Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What is the rear O2 sensor really for?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What is the rear O2 sensor really for?

Hello everyone, bone stock '14 MR here.

Computer threw a P0138 today and nothing else. The exhaust smelled fine and the engine pulled fine (up to about 5500 RPM, didn't go near WOT), so I cleared the code. I took the car on two brief drives afterwards and the code didn't come back. Hopefully, it stays that way.

I asked around in my local Evo group and searched as much as I could online, but I found conflicting opinions. On one hand, the trouble code dictionaries all say that not addressing P0138 can lead to catastrophic cat and/or engine failure. On the other hand, all the owners say the rear O2 sensor isn't really necessary, so wiping the code is fine.

Keep in mind our car is completely stock, and it's a grocery-getter.

What does rear O2 sensor actually do? What are the consequences of ignoring it? What could've caused the P0138 in the first place?

Thank you for all your help!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
The rear O2 is primarily used to monitor the efficiency of the Cat whereas the front is for fuel trim. My '11 Ralliart threw a P0135 and replacing the sensor fixed it. Ignoring it shouldn't have any real consequence aside from a check engine light. Though, if replacing it doesn't fix the issue, it's possible that your cat-con failed which, if clogged up, could cause you some loss of power/backpressure issues with your exhaust.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you letting the car fully warm up before driving? Was this on a cold day? I can’t see the O2 causing crazy issues, but if you clear it and it comes back you should look into replacing it. And if you’re under warranty try and See if the dealership can warranty it!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xerxess
Are you letting the car fully warm up before driving? Was this on a cold day? I can’t see the O2 causing crazy issues, but if you clear it and it comes back you should look into replacing it. And if you’re under warranty try and See if the dealership can warranty it!
Thanks for the response!

The code came up after I picked up the car from window tinting. I imagine the car was cold when it came out of the shop. The weather was pretty warm that day, easily t-shirt weather. I cleared the code and it hasn't come back after two trips.

I think the code may have been triggered from me messing around fuses the day before. I was inspecting my relays, and I unplugged and reseated the O2 sensor relays. Could that have done something, maybe?