Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs C6 Corvette.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X vs C6 Corvette.

Evo X vs C6 Corvette.
I've had just about every sports car from the late 80s onward that you can name. I've had 5 300zx's, a mk3 supra, a starion, a c4 vette, a Ford Lightning, multiple camaros, firebirds and even an 240sx. So I'm not really biased towards any one manufacturer. That's until I got into drag racing. The LS engine family has a reputation as cheap, reliable, and fast. Usually when you get that kind of adulation there's a bit of BS that feeds it. From my experience, it's been true so far. It's hard to beat the amount of HP you can get out of these things for not a whole lot of money. I started with a 99 camaro that I had built a 6.0 for with the intensions of putting a turbo on. I liked the camaro, and I really liked the speed that it allowed me. But the rest of the car left a bit to be desired. Enter the c6. I opted for the LS3, the better heads allow for a lot more gains when you start to modify. A stock c6 Corvette is a great daily driver, I was averaging about 25mpg, and got almost 30 on the highway. But I can't leave well enough alone, so I started modifying. A procharger came first, then a 416 cui stroker engine. Eventually it's going to be twin turbo. Needless to say this makes it not the best daily. Even though it drives like stock, I'm averaging about 12mpg, mostly because I can't help but push that gas pedal down. Also Omaha in the winter time isn't very friendly for Corvettes. Enter the Evo. I still wanted something fun to drive, I was going to stick with Chevy but nothing really sparked my interest. I liked the cts-v, but I know I'd end up literally taking parts of the vette and putting them on the V to upgrade my vette lol. I can't afford two LS Cars. I looked at the STI's as well. I just don't care for the boxer engines. More specifically I hate working on those things. I've always liked the Evo's and once we got one in at work, I knew I had to have it. It wasn't on the lot 2 hours and I was hounding my boss to get me the keys. I took it home that night. The car rode like ****, rattled like my corvette, and the clutch was impossible. I had to have it. So now, I've had it for two weeks, and that's given me time to be able to compare it with the Vette.

Looks
Name:  cars1_zpsciv6qoxs.png
Views: 0
Size:  617.0 KB
Name:  cars2_zpsmmhgssfm.png
Size:  710.5 KB
Of course, this is subjective. Two different cars, designed for two types of people. The Corvette is primarily made with fat, old, white guys who really don't care about performance. They can't afford the Ferrari or Porsche, so they get the next best thing. My car is the z51, which has the slightly better suspension, and some extra coolers for racing. Other than that, it's just a base c6. By its self, it looks great, but when sitting next to a z06 or zr1, it's kind of plain. The interior also plays the parts. The seats are extremely comfortable, but not very good in the corners. They are wide and you slide around all over the place when in a hard corner. Filled with plastic, the interior is cheap junk. The stereo is a joke, and the steering wheel is literally out of a cobalt. I've had an issue where one of the speakers in the door has fallen out of it's perch. I do like that it has poppers instead of door handles, it's nice to literally just walk up and get in. The removable top is great, easy to take out for some open air driving. Overall it's a great car for long trips, even on curvy roads.

The Evo, is loud, brash, and kind of dumb. The giant wing on the GSR completely destroys the view out of the back window. Designed as a rally car though, it definitely looks the part. The giant red Brembos peeking out behind the rims look amazing. With huge haunches and all the vents, it's hard to believe that this is in any way related to a lancer. Just like the corvette however, the interior is a joke. It's plastic all over. Random little rattles, creaks, and groans. The stereo is great, especially compared to the corvette. What else needs to be said about the recaros? Probably the best seats I've ever had. It definitely inspires confidence to attack the corners without the fear of sliding all over the front seats.

It's hard to really compare the two, and I get about the same amount of attention in both. Little kids LOVE the corvette, it's a little more exotic looking, even being a base model. Even as a kid I LOVED corvettes, it wasn't until I was older that I started to appreciate cars like the Evo. And I think it's the same today. If you know what you're looking at, you start to appreciate the Evo more. It's crazy, but it's functional.

Powertrain
Name:  2016070295120234_zpsrx2zjlvz.jpg
Size:  69.0 KB
Name:  IMG_70691_zpswa5gfya1.jpg
Size:  120.2 KB
This is the one area where the C6 absolutely trounces the Evo. The stock ls3 is a fantastic engine. Small, light, and compact. Using ancient technology, pushrods, to make 430hp and still get an astounding 28mpg on the highway is a miracle. It's like saying we're going to use a covered wagon, and go to the moon. And then actually doing it. It has torque throughout the rpm range and can propel a stock c6 through the quarter mile in the low 12 second range. It's once you start modifying it that you start to believe the hype. When I was stock with a procharger, the speed was savage. The transmission is buttery smooth on this thing too. The tr6060 is one of the best I've ever driven. I've got a McLeod RXT clutch good for 1k hp that actually drives better than stock. I never had the chance to dyno it, but on 6-7psi of boost, it should have been around 650hp at the wheels (a good friend of mine made 800+ on 15psi with a stock ls3). I had a mishap with road kill taking out my oil cooler on the highway, which lead to a 416 stroker bottom end. With the blower maxed out I'm shooting for 850hp and hopefully will be able to hit a high 9 second quarter mile time. The speed is intoxicating, and hard to describe until you've driven it.

