Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Xpel Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xpel Ultimate

Hey everyone,

So I've gotten a bit tired of the little paint chips my Evo is getting, so I'm looking at wrapping it. Does anyone have experience with Xpel? It is very intriguing...

Also, what touch-up paint do you suggest, as I'm having the chips covered up before having the work done, assuming Xpel isn't a total waste of time and money.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Just get the paint from Mitsubishi so it matches they should sell a little touch up pen / paint stick thing for 15 bucks or so.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Just get the paint from Mitsubishi so it matches they should sell a little touch up pen / paint stick thing for 15 bucks or so.
Aren't the paint pens difficult to apply to such small areas?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by roguesturgeon
Aren't the paint pens difficult to apply to such small areas?
It's double sided. One side is a pen, the other is a small dip in paintbrush.
The following users liked this post:
roguesturgeon (Mar 18, 2017)
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
the Xpel Ultimate is the best I have it in my car, even though it's a bit expensive but it's the best you can buy good invested, and I protect it a lot and it's much better to be painting
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I have had Xpel Ultimate on my evo for about a year now. No complaints so far.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 06:31 PM

Hey everyone,

So I've gotten a bit tired of the little paint chips my Evo is getting, so I'm looking at wrapping it. Does anyone have experience with Xpel? It is very intriguing...

Also, what touch-up paint do you suggest, as I'm having the chips covered up before having the work done, assuming Xpel isn't a total waste of time and money.

Dr color chip makes good touch up Paint kits just need your paint code. It works great for small chips. You buff the excess off so no blobs are left. As far as xpel goes I haven't used it before.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Paintscratch.com will sell you small bottles and even matched spray cans. I've had REALLY good luck (painted a front splitter once and it was perfect)

I've had Xpel on my car for about 18mo and no complaints. Just do yourself a HUGE favor and use some painter's tape to mask the edge if you hand wax the car. If you get any along the edge it's a HUGE pain to remove. If you don't then the clear bra edge shows very noticeably.

Also, Xpel is just another brand name for clear bra so don't fixate on it being that much better than most of the rest (there is some garbage out there) as 3M, Suntek, Nano-Fusion, Prestige, all work well. Xpel and 3M I know have self healing properties (little scratches fix themselves!) but 3M's film is a little more visible on the car, IMO.

Above all, a good installer is the most important thing in a clear bra, maybe tied with UV resistance
Old Mar 22, 2017, 08:35 AM

I've had mine on the Evo since new. It did get a couple of chips in the bumper in the 150 miles or so I drove it before getting installed.

What my installer recommended - install the film first, then do the touch-ups on the film. You get a cleaner result that way, and you can reapply if necessary without affecting your original finish.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 09:39 AM

Is the cost of Xpel worth it as opposed to getting a more durable paint job? Xpel on the full body will cost between 3.8-5.2k depending on the installer. I do not know about the paint.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Name:  RyyqDiY.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  105.9 KB

Is the cost of Xpel worth it as opposed to getting a more durable paint job? Xpel on the full body will cost between 3.8-5.2k depending on the installer. I do not know about the paint.
I have Xpel Ultimate front-only wrap for 3 years (36k miles) and it barely discoloured, and I like it as one of the best Evo mods.

I personally do not like full-car wrap because scratches, dents, and door dings over time will inevitably necessitate re-wrap of various panels every few years. I might, however, get a full-car wrap if I someday opt for an aftermarket paint job, and I'll just suck up the cost of having to re-wrap damaged panels periodically.

I talked to some of the best body shops and a full-car paint job for the Evo will cost around $15k to $20k. They can achieve stunning visuals, but even the most durable paint gets chipped fairly quickly. Even with such durable paint, frontal wrap with Xpel Ultimate may be necessary.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

I had xpel put on my evo as soon as I got the car. I have been really happy with it. I am a service writer at a lexus dealer and I brought my car to work one day. My parts/service director looked at my car and was impressed. We had an xpel rep come out and do a demonstration. We have since switched from 3m to xpel at our dealership.