Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2010 EVOX MR Touring with tons of MODS but

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 EVOX MR Touring with tons of MODS but

So, I have went a few rounds with my 2010 EVO X MR Touring since I bought it in October of 2010. It's had 2 sleeved and built motors, its got AMS, Cobb, Dodson, and MAP3 parts with a FP Black Turbo that moves it out and definitely brings a smile to my face. Over all its been a super fun car that I am kinda mildly happy with. My first AWD car and I went with the MR version cause everyone likes to hate on the SST clutch but seriously 500whp is completely fine for a daily driver in the Northern Virginia Area plus I don't have to sit in traffic day in and day out and work on my leg fitness with a stage 3 clutch.

Here's my "but" though - I'm kinda over it. The last engine replacement lasted for a year (something to do with the timing chain tensors failing). So I have an EVO X in the garage and I don't have the heart to put a 3rd motor into it.

I think I would rather let it go.

In order to get it back to the way I want it, to fit all the other mods done to it, the block and heads would cost $15k (not including install). That's more then what I would sell the car; in its current non-running state.

It's either sell it or rebuild and reassemble the engine myself and just keep it as a personal project car.

Anyone else been in this position with their EVO before?
Old May 27, 2019, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Lots I'm sure, tough spot to be. What would it take to 'put it to stock' if that's an option? You lose a ton when you sell non running, as I'm sure you know...
Old May 27, 2019, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Built2Fast
So, I have went a few rounds with my 2010 EVO X MR Touring since I bought it in October of 2010. It's had 2 sleeved and built motors, its got AMS, Cobb, Dodson, and MAP3 parts with a FP Black Turbo that moves it out and definitely brings a smile to my face. Over all its been a super fun car that I am kinda mildly happy with. My first AWD car and I went with the MR version cause everyone likes to hate on the SST clutch but seriously 500whp is completely fine for a daily driver in the Northern Virginia Area plus I don't have to sit in traffic day in and day out and work on my leg fitness with a stage 3 clutch.

Here's my "but" though - I'm kinda over it. The last engine replacement lasted for a year (something to do with the timing chain tensors failing). So I have an EVO X in the garage and I don't have the heart to put a 3rd motor into it.

I think I would rather let it go.

In order to get it back to the way I want it, to fit all the other mods done to it, the block and heads would cost $15k (not including install). That's more then what I would sell the car; in its current non-running state.

It's either sell it or rebuild and reassemble the engine myself and just keep it as a personal project car.

Anyone else been in this position with their EVO before?
Do you ever miss your Z, and how much did you let it go for when you parted ways with it?

I regret trading my 2003 track edition in (for 7or 8k) when I got the Evo, mostly because it was already paid off. In hindsight, for 7k I should have just kept it. Because of that, I don't believe I will ever get rid of the X. It's paid off, don't have any space/parking issues, and they are not making any more of them. If it comes down to space and you can only have space for 1 fun/sports car, do what you have to do and get something newer. Engineering has came a long way since then, and its pretty easy to make more power than the Evo on a lot of these current platforms.You have this car because its fun, so if it's turned into more of a chore, change things up and grab something else.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Metal_AF
Do you ever miss your Z, and how much did you let it go for when you parted ways with it?

I regret trading my 2003 track edition in (for 7or 8k) when I got the Evo, mostly because it was already paid off. In hindsight, for 7k I should have just kept it. Because of that, I don't believe I will ever get rid of the X. It's paid off, don't have any space/parking issues, and they are not making any more of them. If it comes down to space and you can only have space for 1 fun/sports car, do what you have to do and get something newer. Engineering has came a long way since then, and its pretty easy to make more power than the Evo on a lot of these current platforms.You have this car because its fun, so if it's turned into more of a chore, change things up and grab something else.
Worst life decision I ever made was letting go of my 350z. That thing was an absolute beast! I was just going back to college and I let my ex talk me into selling it along with my Armada for just 1 vehicle - which is why I got the EVO.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Built2Fast
Worst life decision I ever made was letting go of my 350z. That thing was an absolute beast! I was just going back to college and I let my ex talk me into selling it along with my Armada for just 1 vehicle - which is why I got the EVO.
What's your space situation like? Do you have room for another fun car? I'd keep it around and grab something RWD, unless you were planning on upgrading the Evo to a GTR or an AMG c43.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If it was me, it would depend on what car I want to replace EVO X with. Even considering 15K+ to fix your EVO, if you still like the platform, that is still cheaper than getting a new car with the same fun power. I was considering replacing my EVO at one point or another, one option would be a Porsche Cayman S. Considering that Cayman S is now 70K+....well I'll just keep my EVO for now. Anything else would just feel slow by comparison. WRX is all over the place.

If you like a muscle car, Mustang GT/350 is a good candidate, but every time I get into a Mustang I feel like I am in a boat. LOL.

I also live in Northern VA, if you need help with anything "EVO" just let me know.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Honestly, go drive a Honda Type R - very very fun car