Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Does this Evo X seem fishy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this Evo X seem fishy?

Hey Everyone, new member here and hopefully a new owner soon. I came across this GSR in my area but a couple of things raised concerns for me.

https://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/l...2W8FV6EU016159

The Carfax report says it was rear ended, which isn't too concerning if the damage was minor but after it was bought by the dealership it's currently at they had two Condition Now Reports. They both say the front passenger fender and front passenger door were replaced, and nothing about the rear bumper or trunk were repaired. I'm pretty confident the bumper isn't the original.

There was also no pictures of under the hood so I don't know if it's modded either.

I am going to see/test drive it on Saturday but I was looking for more input
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not just fishy, it stinks! jk

But seriously you just have to be really careful about this car. The damages could have been real minor The Condition Now report states the fender and door were only repaired which could have been just paint damage, or it could have been from an impact I don't know how you would know for sure.
Make sure that the door opens and closes just as smooth as the rest of the vehicle. If it's off, then you know the damages were pretty bad and even a repair shop wasn't able to get the car good as new. Also check the fender and make sure the panel gap is consistent with the rest on the car, if not it could mean more was damaged than what was reported.

As far as modded, I could be wrong but the shift knob looks aftermarket and little things like the carbon fiber symbol on the steering wheel make me feel like even if it's stock under the hood it could have at one time not have been. If you can extend the warranty with the dealership it may be worth the money. I bought a 2014 GSR recently and got a 125,000 miles/6 year warranty just in case some bs happens.

BTW: It looks like a really nice car, hope that it ends up working out for you

Last edited by Brm3d1na; Jul 19, 2017 at 11:57 PM. Reason: forgot to mention...
Old Jul 20, 2017, 06:58 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yah also has vortex generator, shaved / blacked out emblems. Really wish they showed the engine bay.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I heard you never buy a used Evo at a dealership, based on that price and the accident history I'd pass.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The minor touches make me think the previous owners was in mid to early 20's with their first 'fast' car, but in-experienced. i have a feeling this car had stuff done to it with an off the shelf tune, then the next toy came along and everything was put back to stock.

i would pass; it does smells too fishy. don't fall for the tire shine.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 07:26 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone and sorry for not updating sooner. I went to go to the dealership today and they said they put it up for auction, which is probably for the best. I was already pretty skeptical going into it and it dawned on me later the car most likely had a second accident.

There were two Condition Now Reports after the current dealer bought it, but the front passenger side damage was reported after they had it for two months. I figured one of the employees or potential customer was driving it and got into an accident, but because it was owned by the dealer the accident didn't need to be reported. If the airbags deployed it would also explain why the steering wheel badge wasn't stock.

Thanks for all the advice and I did plan on inspecting it thoroughly for signs of past modding.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 06:55 PM

Sorry I'm late buuut

Originally Posted by minianthunter
Thanks for all the replies everyone and sorry for not updating sooner. I went to go to the dealership today and they said they put it up for auction, which is probably for the best. I was already pretty skeptical going into it and it dawned on me later the car most likely had a second accident.

There were two Condition Now Reports after the current dealer bought it, but the front passenger side damage was reported after they had it for two months. I figured one of the employees or potential customer was driving it and got into an accident, but because it was owned by the dealer the accident didn't need to be reported. If the airbags deployed it would also explain why the steering wheel badge wasn't stock.

Thanks for all the advice and I did plan on inspecting it thoroughly for signs of past modding.
Avoid this car! I miself checked it out & test drove it. Has a turbo back & the engine was severely modded. Even had headers, had a extremely rough idle could barely stay on. The paint tone didn't really match through the. I believe it had the driver door swapped because the inside wasn't properly matched. I bet someone beat it to hell then unloaded it at this dealer.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sure does look fishy..
dont buy something u arent sure of and end up with a car giving u trouble all the time
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DONT DO IT DONT EVEN LOOK AT IT
are you trying to purchase it because of the pricing? or?
because if i were you i would spend couple thousand more for something taken care of