Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Carbon gauge mount prototype

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon gauge mount prototype

Well, I wasn't happy with the current gauge location options for the X, so I decided to turn a local fabricator loose on the car and see what he could come up with. I am now VERY satisified with the results.

The location is perfect for me because it doesn't block line of site at all, doesn't block the instrument panel and is readily viewable in a 500+hp car at WOT (something A-pillar and console mounts can't say). It is also very rigid, mounting to to the same bolt holes as the radio unit, and there is no pod vibration.

This is definitely still a prototype and isn't as polished as a mass produced unit. I do like the one-off race-car feel that it has to it though. Not sure if we'll be making others at this point. It was fairly labor intensive, so cost will be the deciding factor. There is also a small notch that needs to be removed from the dash, so that might offend the purists.

The gauges themselves are AEM digital, and match the OEM red well. If I were to do it over though, I would have went with an analog to match the white spedo and tach.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Tractionlimit; Nov 11, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Thats pretty nice but I couldn't bring myself to cut into my dash like that, plus I have the navigation system. I think I'm going to go the route of using that vent by the driver's side window (top vent) to route the cable through and probably rivet a sheet of carbon fiber to cover/clean everything up....kinda like some of those track cars.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

looks really nice. To not cut into your dash can you mount them in the center about your gauge cluster?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MAS2377TECH
Thats pretty nice but I couldn't bring myself to cut into my dash like that, plus I have the navigation system. I think I'm going to go the route of using that vent by the driver's side window (top vent) to route the cable through and probably rivet a sheet of carbon fiber to cover/clean everything up....kinda like some of those track cars.
Yeah, I hear ya. My car is kinda bastardized already, so I wasn't as concerned with the hole, plus it's not noticable at all except in these closeup pics. I do like the idea of running the wires through the vent. How would you secure the actual pod though?

Originally Posted by EVO_MERLE
looks really nice. To not cut into your dash can you mount them in the center about your gauge cluster?
Probably do-able, but I think there is already a 3-pod like that. And I wasn't a huge fan. I didn't want to block any view of the road.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Well your is a custom on off peace right? Looks great i was asking because of what the other guy asked.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks man. Yeah, its custom mounted to the dash bolts. It would be something a bit different to mount it above the panel.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

They look good man
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:33 AM

Looks good..
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good, how do u think it would look with one on each side of the driver column?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo unknown
looks good, how do u think it would look with one on each side of the driver column?
If you mean mounted on the steering column, there isn't as much room to do that as the old Evos. blocks the tach & speedo to much for me. If you mean having a mirror image of this on the other side of the wheel, that would be cool if you want 4 gauges.

Last edited by Tractionlimit; Nov 12, 2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:28 PM

your needles on the speedo come white? mine are that gay amber i want to switch it anyone know how to??
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Looks great! I would love to get that same kind of setup and put more along the top. AFR/boost/EGT/oil temp/oil press. You're definitely right about the visibility even at WOT. Perfect location!

Let me know if you/he make more!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flyguycfi
Looks great! I would love to get that same kind of setup and put more along the top. AFR/boost/EGT/oil temp/oil press. You're definitely right about the visibility even at WOT. Perfect location!

Let me know if you/he make more!
Thanks! I'm sure he would be willing to do more, but at this point it is still kind of a one-off type deal. I think he's hoping to have some local interest first so he can do the install himself and make sure everything is good from a fit & finish standpoint.

Last edited by Tractionlimit; Nov 12, 2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tractionlimit
Thanks,

I'm sure he would be willing to do more, but at this point it is still kind of a one-off type deal. I think he's hoping to have some local interest first so he can do the install jimself and make sure everything is good from a fit & finish standpoint.
Sounds like a plan. Get some R&D and fine tune that design and you have a buyer.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:22 AM

that set up is nice real clean look

Quick Reply: Carbon gauge mount prototype