EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Won't start. Seeking insight. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/753518-wont-start-seeking-insight.html)

CaptainCrunch Mar 13, 2019 12:28 PM

Won't start. Seeking insight.

Hi guys. 2015 GSR, Roughly 45k miles. Late 2014 build. Basically stock. Sat for 2 days, garaged in NJ. Cold at night is about 30 degrees. Car cranks.. all lights, alarm, radio, headlights work. I disconnected negative terminal on battery for 15 minutes, tried both keys, and its still a no go. In the past, I found sometimes I would go to start the Evo and it would turnover, but barely. It was almost as if it wanted to die immediately but never did.

Any ideas? I have roadside coming to attempt a jumpstart. And I guess if that doesn't work I have to tow to a NJ Mitsubishi dealership which I have had no luck whatsoever with. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Update: Roadside came and got it going. He kept cranking while tapping the gas. Eventually it started making a different sound and fired up. Ton of smoke out the back end. He said maybe the starter or fuel pump?

Update Update: No clue if this is anything or just some road trash I ran into. haha

https://i.ibb.co/qxb1fS3/evoooooo.jpg

Napalm_Enema Mar 13, 2019 02:07 PM

When did you last replace the fuel relays?

CaptainCrunch Mar 13, 2019 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema (Post 11864363)
When did you last replace the fuel relays?

Never, I believe. Truthfully, I never even heard of them being a maintenance thing.

Blue_Lion Mar 13, 2019 03:32 PM

CaptainCrunch Mar 13, 2019 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_Lion (Post 11864372)

Hey, thank you! You think thats the source of my issues? How difficult is this install? How often do you recommend these get swapped?

Which set should I get? The MAP one has 4 relays.. doesn't say which. And the Kozmic has 5.

Napalm_Enema Mar 13, 2019 06:49 PM

Stupid easy - plug and play - I'd try that first then go further with things. Get a few of them since so cheap in case you need in teh future.

CaptainCrunch Mar 13, 2019 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema (Post 11864393)
Stupid easy - plug and play - I'd try that first then go further with things. Get a few of them since so cheap in case you need in teh future.

Awesome. Thanks so much! Can I ask.. which set should I buy? How many do I need in one set of swapping? One has 4 the other has 5. I assume they are different types.

Napalm_Enema Mar 13, 2019 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch (Post 11864401)
Awesome. Thanks so much! Can I ask.. which set should I buy? How many do I need in one set of swapping? One has 4 the other has 5. I assume they are different types.

I'd hit up Kozmic and ask them, they would be able to better suggest than I. Give them a shout tomorrow good bunch of guys.

Blue_Lion Mar 13, 2019 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch (Post 11864401)

I know it says kozmic has five but I read in another forum that it ended up coming with four as well. So I would also say to definitely ask and confirm. Even if that doesn’t solve the problem, you’re pretty much solving another that can potentially cause you to be stranded miles away from home waiting for a tow. No one wants that. Good luck!

CaptainCrunch Mar 14, 2019 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema (Post 11864406)
I'd hit up Kozmic and ask them, they would be able to better suggest than I. Give them a shout tomorrow good bunch of guys.

Got it. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Blue_Lion (Post 11864415)

I know it says kozmic has five but I read in another forum that it ended up coming with four as well. So I would also say to definitely ask and confirm. Even if that doesn’t solve the problem, you’re pretty much solving another that can potentially cause you to be stranded miles away from home waiting for a tow. No one wants that. Good luck!

Good info. Appreciate it. I will contact them and report back. Thanks again!

DesertDog57 Mar 14, 2019 03:27 PM

Sounds to me like you had a flooded engine judging by the ton of smoke coming out. I had the same problem recently but mine was flooded so bad it fowled my spark plugs and tainted my oil. But the dealership dried out the cylinders and got it started with a bunch of smoke coming out. My flooding was due to starting the car and then turning it off right away, apparantly evos dump a bunch of gas in to start up and you have to let it run for a bit or else it will flood. If you press the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there before you turn the keys to start it, it will enter a clear-flood mode and cut all gas to the engine. Alternatively if you aren't getting enough fuel due to "winter gas", you can turn your key on and off to prime it.

CaptainCrunch Mar 14, 2019 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by DesertDog57 (Post 11864528)
Sounds to me like you had a flooded engine judging by the ton of smoke coming out. I had the same problem recently but mine was flooded so bad it fowled my spark plugs and tainted my oil. But the dealership dried out the cylinders and got it started with a bunch of smoke coming out. My flooding was due to starting the car and then turning it off right away, apparantly evos dump a bunch of gas in to start up and you have to let it run for a bit or else it will flood. If you press the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there before you turn the keys to start it, it will enter a clear-flood mode and cut all gas to the engine. Alternatively if you aren't getting enough fuel due to "winter gas", you can turn your key on and off to prime it.

Whoa, really interesting. Thank you. I know for a fact before I last drove it and shut it down for that two or three days, that I had started it up in my garage for a few seconds and just turned it off without driving it. Interesting that this happened to me right after I did what you mentioned. And thanks for the what to do tips in case I run into such scenarios in the future, very very helpful.

CaptainCrunch Mar 14, 2019 10:08 PM

Can you gentlemen clarify this for me please.

maperformance has a TSB linked showing this below. It shows 4 relays being replaced. Then a popular forum shows earlier Evos needing a separate relay replaced. I have a 2015.. should I do all 5 of these? What havea you all been doing? Its not about the money.. its more about not doing something I shouldn't. What has everyone done? Thanks.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...5f5e9ee96c.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...f49c3d31d5.jpg

TurboTJ Mar 14, 2019 10:30 PM

I had the exact same thing happen at 43k miles on my 2013 MR. I called the dealer and planned to get it towed.

Heres what I was instructed to do and it worked perfectly.

Get in the car and hold the gas pedal to the floor. 100% pinned down, not half throttle. When the ECU sees 100% throttle, it will shut off the injectors and let the gas clear the cylinders. After cranking it for a few seconds, stop, give it a sec, and then start it normally.

Napalm_Enema Mar 15, 2019 07:20 AM

Awesome DesertDog I'd forgotten about your issues when Captain had his. That's more than likely the culprit good call out!