EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/335956-evo-x-mr-turned-down-because-t.html)

Joe's Evo X Apr 1, 2008 02:33 PM

Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t

Well I figured I would throw this out there. How many people (LIKE ME) turned away from buying the MR and bought a GSR because the MR has an A/T. IMO I have to have the feel of a M/T there is nothing else like it. Maybe if I buy a truck or a luxy. car down the road ill get an A/T MAYBE but not my EVO:mitsu: {thumbup}

Spazpilot Apr 1, 2008 02:45 PM

I also bought a GSR for this reason. Just not feelin the SST Tranny. Hopefully they will eventually make a Traditional 6 speed manual MR.

love9sick Apr 1, 2008 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X (Post 5485980)
[B]Well I figured I would throw this out there. How many people (LIKE ME) turned away from buying the MR and bought a GSR because the MR has an A/T.

Me, Auto is for sissy girls.

Kdogg71 Apr 1, 2008 02:50 PM

Bambi and I also bought the GSR because we wanted a manual.

I'm really glad we did too because I tried one of the new GTS' with the paddles and a 2.4L, and I have to say it was somewhat difficult to stay completely focused on driving while trying to figure out the paddles. Obviously, shifting wouldn't create a distraction for very long, but for someone that has only ever owned manuals, it was an uncomfortable feeling.

...again, my experience with the paddles was on a GTS and not on an evo. I'm just offering my thoughts on the paddles alone.

Joe's Evo X Apr 1, 2008 02:57 PM

I have to say that i do agree with everybody so far. I just cant see some one owning an evo then you look inside and you see an A/T {thumbdwn} :mad: For me 5sp or 6 sp is the way to go. How are you suppost to do the famious 5500 rpm launch on an A/T. Now if the MR came in a 5 or 6sp that would be awesome{thumbup}

love9sick Apr 1, 2008 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X (Post 5486127)
I have to say that i do agree with everybody so far. I just cant see some one owning an evo then you look inside and you see an A/T {thumbdwn} :mad: For me 5sp or 6 sp is the way to go. How are you suppost to do the famious 5500 rpm launch on an A/T. Now if the MR came in a 5 or 6sp that would be awesome{thumbup}

+1 :thumbup:

gizmotoy Apr 1, 2008 03:02 PM

Even if it is faster and ends up being reliable, which I think it in doubt at this time, I'd still have gotten the manual. If the MR had been available with a traditional manual, I would have bought that.

I'm still of the opinion that Mitsubishi strapped the GSR with a 5spd instead of a 6 to make the TC-SST look faster in comparison. Maybe they'll listen and add a 6spd option to the MR in later years.

Teraxx Apr 1, 2008 03:09 PM

It's due to market forces and the bottom line...Studies consistently show that 90%of vehicles bought in the US are automatics (I think the percentage is only slightly lower than that for sports cars). Since they want the MR to be the biggest seller of the bunch and save costs at the factory, this is why there is no manual MR.

However, in the future, if demand for a stick grows, they may rethink the decision to have a 6 speed manual MR. But, doubtful imo.

Joe's Evo X Apr 1, 2008 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by gizmotoy (Post 5486150)
Even if it is faster and ends up being reliable, which I think it in doubt at this time, I'd still have gotten the manual. If the MR had been available with a traditional manual, I would have bought that.

I'm still of the opinion that Mitsubishi strapped the GSR with a 5spd instead of a 6 to make the TC-SST look faster in comparison. Maybe they'll listen and add a 6spd option to the MR in later years.

Well i highly dought that the MR is faster then the GSR you cant beleive the magizne and there number. The only way to know for sure is to do it your self lol. I ran a 13.50 at 103mph in the 1/4mile stock at 3700ft above sea level. With a 1.9 60ft

theoverachiever Apr 1, 2008 03:14 PM

As good as the TC-SST may be, id rather do the shifting myself. I figure I have 2 feet so i may as well use them. 10 cars so far and all of them with a "proper" transmission.

thatmr2guy Apr 1, 2008 03:26 PM

tell an f1 racer that if he was a real racer he would have never used a sequential gear box!

whenever you can focus more on your line, and have perfect consistent shifts you will always be a leg up on a standard m/t. the sequential manual transmissions are rampant in pro racing. its not about feel its about performance.

Of course clubbing an animal to death maybe more fun than shooting it with a 30.06......

ggevoIX Apr 1, 2008 03:27 PM

even tho i not going to get an X, i do totally agree wid u and if i had to i'd only buy a gsr cuz of the manual transmission...

CharlesJ Apr 1, 2008 03:38 PM

Nothing can replace the feel of a good manual, but ultimately, automated manuals (not a/t) are the way of the future and already heavily incorporated on many of the worlds high end sports cars. It does lack some of the feel and can be a bit video game, but once you get used to it (which doesnt take long) it does allow you to concentrate much more on driving and will allow you to be faster. In the case of the evo, it is NOT faster from a standing start as the MR is not designed for drag racing.

I am a bit torn myself, but I would gladly do an MR, or GTR for that matter.

Shahul X Apr 1, 2008 03:40 PM

I dunno... I can see the point in both...I think traditional manual is more "fun" and I know as much as I say I will shift with paddles in the GTR that I will end up in auto mode 90% of the time after the novelty wears off....

but this is the new tech.... and like its been said...in F1 they use paddles...

DirectorSe7en Apr 1, 2008 03:40 PM

How can anyone criticize a car they haven't driven?

This thread =

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...inkingfail.jpg