Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

HELP ! ! ! Centerpipe vs Midpipe

Old Feb 17, 2018, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
HELP ! ! ! Centerpipe vs Midpipe

Dear Forum Members,

I "think" I have FINALLY narrowed my exhaust down and I'm ready to purchase. I have decided to go with the HKS Legamax Premium Exhaust. I was about to order when I saw that there was an option for the exhaust WITH or WITHOUT the center pipe.
The description on the product says it bolts directly to the stock Evo mid pipe. If that is the case, what does the centerpipe do? Is the centerpipe HKS is selling a less restrictive midpipe but they just call it centerpipe? This is important because I'm just looking to add a deeper tone to my car so if I can get that without the need for the aftermarket center pipe, I'll go that route. If I NEED to add the after market center pipe to get that tone, I'll do it but I would rather spend the extra $450 on something else. The tone I'm looking at getting can be seen in these two videos:

ANY help you guys can give would greatly be appreciated.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Legamax is a stock diameter setup so you can either go with the rear-subframe back/muffler only option or you can get their cat-back version with the center pipe, which would eliminate the factory resonator and replace it with a smaller one.

You can order the pipe separately so I'd just go with the muffler and see how you like it as there are negligible-to-nonexistent performance gains with the Legamax. It's purely for the sound which is fine on a stock-turbo car.

Muffler only:

Full system:

P/N for just the center pipe:
33004-AM001