Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

KW Variant 3 Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2012, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup, 7k/7k will work very well.

- Andrew
Old Jan 7, 2012, 04:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jimm
I know the v3s set up for the street still uses 8/9 springs. As good as mine feel at 9/10 with the right compression setting, I would imagine that the 8/9 would be fine for most people given that the valving is not too different.
the OP said his 8/9 are stiff over bumps... I don't want something like that, I don't like slowing down to a crawl for bumps... my car is first and foremost a street car, street manners are most important to me, track/autox performance comes second. 7/7 will still be an improvement over stock or springs w/ stock dampers
Old Jan 7, 2012, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If mine can be adjusted to take bumps with higher spring rates and more aggressive valving, the stock V3s should be able to be fine in the street. The secret is in how you set the compression. I did not get it at first and thought mine were too harsh ...until I figured it out. Set compression first were it will give over bumps then adjust the rebound to not be bouncy or cavitate. Roads don't get much worse than Cleveland so if they work here they will most places...

Also the adjustments are not linear. They are progressive as you approach full stiff.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 04:55 PM
EvoM Guru

you also have the Robispec's, which have slightly different valving and different fluid, yours could be more compliant over bumps than regular KW V3's. so if I get them with the 8/9 rates and its to stiff for me, I gotta go blow another 2-300 (or how much ever springs cost) on new springs...
Old Jan 7, 2012, 05:06 PM

I have KW V3 too. Can't be more happy with the way the are. Used lower spring and another aftermarket one before, this is the one that provides the best experience on both street and track combined. Totally worth the money.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

My Eclipse has stock KW V3s on it and they feel like the stock GSR suspension if not a little better once adjusted. Fronts are 7 don't remember the rears but the car also weighs 5-600 lbs less than the Evo.

If any thing I would expect the valving to be more aggressive since I have the Clubsports which are different than the V3s. Robi's streets which are revalved V3s use 8/9. Guess you could play it safe and go with the softer spring. Will probably work out to be similar in price as Robi's streets so he could do that and know the car will handle better and not worse than stock which is always a worry with aftermarket suspension especially if you change from the original design (ie spring rates in this case).
Old Jan 7, 2012, 08:48 PM
EvoM Guru

you can't really compare coilovers for different applications...

7/7 springs are still way stiffer than stock, as long as the damping is right there will be in improvement in handling... 7/7 is already pretty much 2x as stiff, going even stiffer is sorta overkill... i'm never gonna run slicks or even r comps, for street tires 7/7 should be plenty...

but anyway, I'm not getting coilovers for another year or so, for now springs are enough. I'm gonna mod other parts of the car. so I got a year or so to figure out / obsess over what I really wanna do with coilovers... maybe I'll do AST 7/7... maybe I'll even splurge for some Ohlins...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Can't really directly compare spring rates between coilovers and regular struts.

Best thing to do is ride in a car with the setup you are considering. Mine compared pretty close to Ohlins wih similar springrates ....much better than cheap COs.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 01:03 PM
EvoM Guru

its closer than comparing the same brand coilovers on different cars

thats the problem, nobody locally has any of these, theres someone about 2 hours away with V3's... but thats it
Old Jan 8, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Agree to disagree. I bought the kws for the eclipse after having them on the Evo. Despite them being different model, different rates and on different cars, I put the same settings as I had on the Evo and they were pretty much right on. Ridden in two other cars with KWs (STIs) and they were pretty nice. Been in two different cars with Ohlins (Evo x and RX7) and same thing.

Point is that KW v3s are from the factory made to comfortable with extra performance as are Ohlins. You may be happy with the softer springs but not sure they are needed and it is a lot if money both in the car and in the COs to not be happy.

Probably worth the 2hr ride to find out.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 03:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, I plan on making that drive when the weather gets better
Old Jan 9, 2012, 07:40 AM

From what I am reading, the spring rates are F-9k/R-8k (514 lbs/inch front spring rates with 457lbs/inch rear spring rates).
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Other way around, 8 front, 9 rear
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:44 AM
Account Disabled

Glad to see a KW V3 review. They are a really nice suspension.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:59 AM

8k/9k would seem to make sense but, from what Oakos and Speed Element have posted the rates are F-9k/R-8k:

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merch...ory_Code=25800

http://www.speedelement.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=38

Quick Reply: KW Variant 3 Review