Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

evo x alternator questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo x alternator questions

my 2012 gsr is 6.5 years old and has 86k on it.
i inconsistently began to experience the red battery light flash every now and then on the dash, with the occasional *charging system service required* notification. took it to the dealer and was advised that the alternator will need to be replaced.
searched online and it doesn't look like this is a common issue. maperformance doesn't even sell an alternator for our car.
really surprised that my alternator is going out already but they are quoting $512 for the part and $400 in labor.
curious to see when other evo x owners have had to replace their alternator.
searched for part # M1800A155D and found a couple of mitsubishi parts websites such as:
https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...tor-m1800a155d
https://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/o...tor-m1800a155d
anybody have any experience with the websites referenced above?
evo x service manual shows that i'll have to remove the ac compressor and radiator fan to get the alternator out. if anyone has any experience, feedback or insight they could share with the installation/removal process, would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
No experience with the 2 sites you listed, but I know a lot of people that have used "mitsubishiparts.com"

Alternator here: ~$430.00
https://mitsubishiparts.com/2012-mit...nator-6267115/

There is a thread on one of the other forums about replacing their alternator too. I believe he only had to remove the radiator fan shroud.
Its hard to get to.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 09:40 AM

thanks for the response!
I ended up purchasing the alternator from the first link: https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...tor-m1800a155d
$426 which included the core charge and shipping - not bad.
i called and found out they are a mitsu dealership in florida that pushes a lot of parts online which is why they're able to discount it. vegas dealership didn't want to match it.
should be receiving the part in a few days, will attempt the install this weekend.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
It's RC Hill Mitsubishi in Deland. I got my GSR there in 2015, drove back up to NYC cause they had a good price and because roadtrip. Nice people there. Picked me up at the Orlando airport and drove me 50 miles to the place. I've bought stuff from them since then, like rain guards and a touchup pen. They usually have good prices.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 02:05 PM

the attempt begins..
so service manual says to remove belt, fan, fan motor and fan shroud assembly & ac compressor.
belt is off, started to look at the radiator fan assembly and there is no way i'm getting that out without removing the top radiator hose (would rather not) - ac compressor is unbolted and i can move it a few inches here and there, gives me a peek at the alternator but no space to really move it anywhere, it's a tight fit in there!
any suggestions?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

The ac compressor should be able to swing down and rotate out of the way from the hoses. That is how I did it when I pulled my engine. As for the fan shroud, it should be able to rotated up and away without moving the radiator hose. Just need to find the right angle.