Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

TPMS problem with Work 11R-FT

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS problem with Work 11R-FT

I recently bought Work 11R-FT and had new tires mounted onto them. The shop swapped over my stock TPMS sensors and within an hour the tires were down on air, and one was even flat. I had them redo the valve stems with another rebuild kit and this helped, but the tires were still losing about 1 lb or more of air per hour.

The shop claims that the stock TPMS sensors do not sit correctly inside of these wheels and I have since had to switch to the valve stems that came with the wheels so that I don't need to be around an air compressor every couple hours.

I searched and saw that a lot of people were able to swap their stock TPMS sensors to their new aftermarket wheels without any issues, but I can't seem to get mine to work. Any suggestions??
Old May 30, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

That sounds really strange. If I were you, I'd ask the tire shop to dismount a tire in good faith to show you why it's not working. My guess is the angle of the tpms base makes the valve stem not sit flush in the valve stem opening causing a leak. You could possibly get a new set of tpms sensors? But I'd ask to see it first.
Old May 30, 2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Boltz.
That sounds really strange. If I were you, I'd ask the tire shop to dismount a tire in good faith to show you why it's not working. My guess is the angle of the tpms base makes the valve stem not sit flush in the valve stem opening causing a leak. You could possibly get a new set of tpms sensors? But I'd ask to see it first.
That's exactly what they said was the problem. Would this be an issue with the design of the wheel not allowing enough room for the sensor to sit flush? If that's the case then it looks like I'm stuck with the warning light on
Old May 30, 2011, 08:31 AM

I had the same issues with the exact same wheels. The first time I got them back from the shop, they all leaked and were pretty much flat within an hour. I had the shop redo them and for awhile, they all held air fine. Now, one of them is starting to leak about 6lbs a day....maybe I ran over something and have a real leak in the tire. I'm actually going to my friends place today who happens to have a lift...gonna get the soapy water out and check for tire leaks.

Only thing they said was they just had to work with em a little bit to make them hold air. I'll get details on what they had to do and report back soon.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Jones
I had the same issues with the exact same wheels. The first time I got them back from the shop, they all leaked and were pretty much flat within an hour. I had the shop redo them and for awhile, they all held air fine. Now, one of them is starting to leak about 6lbs a day....maybe I ran over something and have a real leak in the tire. I'm actually going to my friends place today who happens to have a lift...gonna get the soapy water out and check for tire leaks.

Only thing they said was they just had to work with em a little bit to make them hold air. I'll get details on what they had to do and report back soon.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one with this problem, hopefully you will be able to figure out a fix for this. Maybe one of the Work dealers, such as RavSpec, can shed some like on this. I sent them a PM asking about it.

Last edited by Sly Moose; May 30, 2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

I doubt work or any of their dealers would be able to remedy the situation.

The only thing I can think of is a possible aftermarket tpms sensor fitting. Or just doubling up lots of 3m double sided tape and using that to bridge the gap between the tpms and the wheel.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:52 AM

Yeah I'd like to know what RavSpec says about this. I didn't pay this much money for a car to have warning lights on, on purpose.
Old May 30, 2011, 04:00 PM

So I talked to the tire guy today. He said sensors weren't seated very well, my car was worked on by the new guy. The ferule nut was also not tight enough. It has to be properly torqued with tires off the rims. I'm not a tire guy so I'm just gonna take their word for it.

I did check my valve stem today and it's fine, I must have just ran over something and put a tiny puncture somewhere on the tire. It sat in the shop at 36 lbs all day, there's probably a hole that gets a little bigger once the tires heat up? Dunno.

Anyways, I hope you get it figured out man. They're a really nice set of wheels. Damn if we could just find some way to delete the sensor.
Old May 31, 2011, 04:12 PM

I ended up having the morons just put the valve stems that came with the wheels in for now and will take it to a more reputable shop, unfortunately at a much higher cost.

Also, I looked in the bag that the shop put the TPMS valve stems into and noticed that they snapped one of the sensors in half...fantastic. I now have to pay out of my pocket to replace this sensor. I called into their corporate office and filed a complaint stating that the people knowingly broke one of my sensors and failed to inform me or do anything to rectify the situation.

This entire experience has been less than ideal and has led me to second guess any possible chance of changing my wheels in the future.
Old May 31, 2011, 08:48 PM

Update: I put a crap load of air in the leaky tire, then got em' nice and hot. Parked and sprayed my soapy water on the valve stem. It's leaking from the base of the ferule. I'm betting the seal failed or something.

So yeah, I'm in the same boat now. Works coming off and being donated to a friend who doesn't care about the light. His stocks are going on my car so I don't have to worry about yanking out sensors that are possibly damaged. No more drama. Now I just have to figure out if the dealer can pick up the serial numbers from the sensors while mounted (like toyotas) or will they have to be read for the sensors themselves.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same problem with my 5zigen FN01RC.
The problem is the opening for valve stem on the wheels is a lot bigger than the diameter of the stem of our TPMS, that's why it wasn't sealing at all..

I believe you'll need one of those:
http://www.iforged.com/store/product...products_id=10
or
http://www.iforged.com/store/product...products_id=11
I have never tried any of these product, but I'm planning to get it done once and for all next time i change tires.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same issue with Enkei RPF1. The sensors wouldn't mount in the wheel without losing air. So I don't have them and have the dreaded warning light.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 08:22 AM

I'd be ok with the light if I only had to ack the alert once per drive. Opening doors and losing traction will trigger it again and show the service warning.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by initial_d2k
I have the same problem with my 5zigen FN01RC.
The problem is the opening for valve stem on the wheels is a lot bigger than the diameter of the stem of our TPMS, that's why it wasn't sealing at all..

I believe you'll need one of those:
http://www.iforged.com/store/product...products_id=10
or
http://www.iforged.com/store/product...products_id=11
I have never tried any of these product, but I'm planning to get it done once and for all next time i change tires.
Since valve stem size seems to be the issue, could you run a bead of silicone around the base of the valve stem to seal the gap? I know that this would mean that the sensors aren't going to be swapped to anything else, but if you plan on keeping the same set of wheels for a while, would this work?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:25 PM

Just got these wheels today having same issue.

Quick Reply: TPMS problem with Work 11R-FT