Sportback GTS (AWD) - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Sportback GTS (AWD)

Old Jun 17, 2017, 09:48 PM   #1

Drives: Sportback GTS (soon)

Sportback GTS (AWD)

Hi, I'm clearly a new registered member of this forum. For some reason, I like to lurk un-registered on this and other lancer/evo/DSM/3s forums to gather information, but I think now it's actually time for me to write myself.

Now, I am in love with the Sportback GTS, for its design, and the fact that its manual. I am finally picking mine up soon(ish) and I have questions, and some statements.

Yes, I know the first answer people jump to, which is go buy a GSR, or its going to be expensive, but that is not at all answering the question, nor delving into the science of actually embarking in this project.

I am a automotive student and enthusiast, and the car I end up getting, will be around theoretically forever. I plan to buy it, maybe do some things cosmetically, while I stock up the parts for an appropriate AWD swap. Since the Sportback never came AWD, I intend to do it, and back it up with decent power.

From what I understand, the GTS and R///A are closer together as far as swap-able, parts, aside from some things from the evo X like the transmission, which I also know has its own computer as well.

So basic parts I will need:

*R///A Front & Rear sub-frame
*R///A Driveshaft
*R///A Axles
*EVO X trans & TC

and I'm clearly missing more.

Along with this, hopefully at the same time I intend to make a full evo out of it.
(Yes that means 4b11T swap as well.)

Yes I know, parts will be expensive, but is there anyone with insight what I am missing, or know anyone who has done it, or had been successful? Is there any fabrication needed? I didn't see any was far as I've seen, or even read. I cannot find anything with the countless hours of lurk research.

Also, Thanks for reading, and hopefully not telling my to bite it and get an EVO. It isn't what I want, and my car will be my money pit.

Old Jun 19, 2017, 09:54 AM   #2
EvoM Moderator

Drives: Men crazy

Probably cheaper to buy a used Ralliart Sportback.

Old Jun 19, 2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Evolved Member

Drives: 2011 WW Ralliart Sportback + 2015 MGP Evolution GSR

I have nothing against junkyard engineering as long as you have the time and tools to do the job.

The biggest question will be whether or not the floorpan is the same.

I'd also check the gas tank/filler. You'll need a Ralliart/Evo Exhaust. You'll need to address the active center diff so you'll need to figure that out (ACD pump and controller? Aftermarket center differential that isn't computer controlled?)

The Outlander Sport shares some drivetrain components with the Ralliart so you might find cheaper/more plentiful parts there if you can properly research / cross reference part numbers.

I foresee a lot of measuring/crawling on the ground in your future. You'll want easy access to both a R/A and a GSR to do it.

Old Jun 19, 2017, 02:20 PM   #4
Evolved Member

Drives: 05 WW Evo VIII RS, 1996 INFINITI I30 (DD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsionst View Post
Since the Sportback never came AWD, I intend to do it, and back it up with decent power.
You are mistaken the Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart is AWD. They are also easily obtainable and the best bang for your buck AWD turbo wagon on the market.

It would be easier to convert a Ralliart into a 5 speed manual than turn a GTS sportback into a Ralliart.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/28/r...akes-aim-at-t/

Old Jun 19, 2017, 07:13 PM   #5

I see, so I figure its better to go RA, and do a manual swap aside from the wiring / Christmas tree dash nightmare? Something in certainly willing to conquer since I will indeed have help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deylag View Post
You are mistaken the Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart is AWD. They are also easily obtainable and the best bang for your buck AWD turbo wagon on the market.

It would be easier to convert a Ralliart into a 5 speed manual than turn a GTS sportback into a Ralliart.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/28/r...akes-aim-at-t/
Yes you are right, I knew that but for some reason didn't convey myself clearly there, my bad.

So then the question would be, has anyone done specifically the manual swap and completed it? I searched the forum, and someone has completed the swap, but still have dashboard issues, and some other issues to deal with.

Old Jun 20, 2017, 02:43 AM   #6
Evolved Member

Drives: 05 WW Evo VIII RS, 1996 INFINITI I30 (DD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsionst View Post
I see, so I figure its better to go RA, and do a manual swap aside from the wiring / Christmas tree dash nightmare? Something in certainly willing to conquer since I will indeed have help.

So then the question would be, has anyone done specifically the manual swap and completed it? I searched the forum, and someone has completed the swap, but still have dashboard issues, and some other issues to deal with.
Yes it has been done before with different levels of success. The wiring issues can be solved if you get the correct parts and harnesses.

By going with a Ralliart Sportback you wouldn't have to worry about fabrication to mount the AWD system. Its a smaller scale project.

The reason why this swap isn't popular is because there is still a lack of information on the differences of engine harnesses and dash harnesses of Evos from 2011-2015.

Read through these threads to get a better scope of the swap:
https://boostedforums.net/showthread...peed-Swap-Info
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...completed.html

I see one fatal flaw with the Lancer FWD to AWD conversion. That is simply the AWD lancer was only available in CVT. The transmission needs to connect to a transfercase in order to be AWD. The FWD manual transmission wouldn't be designed to do that. Only the Evo X manual transmission is capable of AWD.

Old Jun 20, 2017, 09:45 AM   #7
Evolving Member

Drives: Evo X GSR

It seems like you would basically need an Evo X GSR as a donor car. Unless your goal was to do this piecemeal over a long period of time.

Old Jun 20, 2017, 04:39 PM   #8

At the moment, I only have possible access to a GTS Sportback, which isn't that much of a problem to me. I've been looking for some time within my range, and that seems to be the only one in my area. And that's okay since I will be piecing all the parts over time. ( and I could keep my manual skills to par.) Also, I probably will buy a GSR 4b11T with supporting transmission and go along with acquiring RA rear drive-train parts to mate with it if in that case. I know, automatic is faster, but wheres the fun? ahaha.

Old Jun 20, 2017, 04:42 PM   #9

Also, thank you for the links, I have reviewed the second one before, but felt like I missed a few things

Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:41 AM   #10
Evolved Member

Drives: 2010 RASB Tarmac Black

Start with RASB. Drive it (flash to S-sport too) in sport/manual and see if you still need a manual. I still prefer manuals (and would have had one if an option in the RASB) but do not think the conversion to a manual (from a GSR) is worth it...

Also, post in the RA forum.

Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:45 AM   #11
Evolved Member

Drives: 2011 WW Ralliart Sportback + 2015 MGP Evolution GSR

I'd still love to do a full Evo swap into a sportback. (Evo front clip and rear subframe/AYC/ACD)

Having a proper Evo Wagon would be sweet. But I think it's the sort of thing that, by nature, quickly descends into a caged, widebody, $30,000 build that I just couldn't afford to finish even though I already have one of each in the garage!

Old Jun 30, 2017, 07:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattj View Post
I'd still love to do a full Evo swap into a sportback. (Evo front clip and rear subframe/AYC/ACD)

Having a proper Evo Wagon would be sweet. But I think it's the sort of thing that, by nature, quickly descends into a caged, widebody, $30,000 build that I just couldn't afford to finish even though I already have one of each in the garage!
It's certainly something I want to do into the future! I haven't done even a fraction of research as I had done with the evos 8-9, so I'm still learning with the X's.

So coming up soon I will be getting a RA with some basic upgrades, first thing I'll probably end up doing is exhaust and/or wheels since I'm not a fan of the stock ones.

Off to the RA forum!