Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Grinding noise when decelerating/engine braking below 20mph

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding noise when decelerating/engine braking below 20mph

This used to happen occasionally but as of today every time the speedometer crosses 21mph it makes a loud grinding noise all the way down to 0. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in (SST), if I'm in neutral, or if I'm on the brakes or engine braking/coasting. There is no grinding when accelerating at any speed or decelerating above 20mph.

Here's a video: https://streamable.com/wyyxf

Other than this loud grinding the car drives perfect, shifts perfect, and makes no other noises. I'm stumped by this because some threads lead to it being the t-case but they don't have the noise at a specific speed range.

2010 Evo MR Touring
-Cobb AP Stage1+
-Cobb SF Intake
-Corsa Catback
Old Jul 21, 2019, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Can you feel it in the pedal or shifters?

Feels like transfer case based on how you describe it is there any way to hook up a mic closer to that to see if it is the noise you're hearing? Those are about $4500 new which sucks, but you could probably find a used one as well there are a lot of retired MR's around with more than likely pristine transfer cases.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Can you feel it in the pedal or shifters?
I'm not sure what you mean by this as its an MR w/ the SST so when slowing down it feels normal. Also, could it still be the transfer case even if hear the noise when coasting to a stop in neutral?