Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X double din help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X double din help

I don't know where to post this but i need some help. I got a 2014 gsr with stock double din radio with no amp. i believe ss package. Anyways can i use the stock dash pieces to fit a double din or i need an aftermarket dash kit if so which one? I heard metra and scroche are not good. What else do i need to keep my steering wheel controls aswell.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 07:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kingdarksouls
I don't know where to post this but i need some help. I got a 2014 gsr with stock double din radio with no amp. i believe ss package. Anyways can i use the stock dash pieces to fit a double din or i need an aftermarket dash kit if so which one? I heard metra and scroche are not good. What else do i need to keep my steering wheel controls aswell.

You will need an aftermarket one. I have a Scosche and it's OK ! color matches and serves the purpose.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
You can get a good fit with crutchfield they have stereo listings that fit and bezels if you need it.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I have a Pioneer in my 2015 with nothing else. There's a small gap but it doesn't bother me.

I like the silver line on the OEM air vent thing so I didn't really want to change up to an aftermarket one without it.

Here's a couple of pretty crappy gopro video snaps.

Evo X double din help-pp2bhij.png

Name:  QeKfuje.png
Views: 0
Size:  503 Bytes
Old Sep 5, 2018, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
KingDarkSouls,

I agree with Asuarez. I have the Scosche and I'm VERY happy with it. I"ll see if I can snap a few pics later and post them. In terms of fitment, there are TWO fitment areas I want to address. One is the fitment of the unit in relation to the rest of the dash and Two is the fitment of the head unit itself within the aftermarket Scosche piece.

1. The fitment of the Scosche unit in relation to the OEM would be (imo) a 9 out of 10 with 10 being OEM fitment. Since its an aftermarket unit and won't fit PERFECTLY, you'll notice it more than anyone else. I've had TONS of people in my car and even after I asked if they can tell this unit is not OEM, they say "It looks like it came with the car".

2. In relation to the fit of a double din head unit in the Scosche, I would say the fitment will vary. Mine has TINY gaps on the side that are slightly noticeable (again, more by me than anyone else) but my double din head unit has a detachable face. I could have had the installer fit a bezel around it for a more stock looking fit but it would affect my ability to remove and reattach the face. I would say my fitment on that is probably a 8 - 8.5 out of 10. IF I chose to get a bezel installed, it would be a 9.5 - 10 EASILY.

If you have any concerns about the scosche, I can say with confidence to go ahead and pull the trigger and get it. You WILL notice that's it's not perfect but I don't think you'll regret buying it unless you're SUPER **** about things.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the response guys. Really appreciate it so much but also how can I keep my steering wheel controls ?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Steering wheel controls depend on what head unit you get.

With Android units, it appears to be very easily programmable. You go into an app, press the wheel button and assign a control to it. I would guess it's done using whatever wiring harness it comes with specific for the Evo.

With something like a Pioneer, you can get a harness from Axxess (a separate harness from the regular one to get the head unit working). There are probably other manufacturers too.

My Pioneer manual shows references to http://maestro.idatalink.com. Looks like this one requires some wiring too, but it might provide more info, like PSI readouts, gauges, etc.

If you want something simple, you could just get a steering wheel mounted remote control:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...trols/CD-SR100

I have the Axxess but haven't gotten around to installing it as it requires tapping into some factory wiring plugs. I want to keep everything I do reversible. So I'm not ready yet to take that step just for wheel controls. I just use the radio buttons.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kingdarksouls
Thanks for the response guys. Really appreciate it so much but also how can I keep my steering wheel controls ?
There are ways to do it but when I was in the market for my after market double din radio, I remember it being a HUGE hassle just to keep the functionality of 2 or 3 buttons. Even when I first got my car, I was so used to not having steering wheel controls, I hardly ever used them anyway. Now that I have to control my touchscreen unit with my hands, its not even a foreign thing to me.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 02:36 AM

@fafaforza are you happy with your Pioneer unit? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off topic. I'm looking for a good reliable head unit for my car.
I've been looking at reviews and they are all hype. So I'm kinda undecided.

I've been looking at the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. Found this site talking about
the best pioneer head unit and got me more on the fence. How bad is the slow start? I have
large fingers how small are those buttons?

Any tips are welcomed.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

That site looks pretty dumb. "Best double din for backup camera". Retarded thing to say. They pretty much just listed every 2din unit out there and attached "best for ____", probably to pad their content. So I would forget all they had to say. Use reputable sites like Crutchfield. Watch videos by 5 Star Car Stereo on youtube.

I'm pretty happy with my Pioneer 4200, and the W4500 fixes some of the things that are lacking on mine. Mainly, you can scroll around and pinch to zoom on Google maps (in Apple Carplay) which I can't do on my 4200, which makes it a pain to navigate with pressing arrows on screen. Both are still clear resistive screens so won't be as smooth as a phone screen, but the 4500 is much improved.

The Kenwood has a capacitive screen in all their units I believe, and is really responsive, just like your phone, but I didn't find their interface as clean and intuitive as the Pioneer. Though I think Kenwood units have 5v audio out, versus i think 4v for Pioneer, if that might be a huge deal to you. I'm not a huge audiophile so I couldn't tell the difference

Only thing I really miss is a volume knob, but all of the 2din units only come with volume buttons. Some Sony ones have a knob but they don't seem too robust, for example only one USB port, and they're only 5" screens to make room for the knob.

My unit boots up pretty fast. I never find myself sitting there, tapping my fingers for audio to come on. But I also don't immediately drive off after the engine turns over. That means that my rear view camera will be functional. And it turns on pretty much immediately after getting into reverse. (I got my camera separately, a cheap $15 unit from amazon that goes behind the license plate. Worked fined with the radio. The 4500 might come with one, not sure)

Had the radio like 2 years now I think? I think I had to reset it once. But then that was when I left my OEM Sirius unit plugged in, which was my mistake. No issues at all since disconnecting it. People with those 8"/10" Android frequently have lockups, and issues with volume levels.

Go to Best Buy. They should have a lot of the latest models on display to play with. If they don't go to a different one. Even the crappy one here in Brooklyn had most of them.

5 Star also has more info between the Pioneer and Kenwood, which really are the main players. Kenwood came out with some new radios with new features, so might be worth looking into, though since I already have mine, I haven't spent the time myself.

You can also get older models if you wanna save money. These radios do drop in price used pretty fast, and my $500 4200NEX unit could barely fetch me $200 now. So for example, I've been eyeing the Pioneer 8200 because it has a capacitive screen. Originally cost something like $1100, now can be had for $400.

The one thing I'd recommend is if you will use it for Google Maps, get a radio that lets to pinch to zoom, pan around, etc, cause it's really dangerous trying to hit a tiny *** arrow to zoom or move around the map. I like my Garmin so most times I use that and only Google Maps if I need to avoid traffic.