Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Front Clip Removal with intercooler pipes installed.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't take off the bumper for the UICP install and don't have any leaks. You just need to take the plastic panel under the intake inlet. There's just not a ton of room there to tighten the coupler but it's not too bad.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

I looked at that option but for the Time and pain to try and do it with the front clip on. you can take it off, and then make sure all your clamps are really tight. I did this completely on the garage floor with a piece of cardboard. really its not a big deal.

Last edited by mksevo; Jun 5, 2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Mr Bonus, was it really necessary to take the bumper off for the UICP install? If so that sucks, what a pain in the *** for such a simple mod. Oh yeah, good write up mksevo. We always appreciate the people who take the time to do these "how to's."
You can but it's a pain in the *** and very uncomfortable. The first time I put mine on, I didn't get the coupler all the way over the intercooler, causing a leak. It was simply easier on my hands to not contort and try and adjust everything so I removed the front clip.

By the way, it'll take you 20 minutes to remove the first time and all of 5-10 to put it back on. It's really easy, plus you can get an idea of how all of your piping lines up.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Great write up and pictures, and super easy to follow. Nice work

Tom
Old Jun 5, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Great DIY

With all due respect, and in no way disrespecting the original, here’s a compilation of the how to remove the front bumper. I just compiled it all in a small printable pdf so you can print it and then reference to it while you’re removing the front bumper. I did it for myself, since I’m installing my new intercooler tomorrow, and decided that maybe someone else could use a printed version as well.

Thanks for the great write up and pictures MKSEVO. I was a little afraid of removing the front bumper, but thanks to your DIY I see it’s not that difficult.

http://www.tintimage.com/evo/evo_x_front_bumper_removal_c.pdf
Old Jun 5, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up! Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks All the tips and tricks are helpful. having it on a printed page is very handy.

Originally Posted by saulbyu
Great DIY

With all due respect, and in no way disrespecting the original, here’s a compilation of the how to remove the front bumper. I just compiled it all in a small printable pdf so you can print it and then reference to it while you’re removing the front bumper. I did it for myself, since I’m installing my new intercooler tomorrow, and decided that maybe someone else could use a printed version as well.

Thanks for the great write up and pictures MKSEVO. I was a little afraid of removing the front bumper, but thanks to your DIY I see it’s not that difficult.

http://www.tintimage.com/evo/evo_x_front_bumper_removal_c.pdf
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:25 AM

how the hell do i remove the plastic clips in the air duct? They have a X in the top like for a phillips screw driver, so i figured i would be able to unscrew them...but they just spin forever. WTF am i doing wrong?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

relax.. they are plastic and strip easy . normally you just lightly twist them and they should start to come up dont push down hard with the screw driver . it this doesnt work the use a knife or sharp edge blade to get under the head and pry up on it as you are twisting it out with the screw driver. worst case , just get a flat head screw driver and pry up on the whole piece and pop it out. , its only plastic.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

dude you are the man
Old Jul 22, 2008, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Sweet. Thx for this I spent 2 hours trying to do it without taking the front clip off. I cant hardly get my hands where they need to go. Think Im just going to order a FMIC and LICP before I go to all this trouble though. PDF file is awsome to.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

awesome write up!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:23 PM

this is a good explanation for those who would be needing help installing their piping...including me lol
Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

I am glad this has been helpful. Keep the mods coming.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

mksevo,

Great info, man. Thanks for doing the writeup.

Where there any clearance issues with the plastic top cover and the ETS upper pipe? Did you have to trim any? Is the plastic close enough to rub the piping? I am installing IC Piping this weekend and it looks like the stock pipe is pretty close.

Quick Reply: Front Clip Removal with intercooler pipes installed.