Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Driving without foot well carpet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Driving without foot well carpet

Anyone driving without that removable carpet with the spiky bottom?

I'm 6'2", and not having it gives me a very much needed half an inch or so of buffer between my legs and steering wheel. With the carpet, I almost always press my leg against the wheel when operating the clutch.

I would want to have something thin as a replacement to not wear out the base carpet. Wondering if anyone would have any ideas for materials.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Are you talking about the floor mats? I run the stock ones and the OE rubber/winter mats are even thicker. If you're looking to replace the floor mat with something thin, go to the local big box hardware store and look for the cheap commercial rubber backed entry mats, like this: Door mat You should be able to trace out the OE mat and cut to fit. It should be discreet and protect the footwell carpet while being much thinner......
The following users liked this post:
fafaforza (Oct 28, 2018)
Old Oct 28, 2018, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Great suggestion. I picked up that specific one as it was very thin, had a matching color/finish, and had a rubber back. This let me put some adhesive velcro to the back. The carpet is not moving at all now, no risk of it bunching up or getting caught in the pedals.

Driving without foot well carpet-1fp8r55.jpg

Driving without foot well carpet-5usn1ml.jpg

Couple more pics here: https://imgur.com/a/7UeCTa9
Old Oct 29, 2018, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Nice! I've used the larger versions of those as a trunk liner in a few different cars. So much cheaper than the OE or Weathertech options and does a very good job with dirty and damp items. I guess the Weathertech is nice if you need to catch spills but otherwise it's crazy expensive in comparison.