Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Help Evo 10 Giro Disk Issues

Old Apr 5, 2016, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help Evo 10 Giro Disk Issues

Wondered if any one else that has installed Giro Disks on the Evo 10 has had the following issues ?

1. Front right brake, one of the rotor to hat mounting bolts broke and got wedged in between the caliper mounting ear and the inner disk face and scored it up a bit.

2. The rear outer pads (Giro Disk SS pads) has a shim that clips around the bottom of the pads backing plate and it has cut into the outside diameter on the mounting ears of the hat removing the anodizing so it looks like crap now. There is a lot of pad left both front and rear so its not like it was my fault running the pads too long.

What do you guys think of this?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Weird never heard of that issue especially the part about the bolt sheering off I wonder what caused that... Were you the one to replace them or did you buy it like that?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I purchased them brand new and installed them. I'm trying to get Giro disk to rectify the problem and it has been slow going. What I find interesting is how the disk to hat drive pin to bolt interface is designed. the drive pin is approximately 7/8 of an inch long and the bolt hole is drilled larger than the threads approximately 1/2 into the pin. One would think this would allow the bolt to flex side to side in the hole when the rotor expands under heat, Then the thread root would be a stress riser and causing the bolt to break.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rated X
No I purchased them brand new and installed them. I'm trying to get Giro disk to rectify the problem and it has been slow going. What I find interesting is how the disk to hat drive pin to bolt interface is designed. the drive pin is approximately 7/8 of an inch long and the bolt hole is drilled larger than the threads approximately 1/2 into the pin. One would think this would allow the bolt to flex side to side in the hole when the rotor expands under heat, Then the thread root would be a stress riser and causing the bolt to break.
I might be missing something in your description, but the purpose of the floating hat is to allow for the difference in expansion between aluminum hat and steel rotor as they heat.

As far as the tab digging into the hat, that sucks!

I have the S/S pads. I put all the pads with tabs on the insides (cause half have tabs and half don't). But not because I was worried about it scratching the hat, I just did it.

I hope they answer you. they provided great customer service to me when I was ordering.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rated X
Wondered if any one else that has installed Giro Disks on the Evo 10 has had the following issues ?

1. Front right brake, one of the rotor to hat mounting bolts broke and got wedged in between the caliper mounting ear and the inner disk face and scored it up a bit.

2. The rear outer pads (Giro Disk SS pads) has a shim that clips around the bottom of the pads backing plate and it has cut into the outside diameter on the mounting ears of the hat removing the anodizing so it looks like crap now. There is a lot of pad left both front and rear so its not like it was my fault running the pads too long.

What do you guys think of this?
on your problem number 2 i believe the shim that clips around the bottom pad has to go into the inner and the inner without it has to become the outer.

when i installed my girodisc 2 piece rotors i had kept my oem pads. as soon as i put the car down i knew something was wrong but had already gouged the rear hat like you described it above.

i read online that the pads have to be swapped out, the pad that has the "squealer" has to go in the inner and the pad that used to be in the innder becomes the outer.

hope this helps.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Just brake off the squeeler and problem solved! Just keep an eye on your pad level every oil change!
Old Apr 15, 2016, 02:00 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Just brake off the squeeler and problem solved! Just keep an eye on your pad level every oil change!
Do what he says ^^