and Akrapovic's offerings.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 08:24 PM

I have been happy with my Cobb CBE. Throaty when my foot is in it, but not to loud around town. I didn't want something to loud since I have kids riding in the car.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I am currently running a MAP 02 dump with a ETS test pipe and a ETS V2 Quiet exhaust. I absolutely love the sound. Its got a really deep tone and a nice low rumble. I don't really know why ETS calls it "Quiet" cause it definitely screams under WOT.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by e_kobz
I am currently running a MAP 02 dump with a ETS test pipe and a ETS V2 Quiet exhaust. I absolutely love the sound. Its got a really deep tone and a nice low rumble. I don't really know why ETS calls it "Quiet" cause it definitely screams under WOT.
I've heard that the quiet exhaust is about as loud as the tomei. i currently have the UR dual exit axleback and i think its really quiet. I'm wondering how loud the tomei really is.... **** i wish i new someone with one....
Old Jul 20, 2015, 07:26 PM

Bump
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

I run an ETS test pipe with an ETS single exit straight pipe. My car is loud and mean sounding and I absolutely love it, screw the neighbors. I will be doin an open dump also.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
I run an ETS test pipe with an ETS single exit straight pipe. My car is loud and mean sounding and I absolutely love it, screw the neighbors. I will be doin an open dump also.
I fully support this message
Old Jul 21, 2015, 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Originally Posted by e_kobz
I fully support this message
Old Jul 22, 2015, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

The ETS high flow cat and ETS V2 Quiet. Great combo, sounds great, no drone, sounds low and throaty at idle, and can scream (appropriately, but still screams) at WOT.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Old Jul 22, 2015, 08:22 AM

Same setup as Boston_Eagle and I can confirm everything he says. It's quiet enough that people don't really notice it. But it sounds so damn nice.

My neighbour is a car guy and it's been 2 weeks and he hadn't really noticed until I mentioned it yesterday, he said it sounded different but not loud at all. Cruising highway not louder than stock imo and no drone at all.

Only thing that bugs me are those loud pops you get sometimes on decel. Only 500km on the exhaust, maybe it'll go away with time. Who knows.

Last edited by JF450; Jul 22, 2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JF450
Same setup as Boston_Eagle and I can confirm everything he says. It's quiet enough that people don't really notice it. But it sounds so damn nice.

My neighbour is a car guy and it's been 2 weeks and he hadn't really noticed until I mentioned it yesterday, he said it sounded different but not loud at all. Cruising highway not louder than stock imo and no drone at all.

Only thing that bugs me are those loud pops you get sometimes on decel. Only 500km on the exhaust, maybe it'll go away with time. Who knows.
I want that popping so bad but don't want to do cats. I am thinking of just going with the Top Speed Pro 1.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Mine pops so loud under decel or gear shifts that it sounds like gun shots. No exaggeration either.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

I have the ETS V2 + Highflow Cat and love it.

Not to loud, not to quiet, not to much drone or anything. Nice and deep. I was trying to decive between the extreme and the V2 and the people at ETS were real helpful, decided to go with the V2 because I figured the extreme would have been to loud

Heres a (****ty) vid of my car

Quick Reply: Trying to pick a new exhaust