Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

NJ evo shop recommendation

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NJ evo shop recommendation

Hey guys, I've just bought an EVO X 2 weeks ago and I live in NJ near the Elizabeth area. I'm here because I'm concern about where should I bring my baby Eve to a good reputable shop for tuning, installations and so forth with a cheap/ reasonable price. Right now, I'm waiting for my intake/exhaust system to come in because I ordered already from ETS. Tuning is my next step and I was going to see if IveyTune would be a good place to trust Eve with. However, I was browsing in this forums and most people say IveyTune is bad , and I came across one thread regarding akuma motorsport that for some apparent reason people are having bad dyno results ... so I don't know what to do now. I don't want to really travel at far place like Connecticut because Eve is hitting the 100k and I need that 100k tune up bad. Please give me any information or advice or maybe you guys can recommend me to someone. I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old May 2, 2018, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Check out Chad Block Racing Development in York, Pennsylvania.
www.CBRDSpeedfactory.com
Old May 2, 2018, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been to Iveytune and I haven't had any bad experiences with them, but will say they can be rude at times when you call up there to schedule a appointment. I'm not a fan of CBRD. Shop isn't really responsive unless you're spending a lot of money. Evans Tuning has a pretty good reputation, but I haven't had any personal experience with them and RT Tuning is a good shop as well even though they're specialty seem to be Subarus.
Old May 3, 2018, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Jeff Evans is a great guy and an excellent tuner. For mechanical work IR Performance are a reputable shop in Keansburg that has a Mustang AWD dyno too. They have a stellar reputation in the RX7 world and also work on Evo's subies and GTR's
Old May 3, 2018, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Haven't been to Ivey yet but I've called them like 4 or 5 times now about possibly getting an intake. They picked up right away and always spent at least a good 5 minutes answering my questions. And they've been around for ages.
Old May 3, 2018, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by fafaforza
Haven't been to Ivey yet but I've called them like 4 or 5 times now about possibly getting an intake. They picked up right away and always spent at least a good 5 minutes answering my questions. And they've been around for ages.
Never used them personally but never seen anyone talk badly of Ivey tuning. Great shop from what I've read / heard
Old May 5, 2018, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I had great experiences with Ivey when I was on the east coast, with both installations and tuning. And got exceptional support afterwards.
Old May 6, 2018, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iveytune

IveyTune is one of the best in NJ. They are well known and yes they may be a little pricey at times but you get what you pay for.
Old May 8, 2018, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Currently tuned by iveytune it’s been over a year and no issues. Super professional shop and Sean is very helpful and so is the rest of the staff. Ivey’s been in the game for a very long time especially with DSM’s. It’s one of best shops around this area.

RT Tuning is also good but I had a bad experience with them. Went in for an issue where they had to remove my downpipe and the tech ended up stripping two bolts long story short. What was suppose to be a 1 hour job took close to 11 hours and off course I had to pay for the labor cost for those hours. They did reason and settle halfway but still with all of the experience they should’ve been cautious I guess.

Old May 8, 2018, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TheIndianGuy
Currently tuned by iveytune it’s been over a year and no issues. Super professional shop and Sean is very helpful and so is the rest of the staff. Ivey’s been in the game for a very long time especially with DSM’s. It’s one of best shops around this area.

RT Tuning is also good but I had a bad experience with them. Went in for an issue where they had to remove my downpipe and the tech ended up stripping two bolts long story short. What was suppose to be a 1 hour job took close to 11 hours and off course I had to pay for the labor cost for those hours. They did reason and settle halfway but still with all of the experience they should’ve been cautious I guess.

Fixing 2 stripped screws took 11 hours? AND they charged you for it? Something missing here?
Old May 8, 2018, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Fixing 2 stripped screws took 11 hours? AND they charged you for it? Something missing here?
Yeah that's crazy what in the...
Old May 9, 2018, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Yeah that's crazy what in the...
Yes, something is missing. That's why i said long story short lol didnt want to take the tread off topic. To summarize, the two bolts stripped went from the downpipe to the turbo housing, shop had to send out the T-housing to a machine shop to have it retreaded. The machine shop took their time because this wasn't a priority to them. Appointment was for 830am left shop around 9pm.

I've known RT tuning for a long long time, never heard anything bad about them, but guess i was just the unlucky one to have experienced this.
Old May 9, 2018, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheIndianGuy
Yes, something is missing. That's why i said long story short lol didnt want to take the tread off topic. To summarize, the two bolts stripped went from the downpipe to the turbo housing, shop had to send out the T-housing to a machine shop to have it retreaded. The machine shop took their time because this wasn't a priority to them. Appointment was for 830am left shop around 9pm.

I've known RT tuning for a long long time, never heard anything bad about them, but guess i was just the unlucky one to have experienced this.
Yes but at the same time, THEY stripped the bolts, not you. Unless you jacked something up before they touched the car, a good shop would stand behind their work, accidents or not, and not make the customer pay for something they did. Just my opinion

No worries on sidetracking the thread, as with most threads a question is asked, a million great responses are generated but the OP never shows back up lol!
Old May 10, 2018, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Yes but at the same time, THEY stripped the bolts, not you. Unless you jacked something up before they touched the car, a good shop would stand behind their work, accidents or not, and not make the customer pay for something they did. Just my opinion

No worries on sidetracking the thread, as with most threads a question is asked, a million great responses are generated but the OP never shows back up lol!
believe me I tried to argue with them regarding that. I was told it’s a known issue for those bolts to strip like that. I told them if it’s known, then your tech should’ve been super careful taking them out and not using a damm impact gun to do it. At the end I had to get my car out of there and get home. So I ended paying for it.

thats the only reason why I won’t take my car there to get mechanical work done.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
does ivey know anything about tunning the sst?

Quick Reply: NJ evo shop recommendation