Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Best CBE under $650

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best CBE under $650

Hello Everyone! Just traded by Focus ST for an 11 Evo X GSR—and of course i’m immediately looking at my first upgrades. I want something inexpensive—preferably under &650 if possible. I’ve found the TurboXS, TopSpeed Pro1, and the MXP comp RS. They are all around the same price—I was looking for some opinions from you experts on which one you’d go with. There is practically no info on the comp RS on here (1 post), and it’s SUS401 instead of 304 stainless—but it sounds the best IMO. Let me know your thoughts—thanks! Open to any other brands I may have missed in that range as well.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
TopSpeed sounds incredible. But if you don't do the downpipe the catback won't fit without modification. Surface rust is a real thing with this brand and their customer service is garbage. But it sounds incredible.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Find a good used one! Sakura street exhaust sounds awesome, I had it and loved it.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the input—I’d love to do the DP as well but then I’d need to drop another $500 for a tuner to avoid a CEL. The fiancée wouldn’t be too pleased dropping all that dough a week after buying a car, haha.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
ETS has their V2 exhausts on sale right now b/c they just roll out the V3s... Not sure the price however it will bolt right up to the stock cat and sound great. Im running the V2 extreme on my car now
Old Apr 25, 2018, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I loved how my Turbo XS sounded with test pipe. The mufflers were also modded into straight pipes while retaining the exhaust tips so it was a bit loud but perfect for me. My MXP (non rs) dual muffler isnt as loud as the TurboXS though and sometimes I crave a bit more sound. Once thing I liked about the Turbo XS was the lack of bends the exhaust had allowing the flow of the exhaust to pass through with ease.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

I've got the stm stainless single and think it's great! Extra weight loss and sounds great. They are $649 but I believe they have a 5% off code out right now and free shipping.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

I have the top speed pro 1 exhaust on my car and love it. They are priced right for what they are and sound great. It’s not a very quiet exhaust though. So be prepared for some noise. I had no issue with the stock downpipe and fitment
Old Apr 25, 2018, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the info—my only small issue is I like the blue tips. I think I’m going to go ProSpeed
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreenAWD
I have the top speed pro 1 exhaust on my car and love it. They are priced right for what they are and sound great. It’s not a very quiet exhaust though. So be prepared for some noise. I had no issue with the stock downpipe and fitment
Interesting. It wouldn't line up, called into TopSpeed and they said it was meant to only mount up with their downpipe. Overall the exhaust sounds great, but the rest of it leaves something to be desired. I've had an aftermarket exhaust on every car I've ever owned and this is the only one that is stainless that has developed surface rust.. and something more considerably on the tips.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 06:38 AM

Thanks Captain--ease of installation is important to me, now i'm a little worried. I've listened to about 23469 sound clips on YouTube, Now all of a sudden i am starting to like the look of a single exit as well. Decisions decisions--i appreciate everyone input.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mbrovt
Thanks Captain--ease of installation is important to me, now i'm a little worried. I've listened to about 23469 sound clips on YouTube, Now all of a sudden i am starting to like the look of a single exit as well. Decisions decisions--i appreciate everyone input.

I got my 13 GSR about a month and a half ago and within a week I had the Invidia N1 single on my car. I haven't found a ton of good quality "non sitting in the garage revving the beans out of it" videos so I tried to make one of my own to hear the exhaust under load. I made a drive by one but it has tons of background noise and the camera was stationary so it's not great. It backfires often shifting 1st to 2nd and is for sure louder than stock. I love the look of it and it turns heads, but I really want to hear it from the outside. It was well under your budget at <$500 too.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mbrovt
My friend who is a professional tech and a big time enthusiast installed mine and he showed me how it didn't line up at all. He spoke to TopSpeed too. It was way off. The welds were nice, but the fitment sucked and the fit and finish left something to be desired. I hate the idea of surface rust, that after I clean it it comes back in what feels like minutes. And the after purchase customer service is HORRIBLE. Maybe I had a one off bad one, but I doubt it. When I voiced my complaints to several people they weren't surprised or interested in remedying the situation with what they should have done, swapping it for a new one.

The good side is that is does sound incredible but be ready for it to be loud. It pops on deceleration, bangs when you throw it into the next gear, and crackles at low speed slowing down. It drones plenty at high speed, and at 80+ you better be an enthusiast. With that said, I like how it sounds plenty. Haven't heard another one (without the rest of the Evo being modded further) that sounded as good.
Old May 2, 2018, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Look into the Magnaflow. I believe it’s in your price range.
Old May 6, 2018, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it have to be brand new? I bought a mint ets v2 quiet two months ago with an ams hfc for 600 shipped. I couldn’t be happier with the sound and noise level. Perfect dd.