The Evo on the otherhand... It took me forever to get used to driving this thing. The clutch is hard as hell, and the engagement point is crazy. The power delivery is amazing. Its like, nothing nothing nothing holy **** here we go and shift. Once I got used to it though, it's pretty amazing. It's suprisingly torquey for a 2.0l, and it pulls like a rocket ship. I don't really care for the transmission on this thing. It gets the job done but it feels notchy, and I really wish it was a 6 speed. I get that this is functionally a rally car at heart, but the gearing really sucks. Running almost 4k rpms at 80mph isn't ideal. I think an extra gear would have really done the Evo a favor. I did but it for the winter, and I cannot wait to test this guy out. Fuel mileage isn't the best, but screw it, race car right?

So really, no comparison. The corvette is crazy fast, super reliable so far, and slightly more fun to drive.

Handling
Name:  20160725_180051_zpsx93i9nrm.jpg
Size:  408.8 KB

This is where both cars really shine, but in vastly different ways. The Corvette is amazing. Using another ancient technology, leaf springs. I have never had this car feel anything but planted. No matter what speed, what kind of turn, this thing just laughs. The main downside, is the steering. It feels numb, and disconnected. Like previously stated, the seats are not very supportive, so it takes a lot more work to lug it around sharp turns, especially compared to the Evo. The best thing, is you don't sacrifice ride quality with great handling. It's amazing what they've done with these things. The brakes, even on the base model, are great. Very good pedal feel and this thing feels like it'll stop on a dime. The car only weighed 3100lbs before the blower, so it's not like it has a whole lot of weight to slow down.

This is the main area where I think the Evo would win. Given a short course with no long straights, I really think the Evo would beat the Corvette. The steering is a revelation, the closest cars I can compare it to is a 911 turbo or GTR, I really think it's that good. Like the Vette, this car feels like it's glued to the ground. Unlike the Vette though, this thing rides rough. You definitely feel every little bump and dip in the road. It acutally reminds me of the C4 Corvettes, where the joke was, if you ran over a penny you could tell if it was heads or tails. I haven't taken it on a long trip yet, but I don't look forward to it. The Recaros make a HUGE difference. You don't really have to worry about sliding around, and that gives you so much confidence to attack a corner at huge speeds. The brembo brakes are also amazing. I had read some reviews that had said that they were twitchy, and worked like an on/off switch. That hasn't been my experience. I actually like the feel of the pedal. These brakes are amazing and also confidence inspiring. It's amazing how quickly you can stop this thing when needed.

So, I think really the Evo has a slight edge. If it rode like the Corvette it would be an easy win. I think the seats are loads better, and the steering is fantastic.

Build Quality
Can we be honest for a second? These cars are junk. I expected it with the Corvette, but I expected better with the Evo. Both cars are loaded with cheap, plastic, junky interiors. Both squeek and rattle, with new noises popping up seemingly with every drive. I've had issues with leaf spring bushings on the Corvette, sway bar links on the Evo and seemingly a million other little noises to drive me crazy on both. That's the trade off you make I guess when you ask for performance above all else. The paint on the mitsubishi is a joke. Little marks all over the place, how did they get paint so thin? Also, the smart key but you still have to turn an ignition? **** off. Give me a key or give me a button, how hard is that? Good thing both cars are so fun to drive, because they are also driving me crazy.

Overall
God I love these cars. Every morning I have to choose one over the other, and either way I'll have made the right choice. Do I pick the crazy looking rally car, or the somehow more subdued corvette with a gazillion horsepower?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
love your review/nice 1st post.

Thanks for sharing and Welcome!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks I enjoyed the read... What is done to the evo?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 01:37 PM

Nothing yet. I think it's lowered a bit. Definitely has aftermarket sway bars. Once I have the vette buttoned up I'll probably start modifying it a little bit. I'd like to have a 500hp awd car I think.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
As you already know the EVO takes to mods pretty great. If you plan to track it a big difference would be solid coils like Ohlins, upgraded pads and fluid (castrol SRF is my favorite) and 2 pc rotors if you are going to do longer road course sessions and eventually a T4 turbo kit. I'm partial to the EFR 7670 in external waste gate config with the 1.05 AR.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 02:53 PM

Yeah I was blown away by my friends 9. I was planning on some cams and turbo for sure. I ran a 3076r on my silvia, don't know if many guys run them on the evos, but it worked awesome on the sr20.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Having daily driven a 1994 Miata R for 14 years in the northeast, I like the performance envelope in non-dry situations. The 94 Miata R was stock except for really, really stiff compression re-valved Bilsteins. It was like death waiting to happen in non-dry situations. In comparison, the evo X is a comfortable, super-stable handling machine in all conditions. Realistically, late model vettes are such beasts that they are hard to choose against on pure speed/handling. I tossed around the idea of a C6 vette as a replacement for my Miata and ended up with the Evo. I know people daily their vettes but the Evo, to me, makes a better daily driver.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up. I started a thread in The Loft section looking for a something to replace my DD while keeping the Evo. I ended up searching for 08+ C6s but I've changed my mind and might just keep the DD I have and have more money to build up the Evo some more.

