Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Fuel System Woes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2023, 06:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel System Woes

Hey guys, Having issues building boost getting past half throttle/10-15psi boost. I'm sure this is fuel related but I'm lost as to where. forgive me if this post is kind of long but I'll start here:Mods to the fuel system:
  1. id1300x
  2. Fuel lab mini AFPR
  3. AMS rail and dampener
  4. 10 micro inline filter ,
  5. stock fuel lines, Bulletproof dual pump hanger (running single 450)
  6. Hardwired and relayed running 13.5-13.7 volts constant
Everything was running tip top of a hot second after installing my last mod being the double pump hanger. I did this because I was tired of how finicky the stock hanger was running a 450 and kinking the lines on and off. One day, car was struggling to start and hold idle, drove like **** and wasn't boosting over 10-12 psi. turns out the fuel filter was clogged to hell from 1 year of e85 here in SoCal:

cleaned the filter, car is running **** again! untill...she didn't lol. Went to idle the car, and she died after 30 seconds. I had to plug one of the pump spots since I am still only running 1 pump in a double pump hanger. I had put a brass plug with a fuel line clamp on the hose for the second pump, and the pressure caused it to pop out and fly around in the fuel bucket. So I dove back in there, used a nice long bolt as a plug and secured it again so just the 1 pump feeds.

After plugging the second pump feed, and wrapping it all back up together, the car can't run right. it's holding fuel pressure super stable at idle, I set it to 50 psi base pressure with the vacuum line off and it drops to about 43 when reconnecting the vacuum line so everything seems fine there...

I bought 20ft of -6AN line and fittings to see if maybe the feed/return lines are the issue but I am doubtful since she WAS technically running fine before my first plug popped out.

Any ideas, advice, or simple tests I can try are much appreciated.

I am also in the process of installing a Fuel Pressure digital gauge in the cabin, but am having trouble with finding a good ground that doesn't offset the reading
​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​

Last edited by FckingTrippy; Aug 7, 2023 at 07:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EpsilonxSigma (Aug 7, 2023)
Old Aug 7, 2023, 12:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Username checks out! Luv it! Sorry, I don't have any feedback for you, but by the end of today I'll be the new owner of either a 2013 EVO MR or a 2015 EVO Final Edition. Both have been given a dual E-85/91 octane tune. The MR has been running E-85 too much to my liking it seems. My philosophy is if you're going to be driving a high performance, high compression N/A or Turbocharged car, stick with 91 day in day out (or that beautiful 93 back in my home state of Florida). I hate E-85 in my car. So, your issue is very interesting to me. Hope everything gets sorted out for you!

Last edited by EpsilonxSigma; Aug 7, 2023 at 12:12 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
How did the pickup sock filter look? Did you have any rubber in the tank that might have degraded and clogged up that inline filter? (Just looking at your port plug hose) There's a chance that whatever messed up your filter is gumming up your injectors.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by splattj
How did the pickup sock filter look? Did you have any rubber in the tank that might have degraded and clogged up that inline filter? (Just looking at your port plug hose) There's a chance that whatever messed up your filter is gumming up your injectors.
pickup sock was clean' had a little "dust" on it , looked like a couple brass flakes from my plug probably bouncing around very briefly. checked the filter again after slapping this back all together and it was still spotless.

I couldn't find a way in evoscan to test individual injectors like on 8/9's. I guess It wouldn't hurt to pull one out and eyeball it

thanks
Old Aug 23, 2023, 06:24 AM

Update to this thread. Things I've tried:

-3 different fuel pumps. 2 spare 450's and a buddy's 340 that was for sure known working .

every pump I throw in there squeels like a pig. never heard these pumps so loud.

-Made a new feed line with -6 ptfe and new fittings, using the OEM feed as the return with new lines made for it on engine side and gas tank side as well

-purchased all new vacuum line in case one of them is ruptured and not visible to the eye

-also purchased and waiting for more in tank submersible hose just in case there is a rupture there too that I can't see, who knows.

-Spoke with fuel labs and they assured me it sounds like a delivery problem and advised they don't thing the fpr is bad....I purchased a service kit anyway and will be cracking it open to check the diaphragm.

-lastly I'll try to flash my last map just for sanity in case this is turn related and my flash got corrupted ? who knows

for drops fuel pressure as soon as I hit load. I start at around 42-44fp, rises to about 46-48 then drops like a sack of potatoes to 28-30 as soon as boost builds and she just backfires and doesn't accelerate

I plan to update the thread when I find the issue.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
The pump squeal concerns me. I'd pin that on a restriction in the feed side of the system and it sounds like it has to be your fuel hanger or the way your pumps are installed on it or maybe the way your pump is installed in the hanger or maybe there's something to having that second pump port blocked. BPR doesn't look super friendly to the DIY mechanic but it might be worth reaching out. What if you put a "Y" in the outlet of your pump line and fed both hanger ports from the one pump?
Old Aug 23, 2023, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by splattj
The pump squeal concerns me. I'd pin that on a restriction in the feed side of the system and it sounds like it has to be your fuel hanger or the way your pumps are installed on it or maybe the way your pump is installed in the hanger or maybe there's something to having that second pump port blocked. BPR doesn't look super friendly to the DIY mechanic but it might be worth reaching out. What if you put a "Y" in the outlet of your pump line and fed both hanger ports from the one pump?
The Y sounds like a *****in idea to be honest. The design of the hanger basically relies on the rubber hose holding the pump in place untill the bucket goes over it with a set screw

Admittedly, he puts a "install by professional" claim on his site and no instructions anywhere. I've reached out multiple times to Alex at bpr. He either uses a 5/16 plug or a second pump just not wired in place. both of which I've tried at this point.

Kind of irritated that the feed barbs are not threaded and are just machined 1 piece from the top hat. Otherwise an NPT or ORB plug would have settled this weeks ago. Although that's my opinion, and I know multiple people with this setup working just fine. I may try swapping the pump to the back position just for giggles since I'll be diving back in to change the hoses for piece of mind. I'll try to be creative with some type of Y situation, but I'm not hopeful.

Lmk if you have any other ideas, appreciate the feedback 🙏
Old Sep 3, 2023, 06:50 AM

Problem Solved*SS fuel filters, all though claim are "cleanable", mine was like a solid wall when trying to push 100psi from an air compressor through it. Do yourself a favor and avoid Turbosmart / Speed flow filters like the plague. Injector Dynamics F750 is the only viable option that lets you know when it's plugged and gives you pressure differential as an indicator. Thanks for those who stuck with my madness
Old Nov 15, 2023, 09:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you have any rubber in the tank that might have degraded and clogged up that inline filter? (Just looking at your port plug hose) There's a chance that whatever messed up your filter is gumming up your injectors.

Last edited by DerickMadron; Nov 15, 2023 at 09:42 AM.