Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Ortiz gauge pod questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ortiz gauge pod questions

How is the figment if the following gauge pods from ortizcustompods? I know the spots are not the best for monitoring while driving but I don't want gauges on the pillar.
Attached Thumbnails Ortiz gauge pod questions-image.jpeg  
Old Mar 9, 2016, 05:09 PM

2nd pod here. Couldn't attach two to the post from my iPad. Also what type of modification is needed exactly for this pod in a 2014 GSR.
Attached Thumbnails Ortiz gauge pod questions-image.jpeg  
Old Mar 9, 2016, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive heard some bad things about Ortiz..I stayed away just because of the reviews. people were saying that he told them like 3 week wait time, but its been months and they haven't received it or just got it. He isn't very good about replying to emails is another complaint so its hard to get updates.

Also head the finishes do not match OEM finishes very well, and I have seen a good amount of them crack.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 06:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought a single steering wheel column "EVO X". It took 4 weeks but I wasn't in a hurry. The fitment and color is perfect to me. I would recommend it for sure.

Previously I had a Rexpeed Carbon Fiber for the same place which I hated.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I've got an Ortiz dual pod that goes over top of the instrument cluster, like the CPE pod. I didn't buy it from him, I got it from a forum member.

Overall, it's mediocre. The fitment in place of the stock piece is fine, but the finish is rough and doesn't match very well. The pods themselves angle up pretty far, instead of being formed well enough to be more level.

If you can get a good deal on something that's available, I'd say go for it since we don't have many good options otherwise. If you have to order and wait for them, I'd find something else.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the dual pillar pod... it's fine, w/e others say about the finished look is pretty senseless. It's only job is to hold gauges, that's it. The fitment is good, not like DSGs pod, way better than Rexspeeds for sure, though.

Wait time is around 2-3~ months... that's the norm for these parts anyways
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evostanman
I have the dual pillar pod... it's fine, w/e others say about the finished look is pretty senseless. It's only job is to hold gauges, that's it. The fitment is good, not like DSGs pod, way better than Rexspeeds for sure, though.

Wait time is around 2-3~ months... that's the norm for these parts anyways
You don't care about fit and finish? You're willing to wait 3 months for a mediocre product?

Power to you, I picked one up to try because I got it cheap and immediately. I would never buy a new product from Ortiz based on what I have seen now though.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

You failed to understand my post... I said fitment is good.

I'm only talking about finished look, not fitment. Obviously, if I'm saying that this pod is better than Rexspeed then it has good fitment, right? I guess if you're OCD then don't go with this pod...

OP, DSG is what you want... and good luck with that!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Lol DSG is not what the OP wants, he does not want a pillar pod.

He has limited options, and unfortunately Ortiz pods are one of them for non-pillar pods.

I did understand your post. I said in my original post that it fits fine, and has **** finish.
Who the hell pays for parts and doesn't care how they look in the car? Maybe I'm the exception, but I would hate to look at something ugly every time I drive, just because it's functional.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Totally missed that he doesn't want pillar pod, LOL

I think Ortiz products are tolerable, maybe I'm the few that can be ok with something like that.

We are pretty limited in options
Old Mar 10, 2016, 03:03 PM

I had cheaper pod in my part car that just slide over the factory piece it was ok. I guess if i get a Ortiz steering wheel pod i can always modify the finish on it. But like you guys have said our options are limited.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had bought a gauge pod from them and it took forever. During that time I went another route and I am happy I did. This mod cost me $50 for both pods. They are originally made for the Honda civic SI but they fit the Evo X perfect. I am able to change their orientation anytime. The base of the pods are swivel.

Here is the link: http://www.streetlightz.com/ATI-Pod-...de_p_4875.html

Last edited by studioface; Mar 19, 2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would think with the same model for 7 years it wouldnt be so hard to find pods. You can find pods for cars that didnt come turbo easier than this thing.

I ended up with a cheap shiftglow triple. I defintely had to have dash, and hate the look of the ATI its bulky. All the other locations suck; by the shifter, under the HVAC, in vents, over the cluster, on the sides of the cluster, and column. Cant do it. And any that covers the actual gauges would bother me to look at even if the space with no numbers.

I have 4 gauges, I'm trying to find a single pillar for that.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the posts everyone. Im still undecided on what I want to do gauge wise. Probably will run an AEM Failsafe since its boost and afr. and maybe one day add oil pressure. I dont plan on going past bolt ons and dont want gauges everywhere either. Hopefully I'll stumble upon a gauge set up i like or use one of the choices provided.

Last edited by 20redfire03; Mar 20, 2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:12 PM

hmm! I was looking at Ortiz pods too. nay have to look at some other options.

Quick Reply: Ortiz gauge pod questions