Really want the vette but I know I'd just want to go crazy modding it lol.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 03:45 PM

LS3 or up is the only way to go, thats for sure. It's so easy to make big horsepower, and relatively cheap too. I'll probably have around 40k in my car all said and done. For a 900whp car, that's not too bad.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
great comparison. I don't get this whole "destroys rear view" thing that people complain about. I have never been in a situation where I lost visibility because of the wing. Or hit something because I couldn't see behind me. If something is getting completely covered up by the wing, it's a mile away anyways.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Such an awesome review. I've been on the fence for awhile now trying to decide if I should get rid of my 9 for a c6 z06. Corvettes are so nasty from a performance stand point. I'm just worried the 9's will start appreciating once I sell mine. It'll be my luck i'd regret selling my evo and have to spend 35k to get back into one. But how could you not want a $35k car that is capable of 10's bone stock??
Old Aug 12, 2016, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ChipperEvo
great comparison. I don't get this whole "destroys rear view" thing that people complain about. I have never been in a situation where I lost visibility because of the wing. Or hit something because I couldn't see behind me. If something is getting completely covered up by the wing, it's a mile away anyways.

This.

I have the base 2008 GSR which came with the small lancer wing, from which I went to the big wing. If there's anything to complain about it's the small wing obstructing everything directly behind you, not the big one you can see straight through. The big wing isn't that bad for visibility at all, but of course, everybody has their own opinions

I like the LS family of engines and always try and come up with a project idea where I can swap one into some sort of RWD car. But then I remember how much more I like the 4G63
Old Aug 12, 2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by josh_evo9
Such an awesome review. I've been on the fence for awhile now trying to decide if I should get rid of my 9 for a c6 z06. Corvettes are so nasty from a performance stand point. I'm just worried the 9's will start appreciating once I sell mine. It'll be my luck i'd regret selling my evo and have to spend 35k to get back into one. But how could you not want a $35k car that is capable of 10's bone stock??
I like both cars a lot obviously. It's hard to beat any ls on dollar for dollar performance though. I mean I'm realistically going to make 850whp and have a reasonably reliable car for not a lot of money, it's crazy. Even if I had the camaro, I was running 11's on stock suspension with a low compression 6.0, the rest of the car sucked though lol. Having said that, I've seen what an evo can do too. These cars are no joke. The only reason why I didn't get a z06 is because boost has always been my plan. The ls7 is bored so big that the cylinder walls are prone to cracking when under pressure. They also have issues with dropping valves, so plan on fixing that at some point. The ls7 is a torque monster though, they are unbelievable when you gun it. I could have gotten a zr1 but I didn't feel like spending that much money on a car I'd only drive on the weekends.

As far as the rear wing, everyone has their own opinion. I don't mind it, but it sits smack dab in the middle of the window, kind of silly. I've gotten used to it though. The vette isn't that much better, I'll try and get some pics to compare.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Great write up - thanks for sharing

I think after reading it, you would have been happier with the MR. I had a GSR and didn't like the high RPM on the highway either, but that is for short gears for autocross and taking huge power, drawback is the DD aspect.

My GSR was destroyed by a wrecker shortly after buying it so I got an MR and really am glad I did in the end. It's got the 6 speed, and is livable in traffic or can be driven like a bat out of hell when out of it. Kind the best of both worlds.

I'd still rock the GSR and I'm sure you'll get used to it. Easy fix for wing is to find someone to trade trunks it happens quite a bit.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Great write up - thanks for sharing

I think after reading it, you would have been happier with the MR. I had a GSR and didn't like the high RPM on the highway either, but that is for short gears for autocross and taking huge power, drawback is the DD aspect.

My GSR was destroyed by a wrecker shortly after buying it so I got an MR and really am glad I did in the end. It's got the 6 speed, and is livable in traffic or can be driven like a bat out of hell when out of it. Kind the best of both worlds.

I'd still rock the GSR and I'm sure you'll get used to it. Easy fix for wing is to find someone to trade trunks it happens quite a bit.
Yeah I thought about the MR, but I really wanted a manual. I've mostly gotten used to the rear wing. I do laugh sometimes when I look in the rearview mirror, it's so goofy. That's not a knock though, I knew what I was getting used to. I may end up trying to trade trunk lids at some point, but I don't mind it that much.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs C6 Corvette.