Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Newbie Buying Salvage Evo Mr 40K (Need Info)

Old Feb 12, 2019, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Buying Salvage Evo Mr 40K (Need Info)

Hey Guys,
Hooe you all are doing well. Just wanted to introduce myself. I love cars and have owned a 2007 STI with Stage 2 couple years back. I sold the car due to personal reasons. I always wanted to buy an Evo and finally this month i started looking for the car. I am a newbie when it comes to Evo but there is a guy who is selling a 2014 Mitsubishi Evo MR with 40K mile. It has a salvage title. The car had left suspension & front bumper damage. I will post the pics below.

Questions :-
1) The guy is asking 18K. I don't think the Salvage title car is worth that price. From your experience what should be the correct price ?. The guy stated that he has fixed everything and been driving for the past year since he bought the car from the auction house
2) Later down the road, i am just planning to go to Stage 2. Is that bad for MR ?
3) Why people will prefer GSR vs MR ?
4) Is it true that the SST transmissions can only hold 349 LB of torque ?
5) Is SST transmission expensive to fix as compare to GSR ?
6) If it was your, will you buy a salvage stock car with 40K miles on it for 18K ? What is the reasonable price for the car ?
7) Any input for me before i test drive the car ?

2014 Evo MR 40K miles

Suspension Damage
Old Feb 12, 2019, 06:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey welcome aboard

Im a 9 owner so not too comfortable on giving advice on the X. The salvage title doent bother me too much. At least you have the before pic showing some of the damage
Curious if all the air bag modules were replaced?

Have seen many guys posting up on the SST trans but dont know much about it

Keep us posted on your search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 07:48 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
The MR is much more expensive to maintain and to upgrade because of the SST. Evos come from the factory with weak clutches, and its often that they need to be upgraded when increasing the power. It just happens that doing that to an SST is way more expensive, and there are fewer places out there that can do it right. Maintenance wise the SST requires a filter and a pretty expensive fluid from Mitsubishi that should be changed more often then you would on a MT. Also if you start tracking the car, the SST will require additional cooling.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Feb 12, 2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Hard pass if the transmission took any sort of hit that's not worth getting into. Get a GSR of some flavor your bank will thank you.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all. I think I’ll pass on the MR edition. I need GSR much reliable and easy to upgrade and the transmission is cheaper also as compare to sst. Also 0-60 time sucks for the MR.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by darkdog786
Thanks all. I think I’ll pass on the MR edition. I need GSR much reliable and easy to upgrade and the transmission is cheaper also as compare to sst. Also 0-60 time sucks for the MR.
Correct on all but 0-60 - it's 1/2 a second quicker than the GSR due to the speed of shifting and extra gear. Also there are no spare parts for sale for MR transmissions, so as the years pile on those will be harder and harder to fix.

Search this Thread