Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Out with my evo 8 and in with my evo x

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Out with my evo 8 and in with my evo x

As the title says sold my evo 8 i have had for 2 years I loved that car but was ready for something a little more comfy to drive found a super clean 2008 evo x gsr with only 59k garaged queened with very minor bolt ons full exhaust tuned and coil overs and after market touch screen head unit...

Pretty excited to pick it up Sunday so 2 questions it was very well taken care of by a guy in his 40s he showed all maintenance but I always do my own to start so

First things first I used mobile 1 oil in my evo 8 10/30 Is it the same for evo x
And what spark plugs are recommended and what gap I always just did copper bpr8es with my oil change every 3k miles so what plugs for a evo x..

Cheers thanks for the help
Old Jan 19, 2018, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Goodness
As the title says sold my evo 8 i have had for 2 years I loved that car but was ready for something a little more comfy to drive found a super clean 2008 evo x gsr with only 59k garaged queened with very minor bolt ons full exhaust tuned and coil overs and after market touch screen head unit...

Pretty excited to pick it up Sunday so 2 questions it was very well taken care of by a guy in his 40s he showed all maintenance but I always do my own to start so

First things first I used mobile 1 oil in my evo 8 10/30 Is it the same for evo x
And what spark plugs are recommended and what gap I always just did copper bpr8es with my oil change every 3k miles so what plugs for a evo x..

Cheers thanks for the help
Congrats on the purchase. I've used Mobile 1 up until recently because I found a local shop that carries AMSoil but I had no issues when I was using it. I use NGK plugs and change them every 30k.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
congrats on the new car. Same as above, Mobile 1 oil and NGK plugs with no issues. I get a little **** about spark plugs so I usually swap them out every 15K or so. but when the plugs are pulled, they still look brand new. lol
Old Jan 19, 2018, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Congrats on the new car. The X is a great Evo, mine grew on me more than I ever could have thought. If you're keeping the car stockish, you can run the Mobil 1 and use an OEM/Wix filter. If you run the WIX, the part number is 57092. Plugs come gapped already, and they're a lot more expensive than the $2/plug coppers you're used to from the 4G63 days. The correct part number for the NGK's is 1422. As long as your engine is not knocking, and you're not bouncing it off the rev limiter a lot they should be good. I've ran a few sets of them through my car from stock power to double, generally change them prematurely once a season. They always look good coming out, but it's the peace of mind.

Good fluids are a must as you may know. Check to see if the recalls have been done on things such as the belt tensioners, CMC, etc. Check the FPR hose and see if anybody zip tied it on both ends. If not, it's a good start. Check the fuel pump relay and make sure it's been updated. And next time you're under the car, check the condition of the CV boots. See if they're leaking grease past the clamps.

That should keep you busy for the first little bit!
The following users liked this post:
AF13_Evo (Jan 20, 2018)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Will do all of the above thank you very much is it the same weight oil 10/30 or I have heard maybe I'm wrong but Mitsubishi went to 5/30 weight
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Congrats on the new. Ill just put in my input on 2 things.

-I would only ever recommend the OEM oil filter

-NGK plugs, and they're gapped right out of the box

-Austin@STM
Old Jan 19, 2018, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Ya I already ordered 3 oil filters so I habe them on hand I can get amsoil right by my house so I'll probably run that but should I run 5/30 or 10/30 ?
I've heard with the evo x FE they went to conventional oil did they revise that for all evo x or or is amsoil 10/30 fine to run?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have always used the factory 5/30 weight, and have used Amsoil for years with good results.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Goodness
Ya I already ordered 3 oil filters so I habe them on hand I can get amsoil right by my house so I'll probably run that but should I run 5/30 or 10/30 ?
I've heard with the evo x FE they went to conventional oil did they revise that for all evo x or or is amsoil 10/30 fine to run?
EG, congrats on your X. And welcome to the forum.

The X is spec’d for 5W30. If you have remaining bottles of 10W30, you can run that with zero issues. Being in OR, which is like a warm tropical rain forest type of environment should be well suited for 5 and 10W30.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've run ngk and shell Rotella t6 for 30k miles np issues