Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

p. coated stock wheels ( not black )

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 07outty
..i had everthing set up with wheel/tire guy and powder coater in advance

to keep minimum down-time. yes , set car on blocks for a couple days.
blocks as in jack stands or what? i'm very very curious as i want to do it very, very soon i'm thinking of getting 4 jack-stands while mine are done, sound good ?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lancerarmstrong
blocks as in jack stands or what? i'm very very curious as i want to do it very, very soon i'm thinking of getting 4 jack-stands while mine are done, sound good ?
He probably means Blocks as in Cinder blocks.

Jack Stands are definitely better in my opinion.

Although most Jack stand manufacturers will say to not put a car up in the air completely with Jack stands. Usually they say to do one end/side or the other.

But I have successfully left my car in the air for weeks on nothing but jackstands.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

looks really really good!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeystacoshack
He probably means Blocks as in Cinder blocks.

Jack Stands are definitely better in my opinion.

Although most Jack stand manufacturers will say to not put a car up in the air completely with Jack stands. Usually they say to do one end/side or the other.

But I have successfully left my car in the air for weeks on nothing but jackstands.
ok cool good to know. my powdercoater does all the race bike (bicycles) and race car wheels in this area and they said that since my wheels are aluminum that sandblasting ruins the metal (apparently) and so they're going to acid-dip them they did the wheels on my GTS when i had it and they were awesome!

btw even the lowest setting on most jackstands means you have to really jack your car into the air lol! i have 3 jacks though so that shouldnt be a problem
Old Nov 4, 2010, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

looks great. i got mine done last week too. its a super bright lime green color
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

...rear supported by 2 large jack-stands.

front supported by 2 large wood blocks ( cut-offs from an 8 x 12 beam )
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:16 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
ok cool good to know. my powdercoater does all the race bike (bicycles) and race car wheels in this area and they said that since my wheels are aluminum that sandblasting ruins the metal (apparently) and so they're going to acid-dip them they did the wheels on my GTS when i had it and they were awesome!

btw even the lowest setting on most jackstands means you have to really jack your car into the air lol! i have 3 jacks though so that shouldnt be a problem
Your BBS wheels are forged. Please make sure your powder coater knows that powder coating forged aluminum is a completely different process than normal powder coating. If you powder coat forged wheels under normal conditions you can significantly weaken them and cause them to break under high speed.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...um-wheels.html
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:55 PM

looks really nice man
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:16 PM

If anyone lives in MD there is a place close to Frederick that you have to bring just rims without tires and he sand blast them and powdercoats them what ever color for 150 for all 4. luckly i have a local shop and they let me go in and mount and balance them for free
Old Nov 4, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Your BBS wheels are forged. Please make sure your powder coater knows that powder coating forged aluminum is a completely different process than normal powder coating. If you powder coat forged wheels under normal conditions you can significantly weaken them and cause them to break under high speed.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...um-wheels.html
yea when i asked if it mattered that they were forged aluminum they said they had to not only acid-dip them to strip the factory coating, but also bake them at a lower temperature. if it were regular aluminum alloy apparently they only need to acid-dip them and not care about the normal bake temp? i'll show them that document you showed me a link to though just to make sure they get the right temp. because they're aluminum though i guess sand-blasting also messed up the metal's properties as well, so acid-dip is the way to go.

Last edited by lancerarmstrong; Nov 4, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 07:16 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
yea when i asked if it mattered that they were forged aluminum they said they had to not only acid-dip them to strip the factory coating, but also bake them at a lower temperature. if it were regular aluminum alloy apparently they only need to acid-dip them and not care about the normal bake temp? i'll show them that document you showed me a link to though just to make sure they get the right temp. because they're aluminum though i guess sand-blasting also messed up the metal's properties as well, so acid-dip is the way to go.
Yah, definitely 100% get them acid dipped. It's much cleaner as well. It would take forever to sandblast these wheels.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo10HKS
looks good, if you plan on keeping the wheels for a bit i would get some spacers, would look a lot better
....i agree.

what thickness would look the best ?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 07outty
50 each wheel to sand-blast and p.c.

60 to remount tires and balance.

color is....i don't know.

i told the p.c. guy " i want them dark, but not black".
Not a bad price, I asked my guy and he quoted me $55 a wheel, I didn't do it then. Came back after 6 months, he didn't remember me and wanted $85 a wheel. Forget that. I've been quoted $90 a wheel plus powder cost, by more reputable guys of course..
Looks great.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:23 PM

Nicely done!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:52 PM
TGZ

Ya they came out really good.