Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo 8 owner looking to get into X MR. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 01:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Evo 8 owner looking to get into X MR. What to look for?

I own a 2003 Evo 8. I’m looking for a new daily driver and I had a 2011 MR pop up semi local. Car has 100K miles on it and is bone stock with most of the service records. Car is a steal on the price.
Is there anything specific I should look for when checking out the car?
car will be a daily driver, will get intake, exhaust and Cobb access port, for the foreseeable future, that’s all the car will ever be modded.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
drive it for a few minutes make sure no transmission errors or lights. Ask when the last transmission fluid change was. Once car up to temp test it in normal mode, sport mode and sport # it should shift cleanly in all gears, even if the guy has to drive it with you in it to demonstrate.

If all that checks out and the car feels good you could post up some engine bay shots for us all to weigh in on any visible mods, then go from there. As a former MR owner, just leave it stock if you get it, your wallet will thank you.

I'm not sure if the 2011 has the revised timing chain, do some research on that, if it doesn't have the revised timing chain like the 2012 on up do for sure, check and see if it has been done. That's one of the only big things for older X EVO's that I'm aware of.

Good luck it's a fun car!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 08:14 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I have a 2011 MR and it does have the revised timing chain. You want to see new filter and trans fluid at least every 30k and oem fluid only. Any other fluid except oem is unacceptable. All the other drivetrain maintenance should also be documented but oem fluids aren't as critical there. Obviously engine oil and filter changes at least every 5k with fully synthetic only. You should also have a PPI performed by a shop that specializes in Evo's or at least the platform before you pull the trigger.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 08:28 AM
2x4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do bolt ons and a tune I would stay away from the Cobb off the shelf maps. Many have have had issues with them. Open source tune with a shop that's experienced with the MR would be preferable.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I wouldn't touch a SST equipped Mitsu with 100k on it but that's just me.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
drive it for a few minutes make sure no transmission errors or lights. Ask when the last transmission fluid change was. Once car up to temp test it in normal mode, sport mode and sport # it should shift cleanly in all gears, even if the guy has to drive it with you in it to demonstrate.

If all that checks out and the car feels good you could post up some engine bay shots for us all to weigh in on any visible mods, then go from there. As a former MR owner, just leave it stock if you get it, your wallet will thank you.

I'm not sure if the 2011 has the revised timing chain, do some research on that, if it doesn't have the revised timing chain like the 2012 on up do for sure, check and see if it has been done. That's one of the only big things for older X EVO's that I'm aware of.

Good luck it's a fun car!
I will do this. I believe the 2011s do have the revised timing chain. Thanks

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I have a 2011 MR and it does have the revised timing chain. You want to see new filter and trans fluid at least every 30k and oem fluid only. Any other fluid except oem is unacceptable. All the other drivetrain maintenance should also be documented but oem fluids aren't as critical there. Obviously engine oil and filter changes at least every 5k with fully synthetic only. You should also have a PPI performed by a shop that specializes in Evo's or at least the platform before you pull the trigger.
I will have a PPI done. There is a local shop in the area that I have heard good things about.

Originally Posted by 2x4
If you do bolt ons and a tune I would stay away from the Cobb off the shelf maps. Many have have had issues with them. Open source tune with a shop that's experienced with the MR would be preferable.
I will avoid an off the shelf tune, but my tuner is very fimiliar with the Cobb APs so I figured I would just purchase a used AP and have a protuberance done.

Originally Posted by razorlab
I wouldn't touch a SST equipped Mitsu with 100k on it but that's just me.
Ive already spoke with Jacks Transmissions, and if there is anything funky going on with the SST trans, I can justify the 2400 rebuild because the car is priced cheap enough.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:19 AM
EvoM Guru

What kinda price we talking about here?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

what kinda price we talking about here?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 01:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by GSX_TO_EVO

Suspiciously cheap
Old Nov 19, 2018, 02:34 AM
Evolved Member

Suspiciously cheap
the dealer was originally asking 18.5 for the car, but after negotiating we came to 14.5 as a CASH price. It’s an out of state sale for them so I have to register the car on my own.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Engine bay shot as requested.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
This is not MR specific but early 2011s may not have the revised timing chain. I forgot the exact month Mitsu started using the newer chains but my build date is May 2011 and mine had just cleared it when I checked.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 03:17 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, I have decided to pass on the car, I’m going to invest the money into my Galant VR4 to make it daily worthy instead.